Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Behavior A neutered male with a female

fieryone

Cavy Slave
This may seem like an odd question, but when you put a neutered male in with females, do they still "go through the motions" since neutering does little to change their behavior?

I was looking on craigslist for breeder ads to flag and there are suddenly a lot of pigs on there to be rehomed (legitimately) and most are supposedly male. So it got me thinking about getting my girls a boyfriend and having him neutered if I have my way and my husband doesn't protest too much. But will I have questions from my 9 year old like, "Mom! What are they doing?" lol Not that it'll sway me one way or the other. I'm just curious

starshine123102

Cavy Slave
I think they do "go through the motions" still. But if they don't like it I'msure they will let him know and he may eventually stop trying.

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
Yes, they will still "go through the motions." The only thing that will change is that they can't get females pregnant.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
The boys absolutely are still interested in the girls, and will still have intercourse with them when the girls are in heat.

That said, when you first introduce them the boy will be all over the girls - flirting, sniffing, humping, trying anything to make them love him but once they get used to the ladies and the girls get used to him it will pretty much be business as usual with only the occasional (observed, anyway) humpfest.

The girls will make sure he knows when to stop by spraying urine in his face or kicking him in the face. How long he keeps trying if she's not intersted depends on how persistent the male is, but it DOES go back to normal at some point.

I have three neutered males, each of which lives with a harem of ladies. I also have to unaltered boars that each lives with a spayed sow and the behavior of the neutered males was no different than the unaltered males as far as attempts to get attention and lovin' from the girls. It's very entertaining, actually. :love:

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I also have to unaltered boars ...
Correction - "I have two unaltered boars ... "

I've been doing that a lot lately, I get in a hurry and then don't go back and check it before the 10 minute time limit to edit expires. :eek:

fieryone

Cavy Slave
LOL, Paula! Thank you for your entertaining reply. I figured a male would be beside himself with, um, joy to be with 3 lovely ladies, if I do say so myself. If I do end up getting them a boyfriend I guess I will prepare myself ahead of time for the eventual possible question from my (pretty innocent for his age) son.

Siobhann

Cavy Slave
I think it also depends on the boy and the girl(s) they’re matched with. When I took my girls to an adoption “meet”, I was trying to match them up with a boy. There were a couple of pretty aggressive boys which they didn’t like it at all. Then we put another boy, who I ended up adopting, in the cage who was extremely mellow. He hasn’t mounted, to my knowledge, either of my girls. He just likes to lay down next to them :)

fieryone

Cavy Slave

melissa1128

Cavy Slave
Well that answers my question. I just adopted a mama and her baby son (well he is not really a baby anymore he is almost 5 months old) and I was thinking of getting him neutered so they can be together but the idea of a mama and her baby.. well teaming up... is too much for me.. That kinda sucks.. but I am glad I read this now.

Thanks guys you are always a great wealth of information!!!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.