Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Reference Making a "sleeping bag" cozy. (part 1)

ferndalezoo

Cavy Slave
You will need:

2 rectangles of fabric (I use fleece and a print) decide how wide you want the opening to be, and double that measurement for the width of the rectangle. Decide how deep you want the bag to be. That (plus an inch or so) will be your length.

EITHER a strip of 1" foam OR a strip of boning, an inch shorter than the longer measurement of your rectangle.

DSCN1676.jpg

Sew the foam (or boning) to the wrong side of your print fabric, a few inches from the long side.

DSCN1677.jpg

Fold each rectangle, seperately, in half, right sides together, and sew down the side. I use a straight stitch, and then reinforce with a zig-zag.

DSCN1678.jpg

DSCN1679.jpg

Turn the print right side out, and put it inside the fleece tube. Align the seams, and sew around the end closest to the boning/foam strip.

DSCN1681.jpg

ferndalezoo

Cavy Slave
Turn the whole thing rightside out. Tuck the fleece layer inside the print layer, and sew around the edge closest to the boning from the outside, to reinforce.

DSCN1682.jpg

Sew along the bottom of the fleece layer, to close it.

DSCN1683.jpg

Fold the raw edges of the print layer inside, pin, and sew closed.

DSCN1684.jpg

Here's Greyson showing off the finished product!

DSCN1685.jpg

theresaj

Cavy Slave
What a great thread! I've always wanted to try making a cozy myself!

Skeetersmom

Cavy Slave
That's great! I have some of that foam from my husband making seats for our boat. Great idea!

hilary

Cavy Slave
Thanks for posting this!

Bambi5826

Cavy Slave
Looks like fun! Can't wait to try....

ferndalezoo

Cavy Slave
That's great! I have some of that foam from my husband making seats for our boat. Great idea!

Another thing you can do with the foam is to make the cuddle cups (I think it's a sticky at the top of this page) and use the foam instead of batting. Cut the foam an inch smaller all around than you do your fabric. It turns out nicely.

blessedbeingmom

Cavy Slave
Thanks for these great instructions! I just finished making one for our piggies. However, although I do have a sewing machine, I have had little practice, so I learned a lot from my mistakes today. (I also sewed bedding out of fleece and cut-up cotton rich mattress pads, another cozy and another bag that was supposed to be a cozy until mom sewed the wrong sides facing each other and was forced to get creative to salvage it for my child.)
The foam was kind of hard to sew through, and my machine didn't like it very much. Would you happen to have any tips for working with foam in the future? I still have a lot of it left, so I'm sure I'll have to find something to do with it.
Thanks again for all your great instructions!

ferndalezoo

Cavy Slave
When I make the cuddlecups and tunnels with the foam, I try not to sew through it at all. Rather, I cut the foam a bit smaller all around than the fabric, and just sew fabric to fabric. If you need to sew through it (like in this project), I put the foam on the bottom, the fabric on top, and flatten the foam with my hands nearest the pressure foot, so it sews more easily.

blessedbeingmom

Cavy Slave
When I make the cuddlecups and tunnels with the foam, I try not to sew through it at all. Rather, I cut the foam a bit smaller all around than the fabric, and just sew fabric to fabric. If you need to sew through it (like in this project), I put the foam on the bottom, the fabric on top, and flatten the foam with my hands nearest the pressure foot, so it sews more easily.

That is very helpful, thanks! I messed up the foam a good bit trying to do it first with the foam on top. After a while, I decided to try it upside down (foam down) and it did work better. I'm relatively new & inexperienced at sewing, so it can be a challenge at times. Speaking of sewing, I still have to finish sewing our second set of bedding (mattress pads and pads for the kitchen area and the hidey area). They are also thick and a bit of a challenge due to the thickness of the padding, but I'm managing okay. I'm learning a lot about threading and winding the bobbin and all that though, as I'm continually having to rethread because I messed up again, or maybe I forgot to put the pressor foot back down (easy to do when sewing something thick). I don't think I need to do any more sacks or cozies as we sadly only have one piggy now. Thanks again for your advice!

rjramer06

Cavy Slave
If I could sew, I would definitely make one of these. >.<

Heatherdu

Cavy Slave
Hi. Thank you for posting this. We are preparing to bring home a piggie for my son and I would love to make one of these. Can you provide the approximate size of the rectangles that you used to make the cozy?

GizzyandMe

Cavy Slave
O Wow another great idea to keep my mom busy with! Thank you!!!!

1frankie7

Cavy Slave
I didnt even need foam to make my cozy and to opening stays open i hope my piggy will like it!

ferndalezoo

Cavy Slave
This will work without the foam or boning, but I found that my pigs trample them, flattening the opening, more quickly that way.

MasterBlaster

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the patterns for this sleeping bag and also the cuddle tunnel. I will be making one of each as I've noticed one of my guys, Darwin seems fond of tunneling and power napping under the sheet I put down at floortime. I will photo the results (no matter how wonky) and share with you here :melodrama

Master Blaster

soupz

Cavy Slave
Yay! This is great! I will make one soon when I have time! Hehe :) can't wait, it's so cute! Thank you so much!

BrianL

Cavy Slave
Thank you very much for the detailed instructions. I could follow them and I am totally out of my league for this type of thing. Now to figure out what to buy wifey so she will be so happy that she will be willing to drag out the sewing machine.

tina&bella

Cavy Slave
OMG this is the cutest thing i've ever seen thank you so much !!!!!!(adorable piggy;) )

alicia09

Cavy Slave
Does the fleece need to be washed like it would be if it was going to be used as a bedding? Or does it not matter? I bought some fleece today to use to make a few of these but I don't know whether I can use it straight away or whether I should wash it.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.