Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

My New Piggy

ShainaBee

Cavy Slave
So, you don't even have the proper cage for Sam - but you still went and got another one?

None the less, from a pet store after everyone has said how terrible it is.

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
So, you don't even have the proper cage for Sam - but you still went and got another one?

Actually, he has a tremendous alternative c&c cage that is as big as a floor time area, but it's their "cage". There might be pictures still in his gallery.

Molli_Mayzee

Cavy Slave

I believe his mom bought it for him. He never did say if he discussed the problems of pet stores with her or not. If he never did, don't blame him for his mother's actions. She probably doesn't have a clue, as most people don't until they're told the horrible stories.

He posted pictures of his cage and it's a nice one. I was quite impressed.

relay

Cavy Slave
Okay, so there was no research done but hey, that happens. I'm not saying it was a good idea but now at least SkinnyPig is trying to do the right thing. Let's not be too harsh, let's just help. The pig is bought and that's over with, can't go back. People don't often realize that there are other options like adopting. It was an immature thing to do but it's happened.

I agree with the vet idea. Skinny pigs aren't known for their health. I'm glad your piggie is awesome and brings you lots of joy. What's your cage situation right now and what are you feeding your cavy. As for a second one, make sure you can finicialy handle the first. Often a second pig doesn' actully cost that much for in expenses but if you can't afford one, you can't afford two.

I made a presentation for my parents to get two pigs. I actully found the piggies I wanted, talked to the lady and told her my "situation." She was great! She said she would even talk to my parents if they'd like and there was no pressure to actully take the pigs. They came from a foster-rescue situtation and it worked out great. As for the vacation thing, if there's one pig, why not two? The work doesn't really double but you need to make sure who ever is taking care of them knows what they are doing.

As for a name, what about Webster or Phieffer? Are you into like long names, short names, things named after things, ect...

I think I came into this post a little late. I didn't realize it was so many pages. Sorry if I repeated someone else or if my info was totally not needed. :eek:ptimist:

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
No, they are not trying to do the right thing. They were told the problems about pet stores after they bought their first pig. Then they went back and bought another one.

ShainaBee

Cavy Slave
No, they are not trying to do the right thing. They were told the problems about pet stores after they bought their first pig. Then they went back and bought another one.

I agree with you 100 percent.

Molli_Mayzee

Cavy Slave
Wow. Can't believe it actually happened! This morning we were out shopping like usual. I asked if we could go to Pets Unlimited to look at the guinea pigs and skinny pigs. My mom said "yes" and that she was planning on going anyways. Today is Easter weekend. My mom said to me when we were looking at the skinny pigs " Hey *my name*, which pig do you like the most?" and then I told her which one I liked more. Then the best thing ever happened. My mom got me a skinny pig for Easter! Yes, he/she is from a pet store, but I couldn't help it. My mom just said to the gut that was helping us "I'd ike that pig." And that's how I got Aro today.

It seems to me like he's trying to justify the purchase of his second pig because his mom did it without him knowing. I don't know if I believe that. If he was responsible, he would have talked to his parents about what he's been learning on this site so that they know the best possible way to take care of the pigs. They would have found out about breeders, pet stores, etc. I'm sure if the mother was informed she wouldn't have gotten another pig at that store. I understand he's a kid, but like someone else said, it's just not an excuse.

ShainaBee

Cavy Slave
It seems to me like he's trying to justify the purchase of his second pig because his mom did it without him knowing. I don't know if I believe that. If he was responsible, he would have talked to his parents about what he's been learning on this site so that they know the best possible way to take care of the pigs. They would have found out about breeders, pet stores, etc. I'm sure if the mother was informed she wouldn't have gotten another pig at that store. I understand he's a kid, but like someone else said, it's just not an excuse.

If you re read the original post he wrote you'll read he said "I asked my mom to go to pet whatever blahblahblah" and "she asked me which pig I liked most" blahblah and "she got it for me!" which would infer that he was there with her when she purchased the second pig.

He could of said "no, mom pet stores sell sick animals" or whatever it be.

It is his fault. Kid or not.

Molli_Mayzee

Cavy Slave
If you re read the original post he wrote you'll read he said "I asked my mom to go to pet whatever blahblahblah" and "she asked me which pig I liked most" blahblah and "she got it for me!" which would infer that he was there with her when she purchased the second pig.

He could of said "no, mom pet stores sell sick animals" or whatever it be.

It is his fault. Kid or not.

