Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hamster vs Gerbils

JennG

Cavy Slave
Ok guys! I need some advice. We're looking into adopting either a hamster or a pair of gerbils. I'm looking for everyone's opinion. The said hamster/gerbils will be my 11yr old daughter's pets (but obviously, ultimately my responsibility) and I'm not sure which one would be better for her.

So, I'm asking for any and all advice on the subject. I've joined a forum for gerbils and one for hamsters. Both seem to have their pros & cons. I'm looking for a pet that my daughter will be able to care for easily and interact with. Thanks!

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
This is really personal opinion, but I prefer hamsters. Gerbils always seem too fast and difficult to interact with on a personal level. They each have their own issues and opportunities when it comes to care and feeding though. I would recommend making a list of the pros and cons of each and see which fits better into your lifestyle and that of your 11 year old. I'm sure she will be great at helping to care for the new family member.

fieryone

Cavy Slave
I've never had a gerbil, but we did have a dwarf hamster that we all loved. He was so sweet and cool and funny. He would come up to the side of the cage like a dog when someone would approach. We miss little Harry. I've heard that dwarf hamsters are more social and friendly than Syrian/teddy bear hamsters. I did also have a teddy bear hamster years ago and I would agree with that assessment. The dwarf was more interactive with his humans :)

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
See, perfect example of everyone having their own opinions and experiences. I've had Syrians and Dwarves and highly prefer the Syrian hamsters. Mine have all been very sweet and cuddly. Does your daughter have a preference?

JennG

Cavy Slave
I've heard that Syrians/golden hamsters/teddy bears are better w/ kids than the other types of hamster. She wanted a hamster at first but I got to talking w/ a few other people, one had gerbils and we are now stuck on which one to get.

sealion

Cavy Slave
My sister had a gerbil, and my sister had 3 hamsters (currently 1).
I really liked the gerbil, she was very playful and funny. I also like my sister's hamster (which is a syrian hamster) but what I don't like about them is that they are never awake during the day. When I hold them, they are really sweat, but I realise that they smell A LOT.
I also thinks it depends on the personality, because some gerbils are cuddlier/more playful than others, like with hamsters.
Like fieryone said, her dwarf hamster, Harry, was very sweat and would come up to the cage when people passed by, well my sister's dwarf hamster would bite all the time. It really depends on the personality of your new friend.

I hope you soon get your new adopted friend(s) and that you find the perfect match for your 11year old daughter !

JennG

Cavy Slave
Well, it looks like the hammies have won! My daughter has decided she wants a hamster. (I'd really like the looks of gerbils but it will be her pet.)
So, I spent the evening building her cage. What do you all think? I don't like the water bottle (it's a loaner) and will get a new one. Now, all we need is a hammie. I'm on the lookout for one. :)

Inside the cage:

The top of the cage (the "ventilation" is a cookie rack):

And a side view:

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Looks good Jenn! Hope you guys get a new little friend soon!

JennG

Cavy Slave
Thanks paula! I had fun making it. I'm sure we'll be getting different toys to change out for him/her.

sissy34427

Cavy Slave
I like both. They have to be similar because I had two hamsters and the food I bought was hamster/gerbil formula. You have a 11yr. daughter. I would recommend a hamster for her because the gerbils are tend to run and also hide in any place the can go. The hamsters also are fast but only the teddy's. The hamsters tend to bite at first but after a week or so they will know you a little better. I would get a hamster and it also depends on what she is more comfortable with. If you keep the pet in her room, they will all be a little noisy. I HIGHLY prefer guinea pigs. They sit in your lap and cuddle. They are not fast so they are easier to handle. They are nicer for the younger aged children. Hope that is any help.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.