Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior I want to hold my gp!

darkmuffins

Cavy Slave
Hi all!
I got my guinea pig about three months ago...
He lets me pet him, he eats out of my hand and plays with me. Nevertheless, he still doesn´t let me pick him up and hug him (unless I run after him for a while)... and I really, really want to hold him, he´s sooo cute!

Any advice on how to trick him, hehehe?

Many thanks!

freakywheeky

Cavy Gazer
You have to have patience and earn his trust. If he will eat out of your hand, then you are getting there. What I did was hold on to the food and only let your piggy have it if he will sit there and eat it while it is in your hand, gaining further trust. Give it time, he'll come around.

Skeetersmom

Cavy Slave
Mine will eat from my hands too but hate being pet or held. Skittles is pregnant so I am not forcing the issue right now. She comes running when I am in the room and eats from my hand but I can't touch her at all! I figure I just need to give them time!

TheJiraks

Cavy Slave
Both my pigs will eat from my hand and even let me pet them if I don't make any sudden movements. As soon as I go to pick them up though they make a run for it. I usually have to corner them and they put up a big fuss as I pick them up. As soon as I sit down though, it's like they let out this big sigh as if they are saying, "So THIS is what you had in mind!" They'll lay down flat in my lap and love being scratched behind the ears. Anyway, I guess I'm saying that mine love to be held, but hate to be picked up. I'm not sure why. They are well supported so I know they aren't getting hurt by the way I pick them up. I suppose it's just their skiddish nature.

Seonta

Cavy Slave
I have read that it sometimes helps to have the cage elevated rather than on the ground. Of course I do not know your cage situation, just throwing that out there.

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
It's taken my guinea pigs a long time to get used to me. I have one that loves being on my lap and stretches out then the other one sits on my lap looking scared like I'm going to eat her or something. One thing they like is being held with a blanket and being covered a little bit. It makes them feel more comfortable. With that being said they still make a run for it when I go to catch them and I will pretty much always expect that. They are prey animals and that's how they protect themselves.

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
Almost all guinea pigs hate being picked up. One thing that has worked for me is to say the pig's name, then rub my hands together, and then slowly pick the pig up. They get used to the sequence of events and know what is coming. They still run sometimes, but they have gotten a lot better.

Cavies!

Cavy Slave
When I first got my pig, it would always run around the cage when
I tried to pick him up untill I cornered him, but after a couple months he wouldnt try to run as much and now he doesnt resist at all. So I guess i'm saying it just takes time.

fieryone

Cavy Slave
I've had my pigs for almost 10 months and they still hate to be picked up. I just corner them in the cage and pick them up. They're fine once you actually catch them, it's just catching them that's the hard part. Mine don't run and fuss as much as they did in the beginning, but they still panic when they see "the hands"

greybear36

Cavy Slave
Out of my four piggies only one is happy to be picked up and that is Cookie. She just goes limp and relaxes in my hands ready for lap time but the other 3 always run!! Especially baby Fudge who cries and is still very nervous. Even Cookie has her off days though when she doesn't want to be picked up. Spike has mastered reverse gear too!! I have never seen a piggie move so quickly backwards!!! I read that it's because when they're picked up it feels like they're flying and is very frightening so when I think of it like that it's more understandable!! lol
They still love cuddles though!! :D

mariatito

Cavy Slave
My piggies, almost two monts old (I have them about 1 month now) hates to pick up. Candy don't like even to hold her and she tries to ascape from my cuddle, but Cherry, after a while, she is relaxe and enjoy my petting.
Candy eats from my hand, but Cherry not. When I put Cherry back in the cage, she looks for Candy!
I hope some day both of my piggies to come by themselves in me, to pet them and to show them my love...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.