Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General flying with guinea pigs

peanut&bingo

Cavy Slave
We are moving to Alaska from Texas, so our pigs will need to have their first flight! They can not fly with me carry on, so we are paying $125 per pig to fly with the other pets. My question- Has anyone flown their pig before? Any issues I should be aware of? Thanks for any help!

lmarieaa

Cavy Slave
I have always been curious about this too, as I may someday be in same situation.
I would not feel too comfortable with my piggies in the luggage compartment with all the other pets...I assume that this airline has the pets kept in the luggage area?...Just because I have heard many bad experiences from other people on how the carriers with animals inside are thrown and tossed around as any other piece of luggage would be.
But I really do not have any personal experience to speak of.

trump_cinnamon

Cavy Slave
The one time I traveled with my piggies on a plane, I was allowed to bring them on carry-on. So, I'm not sure.

sealion

Cavy Slave
I have the same concerns as you. This summer the piggies are going to travel a lot. They are going to fly from here (US) to Paris, take the train to go the my grandparents where they will stay during the summer, then they are going to take the train (or car) for 4 hours to go back to Paris to then fly to Tunisia where we are mooving...
I am taking them with me in the plane, I would never put my piggies in the luggage compartment. Luckly small animals are alowed on carry-on on the plane I'm taking. Are you sure they don't allow piggies to travel with you ?
They should have a comfortable pet carrier (not the ones for guinea pigs sold at most pet store, they are usually too small...) but a small cat carrier would work, and don't forget to put plenty of fleece in there because it does get cold on a plane.
I heard that giving them plenty of cucumbers is good for them since they would get plenty of water from it...
Hope is helps !

fieryone

Cavy Slave
Are you sure they won't allow you to carry them on? If you haven't booked your flight yet, here is a link to airline pet policies. I didn't click on them all, but the ones that I did click on DO allow pets in a small carrier as carry on luggage.

(broken link removed)

hydrohoki

Cavy Slave
I have the same concerns as you. This summer the piggies are going to travel a lot. They are going to fly from here (US) to Paris, take the train to go the my grandparents where they will stay during the summer, then they are going to take the train (or car) for 4 hours to go back to Paris to then fly to Tunisia where we are mooving...
I am taking them with me in the plane, I would never put my piggies in the luggage compartment. Luckly small animals are alowed on carry-on on the plane I'm taking. Are you sure they don't allow piggies to travel with you ?
They should have a comfortable pet carrier (not the ones for guinea pigs sold at most pet store, they are usually too small...) but a small cat carrier would work, and don't forget to put plenty of fleece in there because it does get cold on a plane.
I heard that giving them plenty of cucumbers is good for them since they would get plenty of water from it...
Hope is helps !

Are you sure they won't have to be quarantined when you go through customs?

lissie

Cavy Slave
Fieryone, Thanks for the link. I don't have any plans to travel with my pigs, but it sure would come in handy if I ever get laid off and have to move back to Asia.

fieryone

Cavy Slave
You're welcome. We don't have any plans to fly with the pigs either, but if we ever had to for some reason I'm glad there's a pretty easy way to find out the policies of each airline. I know that it can't be avoided with larger dogs and such, but I don't like the idea of any pets traveling in the cargo area. It must be terribly frightening for them.

Ilovemypiggies1

Cavy Slave
I agree Fieryone, i don't travel that much so thankfully i don't have to worry about bringing my pigs on an airplane, maybe a car though. It probably is very frightening to these little sweethearts in the cargo area because there would be other animals too like big dogs barking etc. and they are probably thrown around just like luggage too like some of you said.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.