Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Injury Guinea Pig Taking Out Staples

pridecity

Cavy Slave
I discovered yesterday that one of my new guys, Bugsie, had a large hole in his leg. It appears that he cut himself on a zip tie that had twisted around to face into the cage. It was a nice, clean cut and tore the skin and a thin layer of muscle. He really didn't seem to care too much. Thank goodness that it wasn't worse.

Anyway, I spent $170 or so for emergency care and such (thank goodness I'm a rescue for fish because then it would have been $258 instead. I was charged for an office visit instead of an ER visit). Anyway, Bugsie has three layers of stuff to hold his skin together while it heals: stitches on the muscle, staples under the skin, and staples on top of the skin.

The vet had told me that if he starts pulling out his staples to call him. However he is not in today and there are no cavy savy vets there at the moment. He'd also said that if I couldn't reach him to keep trying and become creative until I get hold of him.

So, here is my question. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make a sort of cone to put on a pig? It will have to be something he can't get out of, something he can't get caught, and something that will prevent him from reaching his back leg. It will have to last for about a week.

He is currently in a little tubberware container to relax from the other seven pigs. I know it's not the best thing for him, but I don't have an extra cage. The lid is off and I don't see any danger with him jumping out. I am planning on seeing how he does tonight in the regular cage. If the other pigs leave him alone, then he can stay. He really is only in there at night for the moment and gets to be on the couch here at work with me, so it is technically free time even if he doesn't do anything.

Anywho, ideas on getting him to stop chewing the staples out?

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I've had a pig in a homemade e-collar before. It's hard because they have such small necks, but if you can keep one on him that will keep him from pulling the staples out.

jenniwat001

Cavy Slave
you could put a type of sock on him (finger of a glove or something) just until you can get to the vet. Ive put a human sock with leg holes cut into it on my pig before to stop they chewing a scab.

Amsley246

Cavy Slave
Well, when my friends cat had something done to her (for the life of me I can't remember at this very moment) her dad put a coffee cup around her head! It was just one of those paper cups from a coffee shop, he cut a hole in it and stuck her head in. I dont know if that would work for a pig or not but that's my imput!

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
I've never had a pig particularly interested in pulling out staples or sutures as long as they were on pain medication. :) I'm terrible at making e-collars and have never successfully been able to!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.