Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Discussion on the "Flag CraigsList Breeder Ads" Thread

Intrepidcub
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
Intrepidcub
Intrepidcub

gooberific

Cavy Slave
Re: Flag CraigsList Breeder Ads

Personally, I read the ads and decide for myself whether or not to flag. That topic is discussed earlier in this thread. The point of flagging questionable ads is not to force legitimate people attempting to rehome their pets, but to discourage breeders and do our part to help the pet overpopulation.

I have seen rescues post on Craigslist. I have even taken in one of my guys from a girl who could no longer care for the little pigger, and I never would have found him without Craigslist. However, one of Craigslist's policies is that animals are NOT to be "for sale." I will continue to flag any ad that states an animal is "for sale." Small rehoming fees are acceptable, but over $300 for some pets... that doesn't sound like a small rehoming fee to me.

Many of the ads listing animals available as "presents" are also people who are breeders. I'm not saying all, by any means. "Gifts" around the holidays is a great attention-grabber, and I cannot fault someone for doing what they can to get their animal a good home. Additionally, I have seen several ads stating they have MORE THAN ONE litter of rats, guinea pigs, rabbits, you name it. This is an anti-breeding site. MORE THAN ONE litter... someone is going to have to come up with a really good reason for those to be accidents before I'm going to accept that they are not a backyard breeder. (I can understand if a person is taking in pregnant cavies, or whatever other animal, things happen. But they should say that in their blurb!!)

Welcome to the kitchen.

Edited to add:

Guess you never thought that making it difficult to find homes for these animals will force some owner to get rid of them any way they can. and FYI one person you flagged was looking for a home for her young GP cause it was fighting with her other one and she doesnt know what to do with it other than to find it a new home but you flagged her. Maybe she should leave them together and let them fight to the death Since your flagging a way to relocate him. Wouldnt it be more proper to email and let these people know the dangers than to flag them anonymously like cowards?

If a reason is stated in an ad, I *DO* send emails. If something LOOKS like it might be a breeder, I send an email and ask how their animals are housed. Very rarely, when I ask if they are a breeder, do i get a response back.

(Adding more)
I am a stay-at-home-mom and a full-time college student. I do not spend my entire day reading every city's ads. I can only discuss the times I have gone and looked, and I do read every ad that is posted here, unless it has already been flagged for removal before I see it, so those are the only ads I refer to personally, and the way that I handle them.

wow_wtf

crazywiggy

Cavy Slave

I think Craigslist is a perfectly acceptable way for someone to try to find a new home for a pet they can not keep, or for a potential owner to find a new pet to adopt.

But there are two things to consider here...

1) This site (GPC) is pro-rescue, anti-breeding. Most of the members here feel strongly about this and want to save animal lives by reducing back yard breeding, and promoting adoption. Flagging craigslist ads is one way of doing this. If the BYBs can not get rid of their "stock" they will stop breeding!

2) No one here is deliberately flagging legitimate ads. The rules of Craigslist specifically state under their list of prohibited items "Household pets of any kind... Rehoming with a small adoption fee OK"

In other words the values on CL are the same as on here - rehoming animals is fine, selling animals is bad.

Of course, in some cases it is difficult to tell, but every breeder ad removed is one step in stopping byb's and reducing overpopulation!

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave

Craigs list does not allow breeders or animal sales. Rehoming only. Read the rules.

Intrepidcub

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave

Craigslist doesn't allow breeders to post ads on their site. It is their policy. Feel free to tell them about our site which HELPS THEM police their own policy.

If you've got an issue with a particular ad that you think is NOT a breeder ad, feel free to reference that ad to dispute whether or not it's a breeder.

We absolutely want people needing to rehome their PETs to do so on Craigslist as it keeps them out of the shelters and rescues and worse.

Intrepidcub

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave

You really think we are the only ones flagging breeders? Please. Craigs list doesn't have moderators patrolling the forums. That's why they have the flagging system.

breezy2

Cavy Slave

I will flag an ad only if I am 100% sure it is a breeder. There have been a few, I questioned, so I did not flag them. I am not sure about that one you mention inter, there is nothing mentioned about a charge. If I called them or emailed them and heard they are asking a small adoption fee that is as much or more than it is to purchase one from a petshop, which we are also against, then I would be suspicious. It would sound more like selling than rehoming. I think every person deserves to be able to find a home for their animals that are either unwanted or just that they are unable to take care of, but I don't think they should make a profit from them.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave

how bout this one

(broken link removed)

This person rescued a bunny that turned out to be pregnant now she has to find home for the babies does that make her a breeder? Sounds like when i bought a 2 dollar fish that turned out was pregnant and had 14 babies.

