Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Discussion on the "Flag CraigsList Breeder Ads" Thread

Henle15

Cavy Slave
FYI not everyone knows guinea pigs go at it constantly if they can and when you get guinea pigs and think of them as brother and sister the last thing you think of is them breeding. In the world where heterosexuality and this one man one woman is shoved down your throat its natural to want one of each cause nobody wants a gay guinea pig. So blame the Christians for the unintentional baby piggies that are born.

This has to be one of the funniest things I have heard this year. Its definitely in the top 10.

I hope you are kidding, these are ANIMALS not HUMANS, they do not have the same brain capacity and don't think about having babies when it is convenient. I am still laughing so hard right now at the stupidity and ignorance in that whole statement.

If you put males and female animals together, they want to mate, that is the instinct, they don't have a family planner or the smarts to say "hey, we aren't ready for a baby yet let's wait.

I have to copy and save this in my top 10 quotes of the year! Too funny.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
I usually am on this thread everyday or so helping to flag the ads. But I do also think about 20% of the ones that are posted are questionable to me. rabbitsncavyluv has more experience with it but maybe worth taking a second look or emailing the person might be a good idea. Here in Minnesota there are lots of serial flaggers so breeders arnt on there for very long. I was wondering are the ads being flagged because they are breeders, because its against the CL rules or both? Because I know of an online classifieds that is teaming with thousands of BYB (back yard breeders) but as far as I can tell its not against the rules of the website. Is there anything we can do or should I just let it go? Thanks

(broken link removed)

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Kijii unfortunately allows breeder ads.

It is against craigs list rules for breeders to post there.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
So there is nothing we can do about Kijii? Thats sad. Thanks

Piggy_luv3r

Cavy Slave
Re: Flag CraigsList Breeder Ads

How can you tell if its a breeder or just a normal good person just trying to find a new home for their piggy?

guineapig14

Cavy Slave

I feel bad for doing it now didn't know at the time but i have gotten 2 4 week old male guinea pig off of Craigslist.com

DaCourt

Cavy Slave
Not everyone who has babies on Craiglist is a breeder. They may have bought a pig from a pet store that was pregnant, or they had a male and got it a friend that they thought was male and it turned out to be female, and surprise surprise...now they have babies.

There are legitimate ads on CL. DOn't feel bad.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave

How can you tell if its a breeder or just a normal good person just trying to find a new home for their piggy?

You can tell by looking at the ad. Sometimes the person rehoming/ selling tells you if they are a breeder or not. But there are tell tale signs usually.

gunnybunny

Cavy Slave

Omg. This will be fun. I have flagged this one lady for the last week, ever since I called her. I did not realize she was a breeder until I called. Needless to say I did not take the little piggy nor did I call her back to give her an answer if I was going to take him.

DalesLass

Cavy Slave
Firstly I am seeking an explanation from rabbitsncavyluv as to why she gave me the patronising “No thank you DalesLass I respectfully disagree” when I queried her post inciting members to flag the Craigslist advert “Five Red Satin Guinea pigs”.

Secondly, I wish to ask a question about cultural differences between USA and UK.

I appreciate that we are trying to stop backyard breeders, in whatever guise, from placing adverts on Craigslist to sell surplus stock. I realise that rabbitsncavyluv spends hours every day on this task and is an expert in the kind of ruses that backyard breeders will use.

However...I have real difficulty in understanding her reasons for flagging this post where someone is attempting to rehome five cavies belonging to his terminally ill wife.

In UK we would NEVER lie about a family member being terminally ill. Is it different in USA? Do people say “please help me carry my bags from the store, I have a terminal illness” or “please release me from this financial debt as I have a terminal illness”. I don’t know- in UK we just WOULDN’T lie about it. People in UK are often very private about their illnesses – it is our culture.

If someone is brave enough to admit “I need help” whether it is rehoming guinea pigs or manual tasks it just ISN’T something that they would lie about. Very, very occasionally someone tries to lie about this to gain favours of some sort and I can assure you that it makes the national papers because it is something so alien to us.

So.... perhaps people have a very different attitude in USA; but if rabbitsncavyluv is wrong about this person being a breeder and she has added to the incredible sadness of this person’s life just to protect five guinea pigs I really don’t know what to say. I suppose it isn’t really me that she ultimately has to answer to for her actions.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Thank-yous and No-Thank-Yous do not need to be explained and should not be questioned (unless done privately and respectfully).

The Thanks/No Thanks feature was added so that members could let their feelings about a subject be known without having to get into/join into a debate.

I understand that you are unhappy about getting a "No Thanks" but it's not a big deal and rabbitsncavyluv does not need to explain.

DalesLass

Cavy Slave
Thank-yous and No-Thank-Yous do not need to be explained and should not be questioned (unless done privately and respectfully).
Sorry, I hadn't seen the rule about that. I thought that the kitchen was for discussions that's why I asked it here.
I understand that you are unhappy about getting a "No Thanks" but it's not a big deal and rabbitsncavyluv does not need to explain.

Oh no problem with the 'no thanks'; I just felt sorry for the bloke with the terminally ill wife and wouldn't want to add to his sadness so I personally chose not to flag the post.
Perhaps I feel a bit sensitive about making life difficult for those less fortunate than ourselves; on Tuesday I'm going to fetch two pigs from someone who has cancer and is finding it difficult to cope right now. I just know how I would feel if someone on a forum deliberately made his life more difficult if he didn't have people to help with his pigs occasionally and needed to advertise to rehome them.

