Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Expensive!

muffin_401

Cavy Slave
Those cages on ebay are really quite nice and I have considered buying one... but after you factor in shipping someing that big to canada... it would have cost almost 400 bucks! I definately would be doing the do-it-yourself way... cubes at walmart here are only $16 for 24 grids...

Guinea_Gal

Cavy Slave
they are just trying to make a large profit!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LuvMyPiggers

Cavy Gazer
I agree. $400 bucks is waaaaaaaaaaaay too much. I actually had fun building my cage and it ended up really well. + on ebay they can't always add things like baby proofing and cat/dog proofing.

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
I agree, just find some place that sells grids and coro in your area. Even if it's an hour or two away, the gas prices can't exceed $400!

Peaches

Cavy Slave
There are a bunch of sign shops around here. Hopefully I can get some Coroplast cheap from one of them.

Poodles

Cavy Slave
Don't know if I can put a link on here, and forgive me if I am not supposed to, but freecycle.org helped me with my cage. I put a wanted ad on there for storage cubes/grids and was given 12 panels by a lady that did not need them for her scrapbooking supplies anymore. She did not give the connectors, but I had zip-ties. Was offered some coroplast, but it was not large enough, so I purchased the $17.00 sheet of coroplast from a local sign shop and built my cage. One hour and $17.00 and I have a totally functional cage (not saying all my lines are straight, but it works).

freecycle.org really helps keep things out of landfills, and they have a ton of different chapters. It never hurts to ask, and offer the things you would normally trash. From cardboard to salt shakers, someone somewhere can use it... so why throw it away.

Maybe this will help you to keep your costs down too.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
While this is an old thread I see the person is still selling the C&C cages.

Yes, they can be made cheaper if you do it yourself but as I see it it is great that someone ran with the idea of selling the cages on Ebay. Imagine, after all of the horrible cage links we have seen finally someone selling cages with a good amount of space. If someone is willing to pay his price their animal is all the luckier for it.

Freecycle.org is a great idea Poodles! I never though of that! Good for you for being so resourceful.

RubyPiggie2

Cavy Slave
I only spent around $26 for my 4x6 cage! And since I'm making a new cage, it's going to cost only $16 - 2 sheets of coroplast for $8 each, then I've got the cable ties and already have the grids. They are selling it for outrageous prices, but at least they're c&c cages. I don't think they put that in there? (That they were cubes and coroplast cages)

Emily F.

Cavy Slave
Wow Ruby- that's very cheap. Where did you get your supplies from?

Faunn
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
Faunn
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

guineagurl

Cavy Slave
With exception to the high postage fee's I don't think paying extra to have it all delivered to your door is such a bad idea especially if you really don't have alot of time to hunt down all the supplies you need, saving you travel time etc.

selms

Cavy Slave
The first place that I called looking for coroplast asked me if I was one of those guinea pig people LOL! He said they love the guinea pig people and wanted to charge me $35 for 5'x8' sheet. The second place I called had no clue when I said I wanted to make a cage...but they only charged me $20 and they cut it to size for me too!

Needless to say I went with the second place....

luv*my*pigs

Cavy Slave
I bought two packages of cubes for $20 each and a sheet of coroplast for $16. All prices CAD - adding on our 15% sales tax brought my total to just under $65 CAD. The largest commercial cage I could find was maybe 2/5th the size of my 2x4 c&c and was selling for $89.99 + tax.

I'd say the cages in your link aren't out of line if you consider the individual is making them to sell them at a profit.

If you're looking at getting a C&C, making your own would be the less costly was to go.

lindsey's boys

Cavy Slave
My cage only cost $20!

cubes- $20
litterpan-free

veganmunkee

Cavy Slave
mine cost about... $120.... plus i had extra coroplast left over for a hidey house... and still some lying around :) i made a 4 level ferret cage that is... set in a corner with 48 grids used for just the floors and under cage storage...that was about...$160...it's HUGE and houses 13 ferrets! :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.