Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

White Discharge?

Bella_Sousa

Cavy Slave
So I was watching Bella, my female cavy while in her cage. I've recently switched from CareFresh bedding to a purple fleece. Well I noticed that she was backing up into a corner, normal I'm-going-to-pee behavior, but when she left, I noticed some thick, creamy white discharge. Hmm. I just washed the fleece about 4 hours ago, so I know what I saw was new. As far as the people at the pet store could tell me she's about 4-5 mths old.

Is this normal for female piggies? Could she have a yeast infection?

She doesn't seem to be acting any different. I've only had her for about a month, if anything she's warmed up to the family now and doesn't hide in her igloo all the time. But other then that, I don't really notice any difference in her behaviour.

Any suggestions or comments would be much appreciated.

theresaj

Cavy Slave
Where was the discharge coming from? Her eyes, nose, genital area?

Bella_Sousa

Cavy Slave
Her genital area. I was watching her explore and then noticed her back up in the corner closest to me, and then when she walked away, that's where the white discharge was.

Haley0489

Cavy Slave
Are you sure it wasn't urine? It's commonly a cloudy white/cream color.

Deenanicole08

Cavy Slave
This sounds disgusting, but of course you can wash your hands after, but feel if it's gritty. It sounds like she did go pee, but she may have too much calcium in her diet.

https://www.guinealynx.info/normal.html

Check that site out. If you scroll down that page a little you'll see a section on urine. See if that helps you.

Bella_Sousa

Cavy Slave
Thank You! That site did help! I was worried because I have seen my piggie pee on the kitchen floor and it was alway a cloudy yellow, so this white color threw me for a loop! Thanks!

Deenanicole08

Cavy Slave
No problem :)
I thought it was a little weird and that something was wrong when I first saw my piggie pee cloudy white too. lol

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
She could be coming into heat. Normally the mucus plus dissolves but not always and what was left of it could have expelled. Nothing to worry about.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.