Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

General I know this sounds funny, but do guinea pigs see color?

Linda122005
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

claire

Cavy Slave
I think I read that they do see in colour.

I bought 2 little plastic cat balls with bells in them for my pigs today. Stephen kept nosing one to make it ring, then popcorning round the cage, up to top deck, back to ball and repeat. So maybe try a jingly ball? Alan isn't interested though so it clearly varies as to whether pigs find them fun.

edit: I found where I'd read they see in colour https://www.guinealynx.info/eyes.html

Linda122005

Guinea Goddess

Cavy Slave
My pigs are easily amused with games of follow me and tag which they do not need anything but a pig buddy to play it with! They also like paper lunch bags stuffed with veggies or hay and toilet and paper towel rolls.

Two types of cones are found in the guinea pig retina, one for seeing and comprehending the color red and another for green. All other colors are still being studied to determine whether guinea pigs can see them or not.

Linda122005

claire

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I stuff toilet roll tubes with hay for them when I go to bed. Like really pack it in. They have to work hard to get strands of the hay out and it usually involves tossing the tubes around the place. It's caused popcorning occasionally so it must be fun.

redd1800

Cavy Slave
Cardboard boxes, paper bags, scrumpled up paper are all very popular with my cavies.

Trace_n_Ripley

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I stuff toilet roll tubes with hay for them when I go to bed. Like really pack it in. They have to work hard to get strands of the hay out and it usually involves tossing the tubes around the place. It's caused popcorning occasionally so it must be fun.

That is a great idea -- I'll definitely have to try it! -- Thanks

ptbruiser

Cavy Slave
I never thought to ask if guinea pigs see in color because I know that they don't see well. So you learn something new every day.

I do know that my Gizmo seems to like the bright yellow and pink cat balls with bells in them the best. He will pick them up and shake his head up and down to ring the bells. It is Hilarious!!! But he doesn't seem to play with the dark purple ones as much. So I figured that he could at least tell light and dark.

And I also love the idea of stuffing hay into toilet paper rolls. That would keep them busy and give a little excercise too! I know they love to chew on them and toss them around a lot.

Trace_n_Ripley

Cavy Slave
Wow! I tried this and that poor TP tube only lasted three days. I stuffed the increasingly chewed up tube every night and after three days that tube was toast! They absolutely loved it! Thanks!!:cheerful:

Froggirl009

Cavy Slave
Guinea Pig Toys and Play

This has a list of toys for your guinea pig.

I got a Bird mirror with a bell on it for birds at the pet store. My guinea pig used to stare into it and then nudge it to ring the bell and then she would popcorn all around her cage. Hope this helps!

ptbruiser

Cavy Slave
Wow! I tried this and that poor TP tube only lasted three days. I stuffed the increasingly chewed up tube every night and after three days that tube was toast! They absolutely loved it! Thanks!!:cheerful:

I stuffed the hay in the rolls. My babies loved it!!! And Gizmo loves to pick up his little cat balls with the bells in them and shake his head up and down and ring the bell. Then he popcorns! It is hilarious! I was thinking about getting them each a small stuffed animal to sleep with too. I love the idea about a bird mirror, but does anyone else have any other toy ideas? I would like to change toys out so they don't get bored.
Thanks!!

cavyinhawaii

Cavy Slave
Flash loved the pink pigloo. He knew out of all of them which the pink one is and would throw out any pig dare enter. The girls are not as funny about color.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.