Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bonding Two boars...

jjsmom1504

Cavy Slave
I am in the process of bonding two boars. They have not fought at all and its been 3 hours. Lots of humping and chasing. A little wheeking and chattering, but mostly just peaceful coexistence. How soon should I put them in their permanent cage?

AllysGuineas

Cavy Calm
Cavy Gazer
Keep with what you are doing for another day or two. Then would be a suitable time to put them into their permanent cage.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Sounds good.

How big is their permanent cage? Is there 2 - 3 of everything in it and is it completely cleaned?

jjsmom1504

Cavy Slave
Yup two of everything and just finished scrubbing it and washing linens

ferndalezoo

Cavy Slave
If they're not fighting now, as long as the cage is a good size, I'd put them together in the permanent cage now. If you keep putting them together and taking them apart, it'll just confuse them.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
I'd put them together in the cage and not wait. Repeatedly separating them only stresses them out more.

Cavies!

Cavy Slave
Congradulations on the new pig, I agree, you should put them together now. By the way is your cage at least a 2x4 so they can get away from each other if need be?

jjsmom1504

Cavy Slave
It's a 2x3 for now. I wasn't planning on getting the extra pig today. I kinda hijacked him from a preschool classroom because he was sad. The kids weren't very nice and the teacher hadn't clipped his nails, bathed him, he had no water and I felt bad for him..... So I took him and told the teacher how horrible she was....

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
It's a 2x3 for now. I wasn't planning on getting the extra pig today. I kinda hijacked him from a preschool classroom because he was sad. The kids weren't very nice and the teacher hadn't clipped his nails, bathed him, he had no water and I felt bad for him..... So I took him and told the teacher how horrible she was....

Next time for future reference you'll want to quarantine a new pig. Just keep an eye on both pigs for signs of possible illness and weigh daily.

jjsmom1504

Cavy Slave
I wasn't really worried about disease as he was born at the school and hasn't left there... Didn't think there was an issue with that.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
You never know, especially when they've been around other pigs. Also that kind of environment can be stressful which can make them more prone to illness. Just for future reference and congrats on your new piggy.

jjsmom1504

Cavy Slave
Just an update... I put them together and they were immediately ok. Still no fighting but Superman keeps humping Karmello...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.