Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior BORING guinea pigs!

Bunnah lover

Cavy Slave
My guinea pigs are BORING!
They don't play with toys or anything!
Personally I think there's something wrong with my pigs. Everybody always says, "Ohhhh, my guinea pig plays with parrot toys, aww!"
Mine don't do ANYTHING!

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
What size cage do you have them in and what are you feeding them?

Guinea pigs are very food motivated and aren't likely to play with toys like some other small animals are. You really have to be able to appreciate them for the sweet natured little creatures that they are. If you're hoping for something else, you're likely to be disappointed and that's not fair to them or you.

You could check this site for toy ideas too.

Bunnah lover

Cavy Slave
They eat everything everybody else feeds them.
The boy's is good. The females is small, but it doesn't really matter because she gets held a lot.
I love them and DO like them and respect them. :sad:

SheriMartini

Cavy Slave
With all due respect, guinea pigs are animals, not toys. Yes, they bring joy into our lives (who doesn't love to watch 'em popcorn ;) ), but they do not live their lives to entertain us.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
No, holding them does not mean they don't need an appropriately sized cage.

Is there a reason you have both a male and a female?

Bunnah lover

Cavy Slave
I have 2 males and a female.
And her cage is fine because she has been in a smallish cage all her life.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
No, that's not fine. She deserves a cage that at least meets the minimum requirements for a single pig (2x3). What size is your boys' cage?

SFailed186

Cavy Slave
Just because she's been in it all her life doesn't mean it's ok or fine.
In fact, I would extend regardless of the original size, just to make them happier and 'spice' up their lives.
That's probably why they "don't do anything", THEY are bored.

theresaj

Cavy Slave
This has to be the meanest thread I've ever seen here. Yeah, they don't do anything and they have nothing to do cause they're living in essentially a litter box.

Seonta

Cavy Slave
Beyond the size of the cage- what kind of toys have you tried?

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
They are bored - not boring.

You need to get them bigger / better housing as suggested on this site.

Your sow needs a friend too.

lissie

Cavy Slave
Do they get floor time?

lmarieaa

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs are living, breathing animals. They are not toys or objects solely for your amusement. They need good food, a good environment, and good handling. They get lonely and bored when kept by themselves, and live awful lives in small cages that pet stores sell.

You have two males and one female, are you planning to breed? Breeding is very dangerous for guinea pigs, and many time is fatal for both mother and pups. Judging by your previous posts, you do not know much about guinea pigs, so I strongly advise you not to breed them.

Just because your female guinea pig has lived in the same size small cage her entire life does not justify the fact that she is living her life in an environment that is much to small. A bigger cage (minimum of a 3x2) would be great for her. She needs the space, she needs to be able to run around to be happy. Pet store cages simply do not offer that. The proper amount of space to run around is essential, and holding her/lap time does not count as exercise or floor time.

She needs a female companion, to keep her company. Guinea pigs should not be kept singly as they are social by nature and are much much happier when in a least a pair.

It sounds to me like you purchased your guinea pigs (I assume you got them from a pet store....) without knowing too much about them, so you did not know what to expect when you actually got them home.

Guinea pigs are not toys.

Please read the forum stickies and learn more about your guinea pigs. Go to guinealynx.com and read, read, read, READ!:)

lilcavy

Cavy Slave
I can't believe you think its ok to keep your girl in a small cage because thats what she is used to! If you give her a huge cage, can you just imagine how high her popcorns will be! She will be sooooo happy that she can explore and run. I bet you will see a absolute diffrent pig then before!

lilcavy

Cavy Slave
I am terribly sorry but it is people like you that make this website ABSOLUTELY essential!
Animals have EVERY SINGLE feeling that u have and how would you like to be all alone in a room by yourself your entire life! I bet you would not like that at all.... so i bet your guinea pig is bored lonely and has nothing to look forward to every single day of her life! If you thing i am mean, i am sorry but the truth hurts!

sealion

Cavy Slave
I used to own one pig at a time (1 female, she died, 1 male, then he died, then I got a female) in a small petstore cage. I loved them, they were cute but I also thought they were boring, hated to clean the cage etc (it was ALWAYS dirty ! Well, I guess changing their litter pan every 3 days would do that...).
So, I decided to get my one piggy (Rose) a friend. She has changed sooo much ! She would cuddle with Lily, play with her, run around, play tag (but only during floor time, they could never do all these things inside their small cage...)
So, I researched on how to make a bigger cage, and I found this site :D. Now my piggies are VERY happy in their 2x4 cage ! I saw a complete change in them !
So, I highly suggest you get her a buddy (from a shelter, craigslist...maybe on petfinder.com) and build them at least a 2x3 cage.
Also, what do you mean by "ok" ? Because an "ok" sized cage for me is a 2x3...A pair of male piggies should have a 2x4 (that's what is recomended...)

Ilovemypiggies1

Cavy Slave
Mostly everyone else has said this but you need to upgrade the cage and make sure that the female is separated from the males. Upgrading the cage sizes will make a big improvement. Your males should have at least a 2x5 C&C cage and you should consider getting your female another female for a cage mate. In the wild guinea pigs are social animals and are required to have at least another same-sex cage mate to be happy and healthy. When you have two females they will need at least a 2x4 C&C cage. It seems as though your guinea pigs are very bored, that's why you think they're boring. Pet store cages aren't even big enough for one guinea pig.

When i build my two girls a 2x6 C&C cage (after they had been in a small and crammed pet store cage) i had now seen their personalities and they have become more active and happier. They love their C&C cage and it is very roomy for them, cheap, and easy to clean!

On this site there are also some toy ideas, you may want to check them out. Mine love brown paper bags.
Guinea Pig Toys and Play

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Folks, Bunnah lover hasn't been on this morning and hasn't had a chance to see this thread and reply to the questions. Let's wait and get some answers to the questions being asked before jumping to conclusions and lecturing accordingly. S/he never said s/he means to breed the pigs, nor did s/he say where the animals came from - so please wait to get answers to those questions before jumping all over him/her.

I understand that the content of the thread is somewhat offensive to those of us that know and love guinea pigs, but this person presumably came here to learn about guinea pigs, so let's give him/her the opportunity to do that and share the information we have without being condescending.

Froggirl009

Cavy Slave
They eat everything everybody else feeds them.
The boy's is good. The females is small, but it doesn't really matter because she gets held a lot.
I love them and DO like them and respect them. :sad:

Guinea pigs don't care about being held. Holding them is more for you then them. Also, You said She so does than mean you only have one? That might be your problem there. Get them a bigger cage and a friend and they might play. My guinea pigs chase each other around the cage and play with each other.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Folks, Bunnah lover hasn't been on this morning and hasn't had a chance to see this thread and reply to the questions. Let's wait and get some answers to the questions being asked before jumping to conclusions and lecturing accordingly.
To add to Paula's post, some people are making assumptions. STOP doing that please. All that is doing is making for an angry thread. Don't assume, ask questions instead. From what I have read in Bunnah's posts, the female lives separately from the males and there has been absolutely no mention of breeding. So don't start making assumptions that Bunnah is breeding.

This could just be a person who is going by some of the old care standards and hasn't realized that more space= happiness and well being for their pigs.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.