Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vitamin C~ Liquid vs Tablet?

Podybears

Cavy Slave
Which is better? The liquid or the tablet? I need to purchase some online and I am not sure what my GP would like or is easier to take. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Please let me know what you have had luck with!

Anything helps,
Thanks in advance :)

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
The tablet is better vitamin c depletes very quickly in water and will make the water taste bad discouraging the pig from drinking. Go with the tablets.

LiciaMommycott

Cavy Slave
Ditto. My pigs didn't mind the taste in the water but it's true that water loses vitamin c quickly. Tablets are better but make sure you get high quality tablets that don't have added sugar. I got some from my vet and the pigs chomp them up like treats (at least one pig does - I'm actually not sure whether they each eat a pill or if one pig is eating both).

If they don't like the pills whole, you can crush them and sprinkle them in their pellets.

Dobby

Cavy Slave
My guys love the tablets. I buy the orange-flavoured C tablets for kids, and quarter them for the pigs. They eat them like piggy crack.

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
I use the oxbow vitamin c pellets. I only give them once weekly, just to be sure. They love them and they stay realy well.

LiciaMommycott

Cavy Slave
Dobby said:
My guys love the tablets. I buy the orange-flavoured C tablets for kids, and quarter them for the pigs. They eat them like piggy crack.
Check the ingredients. Most children's chewable vitamins have added sugar which isn't good for the pigs.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
There is a liquid form of Vitamin C that you give directly to the pigs and it does not go into their water. You can usually find it at health food stores.

Podybears

Cavy Slave
Thanks everyone for your info, it really helps.
I was wondering about the liquid vitamin C that you just give to the Gp and not in the water. Anyone use that?
I am leaning more towards the tablets.
I am just trying to weigh the pros and cons~

Dagwell- You said that you give them Oxbow Vitamin C once a week.
Are you supposed to give them about 10 to 30 mg a day of Vitamin C?
Or does the week thing work just as well?

Thanks again everyone :)

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
I am sure I give them enough fruits and veggies to get vitamin C. My mom got the oxbow things because the vet reccomended them I only give them once a week as a precautionary thing. So I dont have to ever worry about any vitamin c deficiencies.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Some people give the oxbow vitamin tablets to their pigs everyday, some give them once or twice per week and some only supplement their piggies when they are sick or pregnant. They are 50mg tablets.

LiciaMommycott

Cavy Slave
My vet said to give the tablets once per day but sometimes I am lax if I'm sure they're getting lots of fresh veggies.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.