Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

My New Piggy

Skinny Pig

Cavy Slave
Ok thanks anyway. And also I could barely find any information until the day before we got him. (My mom didn't tell me when we were going to get him)Also I found all the information I have on this site.

Kipsie

Cavy Slave
I found a website for you but i'm not sure if you should trust it, so i'm not posting it. I'd stick with the info on this site and library books. Hey, maybe you can find books at the petstore. Google "skinny pig books".

Skinny Pig

Cavy Slave
Ok I'll try that. Thank you for all of your help.

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
One more thing, if you find a site for skinny pigs, can you please post them here. I now know that they are different from guinea pigs and i thought that they were just another breed.

Skinny pigs are just a different breed of guinea pig. They're the same exact thing, just a different breed. Also, the different breeds of guinea pigs aren't as different from each other like, for example, different breeds of dogs are.

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
Skinny pigs are just a different breed of guinea pig. They're the same exact thing, just a different breed. Also, the different breeds of guinea pigs aren't as different from each other like, for example, different breeds of dogs are.

Skinny pigs have completely different needs than regular GP's.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Go to www.guinealynx.info and search the forums. You will not find any library books on them. And the breeder sites on them are greatly misleading.

Res Judicata

Cavy Slave
Skinny Pig -- I have plenty of respect for guinea pigs. I do not have respect for your choices. If you were serious about getting a pet, any kind of pet, you would have done your research first before jumping in and grabbing up the first animal you thought was "cool." You would have found out about skinny pigs' special needs, that guinea pigs are social animals who need companionship, found out the costs of keeping a couple healthy and happy, then discussed things with your parents before getting them. This is constructive criticism, also known as common sense. Anyone getting a pet should take the time to research what they are getting into before just snapping up the nearest one because they think it is cool. You buy a shirt because it is cool. You buy a pet because you do your research, decide the pet is a good fit and know that you are able to provide properly for it. If this pig was the best thing that happened to you, you would take the time it see that.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Could we maybe try to help our newest member learn to care for their new friend in the best manner possible instead of jumping all over them? What this person needs now is help, information and support. Please remember, we all started somewhere. Most people don't even realize that guinea pigs and other animals are available in rescues and shelters.

Irregardless of where this young person got their pig the fact remains that they have gotten a pet that needs our help to insure it's caretaker does the best job possible. Lord, knows that skinny pigs already have the genetic chips stacked against them. Lets not run off someone because they made an ignorant choice. Try to think about the animal.

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave

Um, of course they do......I actually never said that they didn't have different needs than regular guinea pigs. By providing the dogs as an example, I was meaning more in terms of personality and temperment.
I had a hairless rat before, so I definetely know that a skinny pig would have different needs than a regular guinea pig, just like a "skinny rat" has different needs than a regular rat.

sophistacavy

Cavy Slave
Skinny Pig---You definetely need to adopt a companion guinea pig for your current one. Not only will it provide the required companionship that all piggies need, but it is also a living breathing, source of warmth for your skinny pig.
You could look into getting a small animal heater. That's what I did for my hairless rat and my duckling, when I had them. You have to keep it clean, but it's well worth it. This is the one I have: (broken link removed)

Also, you should invest in a polar fleece cavy cozy or two. I believe that the polar fleece is the warmer, more "insulating" of the fleeces. I used this for my hairless rat: (it's not a cozy, but it's an example of polar fleece. Check guineapighome.com for people selling cozies, there are bound to be some that offer polar fleece as a material) Sleepers & Hideouts for Ferrets, Rats, & Guinea Pigs: Marshall Hanging Ferret Nap Sacks.

You are going to need to get a bag of Oxbow Cavy Cuisine pellets (if your GP is older than 6 months). If a cavy-savvy veterinarian finds that your cavy is less than 6 months, you need to buy a bag of Oxbow Cavy Performance. 6 months or less needs unlimited pellets, older than 6 months needs only 1/8 to 1/4 cup per piggy per day.

For hay, you are going to need to look for Kleenmama's Hayloft brand (online only at (broken link removed)), or Oxbow. KM's is usually preferred. If your GP is under 6 months, it will need alfalfa hay mixed in with the other type of hay (KM's has timothy [best to get the 3rd cut] and bluegrass, and alfalfa). If over 6 months, it should no longer receive any alfalfa hay, only grass hays. Hay must always be available to your guinea pig, 24/7, unlimited.

As for veggies, go to the diet/nutrition thread on here, and go to the bottom of the first top section (sticky threads), and click on where it says Nutrition charts. Print this out, and always refer back to it and refer back to here. Your guinea pig needs at least 1 cup of leafy greens a day, plus other veggies (non leafy greens, as per the nutrition charts). Fruits are to be limited to once or even twice weekly. However, since your piggy has very likely never eaten veggies before, you will need to introduce them slowly.
Start with any type of lettuce (except for iceburg). Offer a few small pieces, along with a few small pieces of green or yellow bell pepper. Leave it all in the cage until the lettuce starts to wilt. You may have to do this for several weeks until your piggie begins to eat, but then again, your piggie might just dive right in! You could also try eating some of the lettuce and bell pepper in front of your piggie, if you have to.

Well, best of luck to you. Hope I could help some!

