Thread: Does anybody have any suggestions for toys in the cage? Any guinea pig projects?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts

Question Does anybody have any suggestions for toys in the cage? Any guinea pig projects?

I'm wondering about toys I can make for my guineas to play with.
    or even just some fun things for the guineas that I can make for them.
    Does anybody have any ideas or suggestions?
    Also, is there any safe household items my guineas can play with?
    like paper bags or paper towel rolls?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    61 Rec'd/35 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Does anybody have any suggestions for toys in the cage? Any guinea pig projects?

This thread has a ton of great info on toys, tunnels, etc.: http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/...tml#post422187

I have been reading and posting on that thread, so any info that I could tell you is on there.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts

Re: Does anybody have any suggestions for toys in the cage? Any guinea pig projects?

Quote Originally Posted by trump_cinnamon View Post
    This thread has a ton of great info on toys, tunnels, etc.: http://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/...tml#post422187

I have been reading and posting on that thread, so any info that I could tell you is on there.
    K. Thanks

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts

Question What are some non-toxic household items I could put in their cage for them 2 play w/?

Just wondering...
    Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: What are some non-toxic household items I could put in their cage for them 2 play

Most guinea pigs will love anything made of paper or cardboard. They can chew on them without you worrying about them getting sick. Cardboard boxes as hideys or tunnels, paper bags for hay or hiding and toliet paper tubes for hay or chewing are all commonly used.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    12 Rec'd/8 Posts

Re: What are some non-toxic household items I could put in their cage for them 2 play

I agree, my three boys love paper bags. Or you could fill a sock up with hay and tie it. One of my boys throws it about, another one lies on it like a pillow.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks

I know my guinea pigs were curious when I put a clean sock stuffed with alfalfa hay in thir cage. You can also take papertowel or toiletpaper rolls, with out anything on them, and make a hole and hang them from the top of the cage, or if you can't do that, you can just toss it in there, and let them chew it up.

8. "Thank you, Nickie11, for this useful post," say these 2 members:

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator Ly&Pigs's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5,447 Rec'd/1,918 Posts

See Guinea Pig Toys and Play for toy ideas.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

You might want to make sure the roll is wide enough. I gave a toilet paper roll to one of ours (Miss Iggy Piggy) and she stuck her head in it, it got stuck and she panicked. I thought it was a fluke but it happened again a couple days later. So now I just use huge rolls from things like moving tape. Just my experience!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5 Rec'd/3 Posts
    Blog Entries

My guineas tried to walk through the packing tape roll I gave them. They didn't get their back legs through so it would get stuck on their bodies and of course they freaked out. Bottom line, see how your piggies react to new items before leaving them alone with it.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    25 Rec'd/22 Posts
    Blog Entries

I like the sock idea but I'd be afraid to have my Guinea Pigs eat part of the sock.

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator Ly&Pigs's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    5,447 Rec'd/1,918 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lenethren View Post
    I gave a toilet paper roll to one of ours (Miss Iggy Piggy) and she stuck her head in it, it got stuck and she panicked.
    This is why you have to make a full slit in the toilet paper roll lengthwise.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    0 Rec'd/0 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Lenethren View Post
    You might want to make sure the roll is wide enough. I gave a toilet paper roll to one of ours (Miss Iggy Piggy) and she stuck her head in it, it got stuck and she panicked. I thought it was a fluke but it happened again a couple days later. So now I just use huge rolls from things like moving tape. Just my experience!
    OH my gosh my guinea pig did the same thing haha it was actually kinda funny. She was running laps and happened to run straight into the opening

Oh and I gave my guinea pigs sock filled it with toilet paper but they had no idea what to do with it. What should I do? stick some hay into it?

User Tag List