Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

How could I try to stop my piggy being so skittish?

Geegi63

Cavy Slave
Hi there, I've had my piggy for 3 1/2 months now, and he's still skittish :ashamed:.

I put him in his run everyday, and try to do as much lap time as I can, but whenever I try to pick him up, he runs about everywhere therefore getting sawdust all over the floor. I'm not really fussy about the sawdust, it's just I don't want the poor thing to always be frightened of me and think I'm a big scary human! I know how to hold properly, and when he's near my chest he is fine. Maybe he is just a skittish piggy and will always be, but I just need some tips to help. Thanks :eek:.

Myspoiltpiggies

Cavy Slave
Most guinea pigs behave like that. It is natural and there's not much you can do. You see they are low down in the food chain, they are eaten by other animals, but don't eat other animals themselves, they are the prey. This is why the instinct to run is in-built - to keep them safe. I have five guinea pigs and when I come in the room they'll put their nose in the air and squeak, hoping I have veggies with me, but once I put my hand in, they scarper!

Geegi63

Cavy Slave
Haha, same here. He squeaks his head off when someone walks past, and I put my hand in to stroke him, he then freezes for 2 seconds then ruuuuuns!

wigglesgiggles1

Cavy Slave
One of my piggies was mistreated before I got him so he is still skittish after a year. I think it is a combination of his personality and his past.

teatea121

Cavy Slave
I have my two piggies for almost a week now. Skittish still...

akstrohm

Cavy Slave
I have my two piggies for almost a week now. Skittish still...

It will probably take several months for them to relax around you. Some pigs are naturally very skittish. The most you can do is handle them often, talk as you approach the cage, approach the cage slowly, get down on their level so you're not towering over them, and hand feed them lots of veggies.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
Some pigs never stop being skittish. I have a pig who is 4 1/2 years old and she's still skittish. They are prey animals and it's in their nature to be like that.

Haley0489

Cavy Slave
One of my pigs is still skittish after a year. It's just the way he is.

ilovestars

Cavy Slave
Lola who is two, that I have had since she was about eight weeks old is still skittish about everything. Stella is a bit more braver then her sister Tink. Then theirs Jazz (who's three) is my bravest pig, she is the only one that will let you pet in the cage. The sisters pigs are warming up nicely to everyone. It just really depends on the pig. Sometimes I feel bad when Lola runs for her life when I try to pick her up. They aare just silly things.

teatea121

Cavy Slave
It will probably take several months for them to relax around you. Some pigs are naturally very skittish. The most you can do is handle them often, talk as you approach the cage, approach the cage slowly, get down on their level so you're not towering over them, and hand feed them lots of veggies.

Somehow I feel a bit better after learning piggies are skittish in nature. I will keep trying and keep giving them love and veggies.lol

RainbowPiggy

Cavy Slave
I was wondering the same thing :[

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.