Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Discussion on the "Flag CraigsList Breeder Ads" Thread

distancel

Cavy Slave
Wow some people are just crazy =/

leyley904
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.
leyley904

Dav423

Cavy Slave
Re: Flag CraigsList Breeder Ads

(broken link removed)

That's another one that isn't suggestive of breeding, imo. Man I'd hate it if I were to adopt out two pigs of the same age on your craigslist. =/

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave

Actually it really is since this is the same person (broken link removed)

And the same person posts texel babies every other month. I guess that's an accident or coincidence to you?

And the babies are different ages (6 weeks, 8 weeks, 10 weeks, and 5 months), which means she has at least 4 litters. One of your lists had lots of litters in it, did it not?

You get to recognize the breeders after awhile since they repeatedly post in the same style.

Last edited:

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave

Unless I know for sure they were bred purposely I will not flag any ad I see.Big things to look our for are big quantities of babies, large fees, and pedigrees. I see NONE of that here. Only an association of family that could be because there was an accidental litter, they purchased them that way, had a friend that had them beforehand, etc etc, why not give them the benefit of the doubt?
Large fees and pedigrees are NOT the only indication of a breeder ad, especially for guinea pigs, I'm sorry to break it to you. And by the sounds of things you don't want to think nearly anything is a breeder ad. If you don't agree with flagging ads, that's your business, but there's not much reason to start arguments with those who do, especially if they have good reason to strongly suspect that a person/poster is breeding.

That's another one that isn't suggestive of breeding, imo. Man I'd hate it if I were to adopt out two pigs of the same age on your craigslist.
By itself it's not, you're right, but maybe it would be better to ask questions instead of making terse comments about ads you see listed for flagging here.

You get to recognize the breeders after awhile since they repeatedly post in the same style.
It's true, you do, but you have to try to remember that people here look at isolated ads and might not see the harm, and they certainly aren't going to recognize a posting style they aren't familiar with in the first place. Perhaps it would be wise to explain - if only briefly - when you're posting said ads? I realize you're a longtime member and know what you're talking about and when you post something here it's no doubt a breeder whether it seems to be or not, but not everyone recognizes you by reputation alone, so maybe it would be worth the effort just to list a brief description as to why you're certain they're breeder ads when they might seem otherwise questionable to those who don't know the "history" and might think you're posting ads for flagging just because.

edit - I don't mean in the case of the poster asking questions here, as s/he's obviously just looking for an argument, it's just something I thought of that might be a good idea and didn't mean for the above comment to be directed only at you. I know it probably seemed that way and that's why I wanted to clarify.

So, long story short, what I'm suggesting is that all members, who have a CL ad they'd like to see flagged because they know the history, but that history might not be clear to others here reading the post for the first time, it's a good idea to give a little background WITH the ad you'd like to see removed. :melodrama

Last edited:

kavykeeper

Cavy Slave
I think everyone is better off surrendering their small pet to a rescue than listing it on Craigslist where unscrupulous people scan those ads looking for free snake food.

leyley904

Peggysu

Cavy Slave
I think everyone is better off surrendering their small pet to a rescue than listing it on Craigslist where unscrupulous people scan those ads looking for free snake food.

This is why it is encouraged to have an adoption fee. Some ads on craigslist that are free are flagged as well.

Most rescues are always at full compacity, usually it's encouraged to try to find a home and if they can't then surrender them to a rescue.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave

Exactly why I don't want people flagging legitimate ads. We do NOT have the capacity NOR the desire to take in every unwanted animal. We always try to encourage people who want to surrender to make an effort on their OWN first, rather than getting a completely free ride on our backs at OUR cost. And that means advertising their animals in places such as Craigslist, Petfinder, GPH, etc.

leyley904

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Exactly why I don't want people flagging legitimate ads. We do NOT have the capacity NOR the desire to take in every unwanted animal. We always try to encourage people who want to surrender to make an effort on their OWN first, rather than getting a completely free ride on our backs at OUR cost. And that means advertising their animals in places such as Craigslist, Petfinder, GPH, etc.

