Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Male piggy, 1 yr. old, wants a brother.

lauren

Cavy Slave
I have one male, and am thinking about getting him a little friend, but have heard that males who are not from the same litter will not get along with each other. Do any of you have experience putting two males together? Any tips?

guinea_luver44

Cavy Slave
Well, Sort of... well, I suggest just put them in the cage for about an hour and check on them often and make sure they are not fighting. If they are then you will have to get rid of the new pig =/ not sure how u would though.. =/ I think that u should maybe try it.. but I don't have any real expirience..

lauren

Cavy Slave
thanks, that's helpful... Don't know if I want to risk having a mismatch, then trying to find someone to adopt the new little guy. I'll have to do some more thinking here.

joab97

Cavy Slave
I just had the same question not too long ago. Go to this site and it will tell you everything you need to know. Mine is still in quaratine,so I dont know yet.I am keeping my fingers crossed that they get along. I also have 2 boars. Here's the site https://cavyspirit.com/sociallife.htm that should help. Good luck.

Last edited:

Katie

Cavy Slave
Thats not true at all. It just depends on their personality. Usually, two males from the same litter end up fighting because they go through adolesence together.

Most males get along fine, provided they have a big enough cage. I have had success with introducing males together, of all different ages, however some people find it easier to introduce a younger one to an older.

Find a rescue willing to match their personalities. You should be fine. If they end up not getting along in the end, putting a divider in the cage, so they can still see and smell eachother is better then not having a second pig at all.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
It is better to introduce them on neutral ground (playpen, kitchen floor, bathroom floor) rather than the cage that one of them lives in. Then thoroughly clean the cage putting fresh bedding and all in before adding the newly introduced pair. You will know pretty quick if they don't get along. There are some normal behaviors and some behaviors that aren't so normal. If they fly at each other and the fur is flying and they are truly attacking each other then you would need to separate them with a dustpan so as not to get bit.

Please make sure if you adopt a new guinea to quarantine him in a separate room for 3 weeks before trying to introduce.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
If you find a rescue near you, they can help match up your piggie with a friend.

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave
make sure the male is not a single male meaning always has been a loner or never has been aroung other boars for a long time or ever. Thats what happened to my Scruffy he being the only boar and rest sisters he was always around girls and thats how he got Muffy his siter preganat befor I got them both. I would ask if the boar has been around other boars. Thats the main question also go to the link that joab gave you. Oh by the way Joab did you get another boar for your little one.

Auzziefreak

Cavy Slave
I think even if he had been by himself he would still do fine, considering you have a pig that would match him.

Katie

Cavy Slave
make sure the male is not a single male meaning always has been a loner or never has been aroung other boars for a long time or ever.
Huh? Whats that have to do with introducing another boar?

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
I don't know. Some myth like the thing that boy piggies won't get along or you can't put a male with another male if he's ever mated or fathered a litter.

shortlilcutie

Cavy Slave
i had a 3 year old male, and got him a baby brother that was about 3 months old and they love each other! cannot be seperated! id say just make sure to get a much smaller and younger boy, more then likely they should be fine!

lauren

Cavy Slave
Thank you, shortlilcutie -- that's exactly what I wanted to hear!
Meanwhile, the info on Cavysprit has been very helpful too.

Auzziefreak

Cavy Slave
Hope you find the perfect pig!

joab97

Cavy Slave
Yes I did AngelCavies...His name is Rusty and he is the cutest little thing!! He is the friendliest little cavie :)!!! I got a boar that is younger than Charlie and I am hoping they get along.

lauren

Cavy Slave
What's Angelcavies?

lauren

Cavy Slave
Oh - I see - Woops, sorry, Angelscavies --I thought you were the name of a website..

lauren

Cavy Slave
Okay, I'm gonna do it -- Timmy's gonna get a little bro.
I've emailed the pet shelters around here, and we're going to find a little fella.
Time to expand the cage!

AngelsCavies

Cavy Slave
awwww thats great joa. Thats ok you were just curious lauren. I did that once too. oops. I forgive you.

joab97

Cavy Slave
Good luck Lauren and keep us posted!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.