I don't know what ad you are reading. Either you emailed this person and got that story back or you're making big assumptions.

MOST people who are pet owners and NOT backyard breeders put in some sad story about why they have to rehome an animal. Quite frankly, it reads like a backyard breeder ad to me. If it's NOT, then the person posting is too ignorant of CL and needs a lesson on how to post properly anyway. It's far better to air on the side of caution and get rid of all the backyard breeder ads than not. They crowd out the legitimate ads. And those posting legit ads need to be darn clear on their ads.

wow_wtf

Adorable

Cavy Slave

Your just a little bit special aren't you??

Perhaps you should take a grammar course before trying to insult someone, no?

RainKindle

Cavy Slave

Not to neccesarily flag but this is ridiculus!
(broken link removed)
I would be highly suspicious of this one. Usually if you are going to breed guineas there are complications if the mothers are 8 months or older. It has to do with their pelvic bone development.

Also, people who are joining this forum just to trash this thread should read this forum's rules and philosophies. This is an anti-breeding site.
There are many back-yard breeders out there that post their litters on craigslist to sell. Not only is that against craigslist rules, but selling litters for profit is not something I want to support. There are too many pets out there that need homes and we shouldn't be buying from careless breeders who are after profit rather than wellbeing.
Responsible breeders don't exist, because if they were responsible, they would see that it is not responsible to add to the problem.
People who say they have no other choice than to "sell" their pet must not have heard of humane societies. No kill shelters, or organizations dedicated to finding homes for their unwanted pets.
If you care about your pet's wellbeing, you simply do not need to "sell" it to find it a good home. I do feel that small animals require a rehoming fee to avoid people who would feed them to snakes. A fee often deters them.
Sometimes legitimate rehoming ads are accidentally targeted. However there are several breeders that disguise themselves with "rehoming fee of $xxx.xx"
Please view
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/principles-philosophies/16544-animal-rights.html
and
https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/policies-guidelines/19259-breeders-read-if-you-breed.html

RainKindle

Cavy Slave

I just happen to have two very loved pets that happened to have a clutch of eggs that I cannot care for.
If I knew I could not care for my loved pets' offspring, then I would know it to be irresponsible to put my two unaltered pets together.
Most people have a basic understanding of biology and know what will happen in such a situation. In my opinion, either you have that basic understanding and are irresponsible with your loved pets, or you do not have that basic understanding and need to properly educate yourself.
It is good that you are responsible enough to attempt to find homes for your mistake, however cursing and baiting a community that cares about the pets is not helping your cause or your argument.

Please view craigslist rules:
prohibited and restricted items - craigslist

Last edited:
Intrepidcub

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
They are animals. They don't really think of "families" and "incest". If you house an unaltered male and unaltered female of the same species, they will breed. Not sure what homosexuality has to do with it. Two boars and two sows can't respectively breed.

MapleOwl18

Cavy Slave
I wouldn't think of them as families in traditional sense either.

After I had left for college, my sister who was still in highschool, decided it would be "fun" to put Marshmallow, our female piggy, in with Mr. Spot our male piggy. Sure enough 3 guinea pig babies pop out.

Now here comes the kicker which kinda negates the "brother sister idea." If you do not remove the male baby guinea pig within 21 days of being born, he will impregnate his mother. How did we learn this :D the hard way of course.

My sister doesn't take little Cherry out soon enough, and guess what, Marshmallow ends up pregnant by her barely 3 week old son. Needless to say the resulting litter of 2 was very, very white, just like their Mommy, and their daddy ummm brother.

In retrospect, we're really lucky no-body involved was a lethal white, (see the sticky earlier in this forum for more information) as Marshmallow was white and Mr. Spot was brown, black, and white. We're also lucky my mom teaches Junior high, and between her students and my sisters friends, we were able to find happy loving homes for all the babies.

We got lucky! Piggies do go at it constantly and can get pregnant during playtime when just visiting. They're like rabbits, in that their natrual predator defense is to breed. Its one of those defense mechanisms of that they can't catch all of us and if even two survive so will our population. A guinea pig herds natural response to a hawk is to stampede in all directions, to confuse it, but also so that it only chooses one instead of wiping out the entire herd. The herd can easily repopulate one missing guinea pig.

My personal opinion is Petfinder.com is a far better site for people actually looking to rehome their pets, and that if breeders are trying to sell their pets on craigslist they should be stopped. It's against the site policy, and when you consider, some of the people might just be buying them for snake food, a little gross. If they are selling them for snake food or profit, it should be stated up front and the guinea pigs should not be sold under the pretense of adoption.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.