Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Guinea Pig relationships - do pigs get jealous?

theresaj

Cavy Slave
Well, Frankie definitely is in charge of the relationship. Anyway when I let them play just a bit ago I noticed Frankie seems to see Dino as a rival for my affection? The reason I say this is when I tried to pick Dino up so I can bond him a bit more, Frankie would come and butt Dino out of the way and them climb on my chest. He seems to think that's his spot? Do pigs get jealous of a new one? Frankie was the only pig for quite some time. Should I just play with one at a time, or am I good just letting them play together? Do they get jealous? Should I play with Dino by himself sometimes so we bond more? Is this the first baby complex on Frankie's part? Answers much appreciated in advance!

iluvmypigclover

Cavy Slave
Mmm, I noticed that when we got Crimson, after having Clover for a few months (at which time she was VERY comfortable with us), Clover decided that to get our attention, she would sit on top of her pigloo and wheek at us. It was cute at first, but quite frankly, my family AND Crimson were a bit annoyed with Clover, hogging the spotlight.

Mind you, we did give them equal attention all throughout Crimson's life...

tehdoc809

Cavy Slave
I'm no expert in cavy behavior but my Heidi and Gertrude are the same way sort of. Gertrude is the dominant female and as such makes sure Heidi knows her place. The main ways this shows is with the hidey houses and food. If Gertrude finds Heidi in one of the houses she wants in she chases her out and whenever its food time Gertrude gets her fill first before Heidi can get hers.

The Food thing actually works to my advantage because Heidi is willing to eat wider variety of veggies than Gerty and Gerty will get mad that Heidi is getting food and will come over and eat it even if its something she wont take from my hand. Anyway, it could just be a dominance thing.

Just watch and make sure that Frankie isn't bullying Dino, it can happen. Watch for Frankie not letting Dino eat or drink at all.

theresaj

Cavy Slave
Yes that was a concern too, but they share the food and snacks just fine. :) Frankie just acts like that when I bring them to play time.

NicholsS10

Cavy Slave
Before my herd of pigs grew to 5, and I just had my original 2, they would sit on my futon with me (on towels of course). BoJangles, my most dominant girl, would crawl up onto my lap for affection, and then she would crawl up onto my chest. Root Beer would then soon follow her and snuggle right up against her on my chest. Now, Root Beer was EXTREMELY shy and came from a bad environment before living with me, she was wary of people, and still wary of me. I think that she crawled up on me to be close to BoJangles, who she grew very fond of. This was also the only time when BoJangles would allow Root Beer to snuggle up with her. So maybe your pigs are just fond of each other. Is that possible? I hope this helps, even if it just offers a different perspective.

Harrys Dad

Cavy Slave
My guess is that like any animal or human they do get jealous when they were used to all the attention and now they have to share it but I am sure once Frankie knows that you love them both he will feel better and leave Dino alone more but I am sure he will still butt in when he can.

hueyeats

Cavy Slave
My bubbles does get a bit jealous when I give attention to any other piggy.

See, I am the sole food giver and she is my alarm clock for wanting attention & food of course. And I have spoilt her because she really is special to me & she knows it too. Even if she is my youngest pig, she will shove other pigs even the dominant out of her way when I place veggies dish into their cage... she always gets served first.

Ahhh... she is too cute in her little ways & I just really really love my little one.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.