Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Is my guinea pig sick?!

Linda122005
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Toadies

Cavy Slave
Don't laugh! Smell the inside of his ears. Do they smell a little "off"? Infection has an odor that is just not right. He also could have ear mites. The vet that I worked for would laugh at me if I told him that an animal's ears, incision etc smelled funny like infection, but I wasn't often wrong.

Linda122005

khptown

Cavy Slave
I think I remember reading that guinea pigs can get ear infections, and when they get one they will shake their heads. If I remember correctly, it can cause a permanent head tilt if left untreated. If I am wrong though, someone will come and correct me. Good luck.

Lauren&Pigs

Cavy Slave
Sounds like an ear infection or ear mites to me.
If your guinea pig experiences difficulty walking or holds it's head tilted to one side, see a vet immediately. Prompt treatment is critical for complete recovery. This can indicate a bacterial infection of the inner ear requiring topical and/or oral antibiotics. A vet will also check for parasites and other conditions.
Rabbit ear mites (Psoroptes cuniculi) may affect guinea pigs. The guinea pig may be seen scratching and shaking its head and the wax in the ears may appear dirty and reddish brown (sometimes just described as "dark"). A dried sugary exudate has been described in some cavies, which may be an early case of psoroptes cuniculi.
More information: Guinea Lynx :: Ear Mites

Linda122005

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
Also when he's placed back into his cage (its where it mostly occures) he begins to shake his head (kinda like if he just got showered and is drying up) and at the same time jumps around and does laps around his cage.

Sounds like popcorning to me.

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
I was just going to say popcorning.

As for the fevers couldn't guinea pigs have a higher temp. then us?

Do suddenly your pigs ears get red or is it constant or when you shine a fashlight under it? If so it could just be his ears.

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
Guinea pigs average body temperature is 99-103 fahrenheit.
To me it sounds like he's popcorning, you didn't know they have a higher body temerature then us, and he may have ear mites.

Deenanicole08

Cavy Slave
It just sounds like he's popcorning, which is a good thing. Could you take a picture of his ears and post it so we could see what you're seeing?

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I don't believe ear mites will cause fever. An ear infection on the other hand may cause fever.

Linda122005

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
My pigs with pink ears have always tended to have really dark red ears when they're worked up about something. The veins swell, the ears darken, and you can just imagine steam coming out of their ears as they say, "Mommy, would you please STOP clipping my nails?!"

Linda122005
Linda122005

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
So what was his diagnosis?

Linda122005

PiggieMamaKelly

Cavy Slave
From the sound of it, I'm not so sure this vet has any clue about guinea pigs and just gave you some kind of medication to make you feel like he was doing something. It might be a good idea to look around for a more competent guinea pig vet.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
What medications did the vet prescribe?

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.