Thread: Senior Piggy Needs To Gain Weight. Help?

Thanks
    Thanks
    13 Rec'd/13 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Senior Piggy Needs To Gain Weight. Help?

Hello To All,

Wasn't sure whether to post this here or on the Medical board, so I opted for here since it is technically concerning diet. Well, I used to post here a lot, but haven't been posting since losing my Tutter last year. But I am needing some advice here, concerning my remaining pigger Bear. I got him in February of 2002, and he was thought to be approx. 10 weeks old when I got him. Which makes him now almost 7 1/2 years old. His quality of life is still great, he is eating and drinking fine, still loves his daily veggies, and still has a great set of wheeking pipes, especially when he hears rustling of sacks or smells a banana in another room. But despite all that he is eating, he is getting really skinny. I can even start feeling his spine. And he used to be my BIG-boned fat boy, too! But he feels so light now when I hold him, and I was concerned. But he has been given a clean bill of health from a good exotics vet, and apparently he's just getting old, and losing weight is just part of the aging process. Or at least that's what I was told. So my question is, is there any veggie, fruit, etc., or any other food/treat/vitamin, that I can feed him to maybe help him put a little weight back on? It would be nice to see him a little chunky piggy again. If there's anything I can do to help him plump back up a little bit, please don't hesitate to tell me, I don't care what the cost. OR, since he's still nice and healthy with a good quality of life, should I just let nature take it's course and stop worrying about his weight so much? What do you experts here do to help your senior piggers?

Oh, and since this question would probably get asked of me concerning this, here's a sample of Bear's usual diet: Unlimited supply of KM's pellets and Oxbow timothy hay, and a big daily salad (been giving him extra veggies lately), comprised of some combination of these usual veggies, some of which are rotated so as not to give him too much of a certain vitamin, such as parsley and kale. But here's the veggie list: Green leaf lettuce, kale, cilantro, parsley, baby carrots, red bell pepper, cucumber, tomato, and the occasional other fruit/veggie treats such as banana, blueberries, etc.

Thanks so much for any advice, I just want to make sure he lives out his senior days as well as possible!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    172 Rec'd/140 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Senior Piggy Needs To Gain Weight. Help?

You could try supplementing his diet with Critical Care from Oxbow. I's a dry formula that you mix up as you need it. You could use water or, as a post surgery assist, I have mixed it up with plain Ensure. If you use Ensure, you will probably need to give him some simethicone (1cc per feeding) to help with gas, as Ensure has sugars in it. I would double check with your vet before going that direction though. I think it's great that he has been with you so long. May it be even longer yet.

3. "Thank you, Toadies, for this useful post," says:

Thanks
    Thanks
    13 Rec'd/13 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hi Toadies, thank you so much for the great recommendation! I will be looking into that for sure.

Thank you for the good wishes that he will be with me even longer. I feel honored to have been owned by my sweet Bear for as long as I have, and I want to keep him as comfortable and spoiled as possible as we near the last part of his journey.

Thanks again, I'm going to look into the Critical Care right now.

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    144 Rec'd/83 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

I would PM Ly, she would know best!

Thanks
    Thanks
    13 Rec'd/13 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks Nichole, I think I will do that!

User Tag List