Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Reference Making a cuddle tunnel

ferndalezoo

Cavy Slave
You need:

2 rectangles of fabric (I use fleece and a cute print), 14" wide, and as tall as you want the tunnel to be long.

EITHER foam (an inch or two smaller in all dimensions than the fabric) OR 2 11" strips of boning. I use foam in these pics.
DSCN1602.jpg

STEP 1: Fold both rectangles in half, individually, right sides together, and sew down the long side. I use a straight stitch, and then go back with a zig-zag stitch to reinforce.

DSCN1603.jpg

DSCN1604.jpg

Turn the print fabric tube right side out, and, and insert it into the fleece tube, so right sides are together. Align the seams, and sew around one opening. Again, I use the straight stitch and then do a zig-zag.
DSCN1605.jpg

Turn the whole thing right side out.
DSCN1606.jpg

pringles70

Cavy Slave
These look great but I am just not a sewing type person, which sucks. I need something like this. You should sell them!!

ferndalezoo

Cavy Slave
Tuck the fleece tube inside the print tube, and sew around the already-sewn opening, to prevent shifting.
DSCN1607.jpg

Carefully insert the foam between the layers.

DSCN1608.jpg

DSCN1609.jpg

Tuck the raw edges in, and pin.

DSCN1610.jpg

Sew around this edge, careful to keep all the raw edges folded in.

DSCN1611.jpg

I then sew around both edges a few inches in to catch the foam and prevent shifting. Presto!

If you're using the boning instead of the foam, I sew it to the wrong side of the print fabric before starting step 1.

fieryone

Cavy Slave
This is great and so is the cuddle sack post. Too bad I don't have a sewing machine. I guess I could hand sew it (??) although it wouldn't be very pretty.

seredman

Cavy Slave
Wow what a great idea!!! Thank you I am going to try this as soon as I get the materials!!
Just one question how do you care for it? Can the whole thing be washed in the washing machine or do you scrub it by hand?

ferndalezoo

Cavy Slave
I have tossed mine in the washer and dryer with the rest of the bedding. If you sew it well, it holds up really well to laundering. If you use the foam, be sure to NOT flatten it after you wash it (don't fold it with your towels!) . If you use boning, you can collapse it, and it will retain its shape when you set it up.

my<3goes2pigs

Cavy Slave
So cute! Do you think you could use cotton batting instead of foam? Would it be easier to use?

lalallama

Cavy Slave
Great idea! my<3goestopigs, I'm going to try making the tunnel with batting. I'll post pictures of how it turns out!

Domino & Bedhead

Cavy Slave
Very cute!

my<3goes2pigs

Cavy Slave
Thanks. Can't wait to see how it turns out. I'm hoping I can go and and buy some materials so I can make one too.

lalallama

Cavy Slave
Made one yesterday. Turned out great, but could not upload pics to computer. =(
If you're using batting, just be sure and make it the exact same size as your print and your fleece. If it turns out to be too big, just trim it.

my<3goes2pigs

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the tip! :)

MaggieMae

Cavy Slave
Okay so, just a heads up. Maybe I did something wrong, but I tried this twice. I measured everything twice, and in theory it all seemed like it would work well.

However I had to make mine 17" wide instead of 14".

I made everything and before I put the foam in, I noticed it looked kind of small. So I grabbed a piggy and enticed her into the tunnel. She ran in and suddenly she just started rolling. She was stuck!!

Maybe my piggies are just huge. But I would strongly recommend testing out the width before actually finishing the whole thing.

I never would have come close to making this without the instructions though. Thanks!!!!

Domino & Bedhead

Cavy Slave
I did exactly the same thing. Put him in and he rolled over, if he could have laughed I am sure he would have. I had to shake him out of it. So the next time I increased the size by 3 inches each way and it was just fine. I forgot the seams took up at least an inch or more. Duh I should have thought about that before. So I donated my creation (it did turn out really nice) to one of the shelters because they have baby piggies and they were greatful so it was all good. :)

GuineaLove

Cavy Slave
Thank you! I can not wait to try and make this. This is a really great idea.

sdpiggylvr

Cavy Slave
What size of this tunnel do you guys use and prefer?

MaggieMae

Cavy Slave
I'm really frustrated. I can't seem to think backwards on this so this is probably way more frustrating than it needs to be.. I spent 4 hours on one of these last night because I kept sewing the wrong sides the wrong ways and such. I don't normally have that problem but I think it is because of the form of it, it just doesn't automatically connect in my brain.

Anyway, so I saw one of these on esty and I can't figure out how they sewed both ends without a seam. I did kind of a french seam type thing on both ends of mine but I don't like how it looked. They have perfect ends....

Somehow there is a trick I am missing. Does anyone know what that is?

I don't get how I can buy a cuddle cup and a store and there is no rough seam to be seen. Or I can buy a stuffed toy without a seam showing. Are they just masters at covering it up or is there some trick I don't know about?

Grrrrrrr..... I just want them to look perfect. :(

My boyfriend says the piggies like them either way which is true (because Sunshine LOVES her lopsided, seam showing attempt of one) but I just want to figure it out!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.