Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Weight Loss New Pig Losing Weight

PiggleMomma

Cavy Slave
Hello,

I got Kiki from a family that couldn't afford to take care of her anymore on 4/12. They said they had her for a year and a half. We are thinking she is about 2 years old. As far as we know she wasn't getting any hay, was eating poor quality pellets with a bunch of other stuff in them, and she was stuck in a small pet store cage.

When we got her you could feel her ribs quite easily, but other than that seemed completely healthy. After a day you couldn't feel them anymore and she's been acting like a very happy, healthy piggle. She has a lot of room to roam around and seems to really like her cage. The only problem is she has been losing weight.

I don't understand why, since she seems super healthy. Could it be because she is getting excercise and less fatty pellets? In her previous cage she could barely move anywhere. I just don't understand, because she seems to have filled out more!

Her weight:
4/13 | 2lbs. 12 oz.
4/21 | 2lbs. 9.0 oz.
4/23 | 2lbs. 8.8 oz.
4/25 | 2lbs. 7.5 oz.
4/27 | 2lbs. 7.5 oz.

I am going to call the vet today, but I would like some opinions on here, too.

Last edited:

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
I'd get her teeth examined. Is she pooping normally?

Have you seen her eating?

Usually when they lose weight like that, it is teeth or bladder stones. Esp if she wasn't cared for properly.

PiggleMomma

Cavy Slave
She is eating normally and her poops are normal, too. She isn't eating hay as much as my other piggles, but I think it's because she's not used to it. I'll mention her teeth to the vet, though. Thank you.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.