Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

New baby owners

schartner

Cavy Slave
I have baby guinea pigs I got yesterday (3-28-09). They were born on 3-9-09. They don't seem to be adjusting well to there new home. I don't think they are eating the hay or pellets. I did but a little lettuce in and they ate that. Due I need to be concerned. Some help and idea would be great. Thanks

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
They seem a bit young to go home. They're only 18 days old. They should be at least 21 days old...am I correct? A reputable shelter shouldn't be giving them to a home for a few more days!

I would give them some time to settle in. It often takes a bit of time. Since they are young it might take them a bit to try veggies. Slowly introduce lettuce(any kinds except iceburg), bell peppers, and cilantro since those are in my opinion, a guinea pigs staple foods. Once they begin to eat them, I would slowly introduce other fruits.

Feed a high quality alfalfa based pellets like Cavy Performance from Oxbow. You should be offering fresh grass hay 24/7. My cavies love Timothy and Orchard grass.

Be sure to read all the stickies here.

hilary

Cavy Slave
Make sure you have sexed them (if you know what you're doing) or have taken them to a cavy savvy vet once they are three weeks old, this is when any boys are sexually mature. You don't want to end up with an accidental litter. It sounds like the place you got them from doesn't exactly know what they're doing, so I wouldn't be surprised if they gave you a mix of girls/boys.

schartner

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the help. They seem to like the lettuce I gave them.

iAl3X

Cavy Slave
Make sure your giving them the right type of lettuce, I'm pretty sure they can't eat iceberg, but don't quote me on that.

Also when I first got my pigs, they took quite a while to adjust, and they may be eating drinking while your away.

Give them about 24 hours to adjust, don't play with them or handle them. Just leave them in their cage. Be sure to watch them though.

Froggirl009

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs should not eat iceburg lettuce.

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
You are right, iAl3X. They should not be given Iceburg because it is high in nitrites and water and little to no nutritional value.
I don't even know why humans eat it, to me it tastes disgusting.

schartner

Cavy Slave
I took the lettuce out. They only ate a little bit of it. I have orchard hay and pellets in the cage but I don't think they have ate any of it. Not sure but I think they have drank a little water. They just act really scared. They stay together. They came from the same parents. I bought them through a private owner and not a pet store. I have them in the quietest room possible for my house and that is my two daughter room. I have two fleece pouches for them to hide in but they are usually both in one. Anymore information or idea would be wonderful and thanks for all the information so far.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
They are young and don't know what to do and have no guidance from an older or adult pig. You have to ensure they are drinking, eating pellets and eating hay. Start adding veggies in small amounts. Give them some romaine/red or green leaf lettuce and bell pepper in small amounts and leave it in the cage for a while.

I would also get some type of hiding house/pigloo for them. What type of cage do you have?

schartner

Cavy Slave
I have them in a large laudry basket because my sides haven't came in from wal-mart yet. they should be here this week and then I'll build their cage. It will be two panels wide by four or five long on each side. I already have the corplast. The people I got them from called and said that they where ready. Thanks

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Make sure to babyproof your C&C when you build it or make the coroplast sides pretty high like 10". You can cut out small inserts for the water bottle spouts.

I can't believe these people let these pigs go so young. They aren't ready to be on their own yet. I wonder maybe if they were just in a hurry to get rid of them.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.