Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Bedding Is it ok to use a towel/blanket as a bedding for guniea pig cages?

xxmusicxx

Cavy Slave
Hi. I have a guinea pig and i am currently using pine shavings for her cage. I was wondering if you could use a towel/blanket for a guniea pigs cage. :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
Well just a regular blanket would not be suitable for bedding as it would stay wet. The most common bedding is fleece and towels. The links provided above are great and give information about using fleece and towels. The fleece allows the urine to flow through to be absorbed by an absorbant material.

fieryone

Cavy Slave
Ditto to the above. I use an old comforter over a shower curtain for their floor time area and it gets very wet in a hurry and stays wet. It gets washed every time they're put back in their cage. Fleece wicks the wetness through and stays dry while the towels, mattress pads, whatever under bedding you choose soaks up the urine and keeps the cage from getting stinky. You can get a piece of fleece cut for you at a fabric store for fairly cheap depending on what pattern you get.

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
I would not recommend it. Not only will the bedding always be wet or something, but it will begin to stink fairly quickly. Also, your guinea pigs may see that as a great way to chew on bedding. If there are strings on it, they could choke.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.