Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Teeth Does it mean anything if your pig is always losing teeth?

MissFormosa

Cavy Slave
I read the article on broken teeth, but what about when they are constantly missing?

When I got Alton and took him to the vet, she found out that he had a loose bottom tooth and the other bottom tooth had grown too long. So she clipped the long one and the loose one fell out. He had some sort of infection in his gums and we had to clean it with saline until it looked less red. The teeth grew back of course and everything has been fine for a few weeks.

Now, his bottom teeth seem fine, but he keeps losing his front teeth. He breaks them clean off at the gumline. I don't know what he does, but I have a hunch. My hunch is that he chews on something to break them off, but I haven't figured it out yet. Nothing has any sort of damage! I thought, maybe he chews on his water bottle spout, but I've never heard him do it and I'm sure I would. I thought, maybe he chews the cage grids, but he would have to stretch to do that and maybe he does. He does frequently stand on his hind legs to look out at the world. Again, no damage and no noises. Unless he waits to let loose on his bad habits until everyone goes to work, I'm not sure what's going on. The other day I looked around the table where their cage is, looked on the floor, checked every inch of the cage and I could not find any teeth. I should probably add that he eats fine without them right now and that the gums don't look red and he has no apparent bad breath. This is the third time that I have discovered a tooth was broken when I saw him yawn tonight.

Could it be a disease or dental problem of some sort if he isn't chewing his front teeth clean off? Could it be due to the neglect he had for the first few months or year of his life?

I feed him a variety of foods rich in vitamin C, limit the ones with the acid in them and always ensure he eats a good brand of pellets and that they haven't expired. He also has an unlimited supply of hay available at all times and he does eat it.

Anyone heard of or have pigs that lose their teeth regularly?

Thanks a bunch!

Deenanicole08

Cavy Slave
Do you happen to know if he is a Satin Guinea pig?

MissFormosa

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure. He is silky soft, but being a newbie cavy slave, I have nothing to compare it too. Our other pig is an Abyssinian and his hair is also super soft. Alton does have some shimmer to his coat.

MissFormosa

Cavy Slave
Here are some photos of the teeth. Sorry for the quality - I had to ask my 10 year old to take the picture, my hands were full!

krittercrazy

Cavy Slave
It looks like he is a solid white guinea pig? If so he may be a "lethal". My Cuddle Monster has the same problem. His top teeth break off regularly. He is a lethal and is partially if not completely blind as well as deaf. A lot of times they have other health issues too. I was taking him in regularly to have his teeth trimmed but found out that they would break off a week later anyway. My vet said so long as he was breaking them off and he was eating fine to let him be. I keep a check on his mouth and his weight regularly to head of any problems right away.
This is one link to information on lethals and if you do search you can find more discussions on them.
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/kitchen/4190-lethal-guinea-pigs.html
Here is link to my thread on Cuddle Monster if you are interested.
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/about-guinea-pigs/26312-cuddle-monsters-teeth.html

Last edited:

MissFormosa

Cavy Slave
Oh wow! That is interesting. He is all white with pink/red eyes. I don't think he is all the way deaf or blind because it seems he talks to the other pig and he definitely wheeks when he sees me coming with his food bowl.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
If I remember right, lethals have no eye pigment if you shine a flashlight into their eyes. Not all pigs who are pure white are lethals. You may just have a PEW (pink eyed white) with teeth problems.

The reason Deena asked if you have a satin pig is because many satins have bone issues due a disease called osteodystrophy. Satin is a gene that causes the hair shafts to be hollow and it gives the coat a very shiny appearance.

MissFormosa

Cavy Slave
Here's a picture of Alton. He certainly seems like a healthy pig (except for the teeth). He eats like a pig (no pun intended) and actually is on the porky side - 2lb. 9 oz. His eyes don't reflect white when flashed with light and his eyes seem to be of a normal size. Are ALL white pigs with red/pink eyes lethal?

The more I am reading about this now, the more I feel concerned.

MissFormosa

Cavy Slave
Alton does have quite a PEW coming from his behind! I'm glad I've just learned how to clean it.

Here's another few pics, maybe his fur type is a little clearer in these pics. I'm not sure if he would be a Satin.

(The green stuff is veggie juice that came out of the dill weed I gave him as a treat)

(His fur seems to me to be a little bit of a super super light tan or like a dingy white...I always figured he was just dirty)

(As you can see, under his flash, his eyes are still pretty red)

MissFormosa

Cavy Slave
Thinking about it, he does click his teeth when he seems bored. Can he break them that way?

Also, I'm not sure what is considered "long enough to be clipped" teeth yet. Do his bottom teeth look long enough that they could have broke them? I know the teeth pics are not the very clearest quality.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Are ALL white pigs with red/pink eyes lethal?
No. You may want to re-read my earlier post because I had already stated that. You probably just missed it.

Salana, one of the mods used to have Einstein who was a lethal and when she took photos of him, his eyes would show up white on the photos. Your Alton looks like your average PEW. He may just have some type of issue that is causing the teeth to fall out. If he's eating well and it doesn't seem to bother him then I wouldn't worry too much but if it keeps happening you may want to consult your vet again and have x-rays done to see if it's a bone issue.

MissFormosa

Cavy Slave
Phew. I'll keep an eye on him for sure!

Yes, I think we were probably posting at the same time and I didn't see your post until after I posted mine.

redd1800

Cavy Slave
sorry to hear about the teeth problems

He is beautiful in those pictures :D

Deenanicole08

Cavy Slave
I haven't been online all day so good thing Ly had me covered and can read my mind! lol But I completely agree with her advice. Also if you google search a Satin Guinea pig, a bunch of sites will come up with the specific details about them so maybe you could tell if you have one. I hope all is well though!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.