Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Ratties Ferret Nation

Cavy Carnage

Cavy Slave
I have the chance to get a ferret nation ( the model 142) for $150 but I have a few questions. Firstly I have two female rats, one is on the small side and previous cages i have bought she squeezed out. That was when the bars where an inch apart horizontally. Is their a possibility she will be able to get out? Also its been used for a chinchilla before, now I will ask before we go see it if its been chewed but is it hard for the cage to be chewed?

I really want this to be the last cage we buy as I am going to have to persuade my husband to spend the money when we really are having to make major cut backs already on other stuff. I am not sure he would see the point in buying it then having to rat proof it. The cages we have now are not very easy to clean/ one rather small and not very attractive to look at but considering he really doesn't like them he probably won't feel like it's worth it when the cages they are in now are suitable but not practical and well not the best:(

Jennicat

Cavy Slave
Very small females have been known to squeeze out of the Ferret Nation. There's a similar cage, the Feisty Ferret, which has smaller bar spacing and a similar setup, although the materials used are a bit cheaper.

If you decide to go with the FN, I'd buy it from www.ferret.com, it's $150 there with $7 shipping and you won't have to worry about it being chewed on. The Feisty Ferret is around $125 at the same spot with $7 shipping as well. :)

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
Female rats can sometimes squeeeze out of the FN; However, you can modify it with hardward cloth.

FF cages are actually not 1/2in bar spacings. I have 2 FNs and 1 FF and the FF spacings are nearer to 3/4in.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
I have an FN and a smaller sized female rat. She can't get out of the bars. She's about 3/4 of the size of my rattie Grey. How small of a girl are we talking about?

Cavy Carnage

Cavy Slave
Well she is probably about the size of a 6 month old I would guess. She has no fat on her so is quite slinky. My husband has said that its up to me to decide. I would like to get this rather than a new FN 141 because it's double the size and I want them to have as much space as possible. I don't think the chew marks aren't anything fleece/ carefresh can't cover.

Ly&Pigs

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator
Cavy Slave
You can always wrap it in mesh or hardware cloth until she gets bigger. I'd go for it. It's a great cage and I wouldn't trade mine for anything. I just wish I had room for a 2nd one that way the girls could have one and the boys could have one.

I just have 2 girlies now and 3 boys. My oldest girl passed away a couple weeks ago.

Cavy Carnage

Cavy Slave
Thanks guys for the help. I am sorry about your girl LY. I am buying the cage if all goes well (I am trying not to get my hopes up). Now I just need to buy lots of things to fill it. I am going to look around the dollar store etc for some cheap ideas as buying the cage means no extra money for anything really.

Cavy Carnage

Cavy Slave
I am so excited, my husband is picking the cage up tomorrow. I have ordered a few things from ferret.com and going to a few cheap stores tonight. I am still in need of a couple of wheels, does anyone know who have the cheapest. I would love wobust wodent wheel or silent spinner. Any other toy ideas would be good too.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.