Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Vegetables mushrooms and white potatoes a good choice?

crazychic

Cavy Slave
I was just given a list of veggies/fruits from a vet for guinea pigs and it listed mushrooms and white potatoes as good options for guinea pigs. Do you feed these to your pigs? If so, in what kind of quantity? I had heard before that guinea pigs should not eat potatoes.

AnimalHouse36

Cavy Slave
I think patatoes are ok to feed as long as they're peeled? DOn't take my word for it though. Mushrooms I know you shouldn't feed.

PrayerWarrior

Cavy Slave
Actually, I think the peel is the only thing that's okay for them to eat, but it's such a risk, just don't do it. Potatoes themselves and mushrooms are poisonous.

PixieStix

Cavy Slave
Don't give the pigs either. Parts of the potato are poisanous and there are different opinions, but it's much safer to not feed any potato at all. Have a look at Ly's charts at the top of this forum (as a sticky, Everything you Need to Know about your Cavies' Diet) for many safe fruits and veggies and frequency of feeding.

Is this vet cavy knowledgeable? I'd be very careful about someone saying to feed these veggies to be treating my pigs.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I'd get a new vet. Potatoes are poisonous (especially the peel part if it's green or sprouted) and mushrooms are a fungus, I don't believe mushrooms are poisonous to pigs but since they are herbivores, they don't eat fungi.

If you look on the second post on the Nutrition charts thread, you can see they are on the do not feed list.

Do NOT feed avocados, coconut (both too high in fats), iceburg lettuce (low nutrition, high in nitrites, high water), tomato stems or leaves, potatoes, rhubarb, taro, mushrooms, peanut butter, hot peppers, hot herbs and spices, dry beans and peas, nuts, jams, jellies, fruit preserves, sweetened fruit juices, pickled vegetables, coffee, cola, milk or dairy products to include yogurt, cake, cookies, baked goods, fried, frozen or cooked foods.

PrayerWarrior

Cavy Slave
I don't believe mushrooms are poisonous to pigs but since they are herbivores, they don't eat fungi.

Oh. I read somewhere they were.

crazychic

Cavy Slave
Thanks for the replies. This is a new vet for me and actually the second new vet that I have had to take my pig too. It seems like I have to take him to her bc noone else will even see him............WE NEED MORE EXOTIC VETERINARIANS!!!!!! :(

makemesmile

Cavy Slave
...cake, cookies, baked goods, fried, frozen or cooked foods.

Baked goods! Why would someone try to feed their piggies baked goods? That made me giggle.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
You'd be surprised at what some people feed their pigs. I've heard of people giving sows bread dipped in olive oil which is a no no. I've heard of others feeding things like cheetos, cheerios, cookies, donuts, crackers, etc.

adayinourlife

Cavy Slave
If you have a piggie that isn't drinking water, one piece of iceburg mixed with romaine be a good option to be sure they are getting enough water in their system?

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
No. You can wet better veggies for them, feed a small bite of cucumber or gently syringe water to them.

Iceberg can make them sick.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.