Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Reference Do not EVER use these on cavies

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Just a reminder to all members that leashes and harnesses should never be used on guinea pigs. They are not made for this specific type of animal. Cavies can easily slip out of a leash. Pulling on a harness can injure their delicate spines.

meghannmariexx

Cavy Slave
On, the package of the harness or the collar and leash, it states that it can be used by Guinea Pigs or Rabbits.

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
Just because packaging says something does not make it correct. Leashes and harnesses can do serious damage.

meghannmariexx

Cavy Slave
Oh okay thanks for letting me know. :)

fieryone

Cavy Slave
They also market the exercise balls and wheels for guinea pigs but they can potentially severely injure your piggy since their backs don't bend the same way as a hamster's does.

Wheek Weak

Cavy Slave
On, the package of the harness or the collar and leash, it states that it can be used by Guinea Pigs or Rabbits.
We never, ever buy anything from pet stores. Most of the items they sell, that state it's for guinea pigs, are actually NOT safe or healthy for cavies.

Pet stores don't care about the health or safety of animals. They care about selling products to make money...period.

Please don't mistake my tone as angry (I'm not). I'm just trying to warn anyone who may naively believe what the pet stores tell them when it's not true and could, in fact, be very dangerous for their little one(s).

I, also, used to believe that whatever a pet store sold was what my pet needed and that it was not only safe, but necessary for their happiness and well-being. Unfortunately, after a lot of wasted money, time, and heartache...I learned the hard way.

Our rescues are so happy, well-fed, and healthy because of what we've learned from this site. All without ever stepping foot into a pet store for anything!

We get our hay from KM's, our pellets from our local farm store, cage grids from Target, fleece from fabric stores, toys are homemade or from this page: Guinea Pig Toys and Play, ivermectin from the farm supply, Critical Care from online, food bowls from tag sales (we just use small people bowls), water bottles from farm supply or online, etc., etc., etc...., nothing is ever needed from a pet store.

Pet stores are probably seen as a convenience. We're so used to getting our piggy supplies from local sources that now it would be an inconvience to go to a pet store! lol

theresaj

Cavy Slave
I'm glad I saw this post. I wanted to get Frankie a leash or some type of thing where I can let him walk around on the grass and graze if he wants to but I thought he would be difficult to catch cause they're fast little creatures on their feet and I wouldn't want to possibly hurt him while trying to catch him. In this case what are viable alternatives to a leash? Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

meghannmariexx

Cavy Slave
Yeah, what are some safe alternatives so that I can let my Piggie out on the grass without him running away?

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Get a predator proof exercise pen. You still want to supervise though.

Wheek Weak

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)

wigglesgiggles1

Cavy Slave
Yeah you cant go by the box. Just because treats are made for guinea pigs doesn't mean that they are good for them. Just in case anybody didnt know they are not good for guiinea pigs period.

Jasper_Hale

Cavy Slave
Wow, thank you for the information. For some reason I thought you could put them on a leash....

I do buy some things at the pet store. Like pellets. I make sure they're not bad for the piggy's. We don't want any dying piggys!

Reason&Rage

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the post! Safe Piggies are Happy Piggies :) .... its funny that i never really thought it may be bad for mine, but glad i saw this! We are growing an indoor garden for ours, but love letting them have fresh air and grass.

pigsmakemesmile

Cavy Slave
You can construct an outdoor pen with the grids. I attached the grids to each other using zipties so I can easily fold it up. This is better because they are unrestricted in movement. I would never trust using a harness on my pigs. I'd be afraid they'd choke on it.

theresaj

Cavy Slave
It's good to have safe ways we can let our furbies enjoy the fresh grass and the sun when it's a nice day for it. :)

NewGuinea2009

Cavy Slave
Just a reminder to all members that leashes and harnesses should never be used on guinea pigs. They are not made for this specific type of animal. Cavies can easily slip out of a leash. Pulling on a harness can injure their delicate spines.

Wow, I am so happy I just came across this post. I too, thought that harnesses were ok for them, I did know about the exercise ball, even if I didn't it just looked very uncomfortable. But thank you =-):)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.