Thread: I seperated my babies, but Charlie and the baby boys aren't hitting it off

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    50 Rec'd/34 Posts

I seperated my babies, but Charlie and the baby boys aren't hitting it off

How often is it successful that a trio of boars will get along? Charlie is a year old, and the babies are 3 weeks today. I just put mom and little girl in one cage, and of course they are perfectly fine, cuddleing the whole time, but Charlie and the boys have been arguing this whole time. One of the babies are trying to overturn Charlie! So far though there is no serious fighting, just the usual raised hackles, rumblestrutting, chasing eachother, mounting, etc.

Cavy Slave
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,146 Rec'd/634 Posts

Re: I seperated my babies, but Charlie and the baby boys aren't hitting it off

Did you introduce them on neutral territory? A buddy bath may help so the babies don't smell like the sows still.

It's rare an adult won't be nice to babies.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    50 Rec'd/34 Posts

I did an intro before, so I had it down this time. We were all on my floor, and it wasn't Charlie that wasn't being nice, on of my little ones was trying to overturn him. He rumblestrutted a little in the begining, but then the little ones were all over him. One of the little ones is more passive, so that isn't really a problem, but another thinks he's much bigger than he is. Things have calmed down a little more now, the littles ones are makeing all kinds of different squeaks, some wheeking, some other ones I dont know the names of . And Charlie is laying down. But soon the little one will suddenly get some energy and be all over Charlie again, like earlier. I guess I might be worrying too much. I'll see how things go through the night, they're in my room so I'll wake up to anything big.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    62 Rec'd/49 Posts
    Blog Entries

It sounds like your baby is trying to take over as the boss.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    50 Rec'd/34 Posts

I think he is, but Charlie is so much bigger than him, it's weird. Charlie is trying not to be too mean to him, just put him in his place. So far they've given up and left Charlie alone, but now and then I'll hear Charlie rumbling again and the little ones chasing him around.

Lethal Guru
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Quoted
    8 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    555 Rec'd/152 Posts
    Blog Entries

"Hey hey, I'm the boss! I can hump Uncle Charlie! Look at me go!"
    "Quit it, you little whippersnapper! Get off my lawn and turn down that music!"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    107 Rec'd/64 Posts

salana, thanks! I really needed that laugh!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts

I had a two year old boar and we got a 8 week old one and introduced him a few weeks ago. To begin with they didn't get along to well but now they seem fine just the odd teeth chattering, so as long as they're not fighting enough to draw blood then they're probably just establishing who the boss is. Be prepared to separate them though if they really don't get along.

User Tag List