Of course, that said, it's equally important to keep the damn breeders OFF of such venues as Craigslist and Petfinder and any other GOOD online source that is socially responsible and does not allow breeders to advertise. So, it's important to be discriminating and fair when analyzing and flagging ads. The smarter breeders (and the bar is low) are very good at making their ads read like a rehoming ad. I think it starts to be a fine line (if you're a person who monitors the ads frequently) between seeing legit ads as patterns from previous ads or not. I know I can't trust my own memory. You'd almost have to copy and save off every ad (hmmm) before flagging it and store in a database for comparisons of future ads.

You know, increasingly, some sections in Craigslist require a phone verification before you can post. Generally, they are for bigger ticket item and service sales as far as I can determine, also where perhaps safety and liability come in. For example, I post a limo service ad for a friend of mine in the Travel services section. Recently that had to be verified by phone instead of just free-for-all posting. Maybe we should start a campaign to get CL to do that for the pets section. It would add one more minor step for those looking to legitimately rehome, BUT, for problem posters, like breeders, how many times can they reinvent themselves with new phone numbers? Not quite so easy. But, I'm assuming there is some expense involved in that process. It would be interesting to find out more about CL's business model to see if it's even a reasonable thing to suggest.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Also, just one other complicating point to consider: Some people are not good at writing and being creative, especially when they know their words are going to be public. Some people will look for someone else's ad and model their ad after what they perceive to be a good ad and just make a few changes. I'm not sure how often it happens, but I suspect it does. Could a rehomer unknowingly copy a breeder ad? Unlikely, but possible.

When I advise someone looking to surrender to try on their own first, I always tell them to put as much of their sob story as possible in their ad because that's what gets to people. Hopefully, it makes the ad unique, but breeders know this, too.

Just food for thought...

kavykeeper

Cavy Slave
And overflow the rescues even more? Alot of resuces are at or near capacity. Most snake owners would rather stop by a pet store for some 25 cent mice (poor things) than pay 15 dollars and have to go meet and pick up a a little girl's former guinea pig every time their snake is hungry.

Many of the Craigslist ads list small pets free of charge. I've been an active volunteer with a guinea pig rescue for 8 years. I'd rather they come into the rescue than be fed to a snake or be let loose.

kavykeeper

Cavy Slave

If you're inundated with guinea pig give ups, why don't you request a donation when individuals turn in an unwanted pet? It doesn't hurt to ask and if someone is responsible enough to seek out a rescue to take their pet, they probably will give a donation to help feed the pet.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
Ha, ha, ha. Sorry, I know you really mean well and you're a newbie, so you don't know that I've been doing rescue for over a decade. We all have surrender fees. They've been published for years. Damn few of the surrender calls we get are what you might consider "a responsible surrender." Most are looking for a very quick fix, that is, this very instant, if they can't drive a few miles to dump them on you, they are heading to the shelter or the woods. And pay to dump? Most would and do scoff. They usually can't afford them anymore anyway.

Kavykeeper, rescues are just people like you. How much extra money do you have in your back pocket to pay for someone else's mistakes? And how long --if you've got some--do you think you can keep dolling it out? (of course, not to mention the time, space and heartache) Most of us doing rescue in a serious way no longer even consider taking private "convenience" surrenders. We can't keep up with the shelters when they are on death row! Most of us usually only take in private surrenders on very extenuating circumstances. And those circumstances are usually horrific with no 'surrender fee' in sight--just a lot of red ink from the rescue.

cam767

Cavy Slave

I'm a little confused on this thread. I thought it was to stop breeders. Some of these look more like family pets that people no longer want (includes setup, etc.). Why would we report these? Even petfinder.com tells you not to advertise free to a good home to discourage those "weirdos" who may want to "collect" animals.
Quote from petfinder.com when you post a classified.

For the safety of the animals, "free to good home" ads will not be posted. Adoption fees should be set at a reasonable amount meant to discourage unethical people from collecting animals. Fees should not be based on an animal's registration status, breed, or local desirability. Ads that appear to be selling animals for profit or seem excessive will not be posted on the site.

I don't mind doing my part but like I said, I thought we were only tagging breeders. Did I miss something?

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave

All the ads I posted are breeders or free pet ads (for the reasons you stated).

Which ones do you think are not breeders?

trump_cinnamon

Cavy Slave

All the ads I posted are breeders or free pet ads (for the reasons you stated).

Which ones do you think are not breeders?

I think the ad about the beanie babies in mint condition with original tags isn't a breeder. :D

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave

What the heck are you talking about. Is that a joke?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.