Skinny Pig

Cavy Slave
Skinny Pig---You definetely need to adopt a companion guinea pig for your current one. Not only will it provide the required companionship that all piggies need, but it is also a living breathing, source of warmth for your skinny pig.
You could look into getting a small animal heater. That's what I did for my hairless rat and my duckling, when I had them. You have to keep it clean, but it's well worth it. This is the one I have: (broken link removed)

Also, you should invest in a polar fleece cavy cozy or two. I believe that the polar fleece is the warmer, more "insulating" of the fleeces. I used this for my hairless rat: (it's not a cozy, but it's an example of polar fleece. Check guineapighome.com for people selling cozies, there are bound to be some that offer polar fleece as a material) Sleepers & Hideouts for Ferrets, Rats, & Guinea Pigs: Marshall Hanging Ferret Nap Sacks.

You are going to need to get a bag of Oxbow Cavy Cuisine pellets (if your GP is older than 6 months). If a cavy-savvy veterinarian finds that your cavy is less than 6 months, you need to buy a bag of Oxbow Cavy Performance. 6 months or less needs unlimited pellets, older than 6 months needs only 1/8 to 1/4 cup per piggy per day.

For hay, you are going to need to look for Kleenmama's Hayloft brand (online only at (broken link removed)), or Oxbow. KM's is usually preferred. If your GP is under 6 months, it will need alfalfa hay mixed in with the other type of hay (KM's has timothy [best to get the 3rd cut] and bluegrass, and alfalfa). If over 6 months, it should no longer receive any alfalfa hay, only grass hays. Hay must always be available to your guinea pig, 24/7, unlimited.

As for veggies, go to the diet/nutrition thread on here, and go to the bottom of the first top section (sticky threads), and click on where it says Nutrition charts. Print this out, and always refer back to it and refer back to here. Your guinea pig needs at least 1 cup of leafy greens a day, plus other veggies (non leafy greens, as per the nutrition charts). Fruits are to be limited to once or even twice weekly. However, since your piggy has very likely never eaten veggies before, you will need to introduce them slowly.
Start with any type of lettuce (except for iceburg). Offer a few small pieces, along with a few small pieces of green or yellow bell pepper. Leave it all in the cage until the lettuce starts to wilt. You may have to do this for several weeks until your piggie begins to eat, but then again, your piggie might just dive right in! You could also try eating some of the lettuce and bell pepper in front of your piggie, if you have to.

Well, best of luck to you. Hope I could help some!

Thank you, I will try these things out with my piggie. Where would you find an animal shelter in Saint John?(Canada, New Brunswick) I really want to get him a buddy, but my mom says I can only have one piggie. Also if you know if Guinea pigs and Skinny Pigs get along, could you tell me? And one last thing, if a skinny pig cost $100.00 at a petstore, how much will they cost at a shelter?
Thanks in advance.

Res Judicata

Cavy Slave
Shelter adoption fees vary. I could tell you the fees in my area, but that is not going to help you. Go find a shelter and ask.

Skinny Pig

Cavy Slave
Ok I'll try to find one.
I had a really bad thought, while I was reading another post:
Their Guinea Pig was store bought, looked like a male, but turned out to be a pregnant female. What if my piggy is also a pregnant female???I'm going to ask my mom if we can go to the vet to see if it's a he or a she or a pregnant she.

Skinny Pig

Cavy Slave
Also, My mom really thinks that I have way too many animals as is, so how am I going to get her to buy another from the shelter?

I have been looking at some cages on this site, and my dad wants to know what coroplast is, I also have no idea what it is. Can someone tell me what it is:?:

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave

Res Judicata

Cavy Slave
Going here will help you figure out if he is really a he.

Sexing Guinea Pigs: How to Sex a Guinea Pig

But do not rule out a vet visit, as others have stated. He could have picked up so much at a breeding mill or pet store.

Skinny Pig

Cavy Slave
Thanks, and I wouldn't rule out a vet visit. Even if my mom said I couldn't go to the vet's he lives 2 minutes away.

claire

Cavy Slave
I'm not sure this is the best welcome to Skinny Pig. She(?) has her pig now and we can only help her care for it and give it the life it deserves. I'm sure by reading through this site she'll understand more about the forum policies on shop-buying/breeding etc and choose a future friend more carefully.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Skinny Pig, hello and welcome to GPC. I hope you will find all the info you could possibly ever want to know around here to help you give the best life you can to your new piggie.

Actually they don't. The biggest difference is making sure that Skinny's stay warm enough. Diet is the same, housing is the same. They can get sick just like any other breeds of cavies only they may end up needing more medical care (and sometimes skin care) because of their genetics. So I don't know why you think Skinny's have completely different needs.

Skinny pigs are guinea pigs.

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
Actually they don't. The biggest difference is making sure that Skinny's stay warm enough. Diet is the same, housing is the same. They can get sick just like any other breeds of cavies only they may end up needing more medical care (and sometimes skin care) because of their genetics. So I don't know why you think Skinny's have completely different needs.

Skinny pigs are guinea pigs.
I understand that but they have much more specific needs when it comes to their health...am I correct in that?

A weaker immune system PLUS they can't maintain heat...

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.