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
There is no "rule" about not questioning the Thanks/no-thanks given--it's just the way we handle it. If somone is abusing the thanks/no-thanks feature they will get an infraction but that rarely happens.

Not everyone will agree about what should and should not be flagged. For instance, on my local Craigslist, I flag anyone rehoming a dog or a cat that isn't spayed/neutered. In my opinion I think it's horribly irresponsible to give away/sell an unwanted animal that is capable of reproduction and can create MORE unwanted animals. Many people disagree with my philosophy and think I'm hindering animals getting better homes. I may be, but I'm also possibly stopping an animal from going into a home where it will breed. I'd rather they took the animal to the SPCA then give it away unaltered.

Onetwo

Cavy Slave
Hmmm That is very interesting Voodoo. We personally dont alter our pets weather it is declawing, spaying or neutering UNLESS there is a behavioual issue (clawing furniture or carpet as we live in a rental) But we only have male pets and they are NEVER allowed outside our doors nor are Females are allowed in our apartment. In the last 4 years we have never had a pet escape or otherwise. I agree that they shouldnt sell an unaltered pet for $100 or more. But I wouldnt flag them because they cant or wont get their pet altered.

I dont always agree with Rabbitsncavylove. I sometimes choose to not flag them. I too have a hard time telling if they are breeders or not as well but I am getting better. Things are very different here. I once had a friend tell me that our mutual friend (my ex fiance) had died. I found out a year later that he wasnt. So yeah people can be complete A** as long as they get their way. They will even do nasty things to make you hurt if they feel like it. Its terrible and I hate these people. So simply put if you dont feel comfortable flagging it then dont. Its your choice.

I hope everyone has a good day!!! I LOVE THIS SITE!!!

Henle15

Cavy Slave
I don't know if it's a UK thing or a USA thing but yes people will say anything to get what they want. Unless you (not directed at anyone) live in a bubble and never work or have a job or watch the news or tv, then people have to know and not be so nieve to think that people won't lie when they can get their way.

Those are the types of people that answer those scam emails and give out their SSN to people over the phone because its the "bank" and they need to reactivate your account. Or the ones that say "dear sir, you have $1.5 Million Yen waiting to be transferred to your bank account please send us all your information so we can complete the transaction".

Questions should always be asked about why people do what they do, hopefully the person is legit and not lying about the whole situation.

There was a petstore here that claimed to be a rescue and was "adopting out guinea pigs for $21.99, Rescues don't do that type of pricing. Needless to say they were reported to the State and got in trouble for false advertising. So questioning does work.

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
I just want to add my two cents that people who legitimately need to rehome their animals should be able to. I am ALWAYS referring people who want to surrender to me to try CL, PF and GPH first. If their ads are unfairly flagged, what is their alternative? To dump them on a rescue or shelter?

They need a legitimate outlet.

Yes, some people know how to post to get around things, but I think you really need to draw the line somewhere.

If a post sounds truly legit, then it's adopter beware and people should qualify the adopter.

If you feel strongly that one might be out to dupe someone, then it's more ethical to call or email them and try to ascertain the truth before assuming guilty until proven innocent.

That's my opinion.

That said, I also agree with VJ's position on cats and dogs and neutering.

blackarrow

Cavy Slave
Secondly, I wish to ask a question about cultural differences between USA and UK. . . .

If someone is brave enough to admit “I need help” whether it is rehoming guinea pigs or manual tasks it just ISN’T something that they would lie about. Very, very occasionally someone tries to lie about this to gain favours of some sort and I can assure you that it makes the national papers because it is something so alien to us. . . .

Maybe I'm a cynic but I have a very hard time believing that there is any country in the entire world where it would make the national news if someone lied about their reasons for rehoming a guinea pig.

Please don't make this a "US v. UK" issue. People of all nations lie all the time over all sorts of things, big and small.

MissFormosa

Cavy Slave
Ugh - I looked on Craigslist this morning. You wouldn't believe the amount of guinea pigs on their being rehomed. A lot of them are about 4-7 months old. I bet these are from the G-Force movie guinea pig craze. Makes me sick. One lady had her guinea pig homed in an aquarium glass tank. :mad:

I would love to take them in, but I am at maximum capacity. And I have pigs going through puberty one after the other. Ugh!

leyley904
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave

A lot of these that are being posted are not breeders. They at least have nothing pointing towards breeding. Craiglist allows pets being sold, just not breeding.
I moved your post to the discussion thread where it should have been posted to begin with. The other thread is for posting links only, this one is for any discussion relating to that thread.

There are a lot of breeders who will use any means necessary to sell their pigs. Some pose as rescuers, some will say "accidental pregnancy", etc. You have to have a trained eye to know what you are looking at when referencing the ads.

Also if you look at their list of prohibited items, the following appears on the list:
Household pets of any kind including but not limited to dogs, cats, primates, cage birds, rodents, reptiles, amphibians, fish. Re-homing with small adoption fee OK

prohibited and restricted items - craigslist

No one is allowed to sell pets on craigslist.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.