Since I quoted it in my first post, I am aware of what it said. Thanks for clarifying that.

ShainaBee

Cavy Slave
Since I quoted it in my first post, I am aware of what it said. Thanks for clarifying that.

"It seems to me like he's trying to justify the purchase of his second pig because his mom did it without him knowing."

Obviously not.
You said she did it without him knowing.

Maybe I'm an idiot or something but it clearly says "his mom did it without him knowing"

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
Yeah, and I would like to add to whoever said the thing about skinny pigs not being great for people with allergies either.

I used to have a hairless rat (R.I.P. Roxy), and it is first of all direct skin-to-skin contact between you and the animal, and second of all, many people's allergies to pets like cavies and rats come from traces of urine being found on various parts of the animal's body (mainly feet/nails). Also, when the animal walks or runs about, microscopic particles of urine may be knocked up into the air, settling on the allergic human's skin, causing a reaction.

Also, she could be allergic to the hay, or the dust from it. Chinchillas need hay, right? I don't know much at all about them, except that they need hay.

It just doesn't amount to a whole lot of sense.

new piggie

Cavy Slave
My mom already thinks I've turned the house into a zoo!
I have 1 rabbit, 2 Lovebirds, a Dog(Shih-tzu) and now i have my wonderful Skinny Pig!

I know this post is late. And it kind of goes back to what i said earlier. How does mom keeps pets in the house if she's allergic. This was a flashback I just had sorry! I have another coming. Imarieaa that means that the kid isn't telling the whole story like I said in a prior post. It seems to me mom and dad are getting the animals to occupy him/her (only my personal opinion)

lmarieaa

Cavy Slave
It just doesn't amount to a whole lot of sense.

I agree, all of SkinnyPig's statements seem to contradict each other.
I would just really like to know what is really going on...

I know this post is late. And it kind of goes back to what i said earlier. How does mom keeps pets in the house if she's allergic. This was a flashback I just had sorry! I have another coming. Imarieaa that means that the kid isn't telling the whole story like I said in a prior post. It seems to me mom and dad are getting the animals to occupy him/her (only my personal opinion)

The other animals may be "outside" pets, which is sad. But, who knows what to believe anymore.

Last edited:

new piggie

Cavy Slave
I agree, all of SkinnyPig's statements seem to contradict each other.
I would just really like to know what is really going on...

The other animals may be "outside" pets, which is sad. But, who knows what to believe anymore.

I agree, this kid has me so confused I think I'm finished posting here *shrugs*.

ShainaBee

Cavy Slave
Each time I post I say I'm done but this kid needs to get his story straight.
It's like he lied saying he had to get a skinny due to his moms allergies so we wouldn't be angry about him buying from a petstore.

A shitzu isn't hypoallergenic and every knows a rabbit isn't' either.

Come on skinny pig, I want to hear the explanation for this one.
None of this is making sense.

lmarieaa

Cavy Slave
Originally Posted by ShainaBee
Come on skinny pig, I want to hear the explanation for this one.
None of this is making sense.

I doubt we are going to get any explanations at this point...

s.edwards

Cavy Slave
This is so sad! I have to say we have quite a zoo here, but we know where to draw the line. We have 3 cats, 2 gerbils, 2 guinea pigs and a dog. My husband wants a skinny pig and a lizard but we know at this time we don't have the time or means to care for them. This kid sounds to me like the beginnings of a hoarder. If there is no money to care for pets in the proper way, then don't add new animals into the mix.

Skinny Pig

Cavy Slave
I had the same questions, but just assumed that they were "outside" pets, which is something that saddens me, dogs want to be apart of the family not alone in the yard.
or maybe the dog is hypoallergenic like a poodle or a hairless. who knows.

The rabbit is an outdoor rabbit and the dog is a shih-tzu. Hy-per-aller-gen-ic! Why don't you people just give up trying to control my decisions. And no my mom and dad never stepped in to help me write things. I AM AN ANIMAL LOVER, I NEVER GET BORED OF ANIMALS, AND I AM NOT IRRESPOSIBLE!!!>( Don't you dare try to blame my parents for any of this.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Yes, you are irresponsible for buying pets from pet stores and not caring for them properly.

Why is your poor rabbit housed outdoors? You know they do not live as long outdoors and need more attention than that. Hutch bunnies live miserable existences.

ShainaBee

Cavy Slave
You're in Canada?
I bet it gets pretty cold there.

What do you do with the rabbit when it is cold out?
Throw a tarp over it and call it a night?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.