Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Expensive!

coolcavies

Cavy Slave
Is it just me, or are these C&C cages pretty expensive?

(broken link removed)*

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
I couldn't see anything.

coolcavies

Cavy Slave
Oh, you have to add an asterisk * on the end, for some reason it didn't include it in the link.

citronsoul

Cavy Slave
Hey Coolcavies :)

I don't know about those cages being expensive...they're pretty big.
It's still cheaper to do it yourself anyway.

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
they are very expensive, try doin it your self its very easy.

Oliver27

Cavy Slave
There not as expensive as the commercial cages ( and they are a hole lot smaller to!) so, yes a C&C cage may be a bit expensive but its alot bigger and cheaper then the other cages you can buy at a pet store. I built a 2x6 and it cost me about $50-$60. Then i went to a pet store and saw a cage for $150!! and it was very small( compared to mine anyways :)

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
That person is just trying to make money off of something you can easily make yourself. Usually a pack of grids costs anywhere from $10-25 and the coroplast sheets cost anywhere from about $9-20 per sheet.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
I agree, they're a bit expensive. Try making them yourself! :) Mine costed me about $120, and it has a storage level (2x6), lower level (2x5) with a storage shelf (2x1) next to the lower level, and two lofts (2x3 and 2x1).

medic1975

Cavy Slave
"That person is just trying to make money off of something you can easily make yourself. Usually a pack of grids costs anywhere from $10-25 and the coroplast sheets cost anywhere from about $9-20 per sheet."

Anyone who sells things is trying to make money.

I know a guy who has a lawn service, he makes money.

You could easily mow your own grass.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Well this guy is ripping people off with his exorbitant prices. Nothing wrong with making money but when you way overcharge, it's a different story. I could make and sell cages myself but I wouldn't charge near what this guy does. I do mow my own grass. It saves me money, lol.

Baby Bears

Cavy Slave
Oh no! His prices are insane. I've got a sheet of coroplast on order for $23.00 and the cubes I found at Wal-Mart are $16 per box (24 panels in each box). So my cage only cost $50.00 for materials! I MIGHT put a lid on it, but even the wire racks used for that don't cost that much! They aren't hard to make - look how many people here have made them - you can do it!!!

spoonyspork

Cavy Slave
Yeah... here's a breakdown for the cost of my cage:

3' x 5' coroplast sheet: $12

2 boxes (24 panels each) of wire grids: $20

Bag of 100 zip ties: $2

Scrap carpet for upper levels and ramps: Free

Total cost for three-level cage (2x3 grids with 2x3 upper level and 2x2 loft): $34

Cost for what amounts to 1 x 1.5 grid cage I first got from pet store: $40

Try it yourself. It's really easy! I have a hard time closing a cardboard box, and even I had the whole thing built the way I wanted in about 3 hours total work.

*edit* I took a second look at the ebay person's cage... they've done some REALLY nice costomizations to those cages. It looks like you're paying for that. It's worth it if you can't do the same as this person.. though you still end up assembling it yourself.

Last edited:

pennick

Cavy Slave
The cost of my pet store cage was $150.00.

The cost of my c&c cage thru this site was $88.00.

Extra grids & connectors for 2nd level 25.00

carpet and fabric to cover 2nd level 20.00

Total $133.00

I always take the easy way out. Wasn't convenient for me to find coroplast. Anyway when it comes to convenience or saving money I usually go for the convenience.

Plummie

Cavy Slave
ChattyCoCo said:
Well this guy is ripping people off with his exorbitant prices. Nothing wrong with making money but when you way overcharge, it's a different story. I could make and sell cages myself but I wouldn't charge near what this guy does. I do mow my own grass. It saves me money, lol.
I completely agree with you, I've seen these cages before on Ebay and have always believed they are a total rip-off - not only in price but also a rip-off on somebody else's idea.

However the biggest issue is that he or she advertises them as safe chinchilla habitats. Chinchillas CANNOT be housed in CC cages because of the 1.5" spacing, it is just big enough for them to squeeze their heads in but small enough for them to NOT be able squeeze back out. Chins have often snapped their necks in creative cubes or if they're lucky, and their owner is present they might be able to free them by snipping the grid. Either way, it's a terrible marketing ploy!!

A couple months ago, I did take a proactive role in contacting this person regarding this problem (politely asking them to remove "chinchilla-safe" from their ad) but they did not reply. These cages are safe for rabbits and pigs, but just not chins! Sadly, the consumers who are ignorant enough to fall for this marketing ploy may have their poor chinnies end up paying the price.

Here is a thread from a chinchilla forum describing this problem in detail: (broken link removed)

Last edited:

CCcages

Cavy Slave
Eeeek! thanks for letting me know that. I'm not the guy on ebay that sells those ginormous 3-story cages, but I do stick my cages on ebay from time to time to draw people here. I do have rabbit, ferret, and chin listed - but will remove the chin immediately. Thanks, Plummie.

Plummie

Cavy Slave
You're welcome! :)

aqh88

Cavy Slave
While asking around for coroplast some places quoted me around $50. When I told him there are others selling it for $17 a sheet they said they can't even get it from the manufacturer that cheap. If I had to pay $50 for an 8x4 sheet I'd definitely charge alot more than if I got it for $17. I'm not sure why some places carry more expensive coroplast than others...

Plummie

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure either, but it seems like the chain stores (i.e. Instant Signs or FastSigns) will sell it cheaper than most locally owned places. $50 for a sheet of coroplast is just wrong!!!

ChadWPB

Cavy Slave
Considering the size of the cages, I really don't think the eBay seller's price are that bad. Also to be considered is the time it takes to cut the Coroplast, so there's a labour cost that no one seems to have factored in.

They also look like topped cages, requiring more grids, connectors and cable ties than a standard open cage.

For approx. $130 I made two 3x4 cages and and two 2x5's. That's space to house ten pigs quite comfortably (exceeding Cavy Spirit's already comfy minimums).

John4216

Cavy Slave
The coroplast I can buy and that my first cage was made from cost me $10 a sheet and cost the sign shop that got it even less. It made a 2X5 and then all I needed to do was buy the grids and it was done.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.