Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

How far along?

kungfufembot

Cavy Slave
I got my first pig from a pet store in November. I was told it was a boy. I really wanted to take good care of him, so I started researching online, and I found out that they are herd animals and enjoy company. So I set out to buy a new one. I bought my second boy on December 29, 2008.

After I bought both of them (from the same place), I stumbled upon this site. I admit before I got here I was oblivious about the evils of pet stores, and I feel guilty even though I had no idea.

I built them a 2x4 two story cage. A couple weeks ago, I noticed one of my pigs was getting very large very fast. It never even occurred to me to re-check the sexes. Nevertheless, I have a very pregnant pig on my hands.

The employee at the pet store told me that they do not buy them from random people and that all of their pigs come from the same breeder. So now, not only am I worried for my pig for being pregnant, there is a possibility he is her brother!

It has been 86 days since I had them in the same cage. I know that the max gestation period is around 72 days, so she can't be that far off. I joke that my pigs must have wanted to be sure they were in love before mating! :)

I try not to handle her, but even from the outside of the cage I can see her belly jump. I've even seen a whole foot press against her side. She is very large but still very active. I've even seen her popcorn a time or two into her cuddle cup. She still wheeks loudly when I bring her treats.

Anyways, my question is... when will she pop?! I can't stand the suspense any longer!!

most recent picture is (broken link removed)

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Are they together on purpose? You need to separate them as soon as possible, like stop reading this post now and go do it as soon as possible. Because as soon as she gives birth, she can get pregnant again.

Also you shouldn't hold possibly pregnant/pregnant pigs the way you are holding her in the photo.

kungfufembot

Cavy Slave
I already built a second cage and have them separated. Believe me, I've done so much research, I don't think any more guinea pig info will fit in my head!

I only held her that way long enough to take a photo. In general, I don't hold her at all because I don't want to disturb her when she has a belly full of babies.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Ok good thing they are separated. From your original post, it sounded like they were still together.

Deenanicole08

Cavy Slave
Chances are she'll have them when no one is around. Guinea pigs are prey animals and you or anyone else being around might stress her out and make her nervous (unless of course she's pretty laid back and trusts you completely). You'll probably come home one day to a momma and a bunch of babies in the cage running around.

kungfufembot

Cavy Slave
i took her out of her cage to do a little pooper scoopin', and took a few pictures while i was at it.

(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)

how far along do you think? pictures don't do her wideness justice! i'm also curious about how many are in there. i'd like to keep them, so i hope 3ish.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Slave
I don't know how far along she is nor how many she will have. I can only wish you luck and hope you have a cavy savvy vet lined up in case of any problems like toxemia or birthing problems.

Deenanicole08

Cavy Slave
It's really like impossible to tell how far along one is. If you can possibly get near her belly and can hear them grinding their teeth, it shouldnt be too long. By her size, if she's anything like mine when she had pups, I would say she'll probably have them within a week or so, maybe less. But again, it's way to hard to tell.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.