Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Reference ALERT! New Target grids are dangerous!

starshine123102

Cavy Slave
I need to double check on the cube size but we just bought ours at Target last month. I have three girl guineas and they are pretty small but the coroplast goes 6 inches up on each side. Is it even possible for the pigs to get up that high and then stick their heads in the holes?

Yes when my pig put her feet on the coro edge she can stretch so her nose is about 1/4 inch below the top of the grids. I say better safe than sorry.

The photo I added is her stretching up, but she can reach even higher than what you see here. She also has the tendency to stand up like this and start gnawing on the bars when she wants to get out of floor time and go back home.

Last edited:

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
6 inches is the standard size. You should still baby proof.

LouieH

Cavy Slave
The Target by us (in Apex, NC) had their cubes on sale today. Only the "chrome" (really epoxy-coated steel - just fine for cavies) ones were 9x9.

The white and black ones... UNSAFE... were $17.
The chrome ones... SAFE... were $22.

I'm thinking they probably move the chrome ones slower since they cost $5 more. That would mean they've retained more of the old stock. We're building our first cage and my daughter wanted shiny ones anyway, so I snagged a box after opening it up and verifying the contents.

Froggirl009

Cavy Slave
*sigh* I got the bad grids before i read this and i already used the box so i cannot return them.

ptbruiser

Cavy Slave
When I bought my grids I didn't know about the size difference. But when I put my coroplast in, it is very high on the sides that have the larger holes. So my piggies are safe. Now that I have seen the difference and read about it, I know better. At least I have what I bought safe. Thanks to you all for all of your great advice!
I just love reading everything I can about piggies and their families!

Ilovemypiggies1

Cavy Slave
I was going to go to Target but then i saw this and decided not to get the cubes from there. I decided to go to Bed, bath and beyond and they have 1 set left which was the display...i asked to see if there was a discount since the cubes were a display model and i got it 10% off so i got the grids for only $11-$12. The grids i got are 9 x 9..

seredman

Cavy Slave
I saw the new Target grids when I went last week to buy some. Luckily they had the crome ones that were "safe" but I wondered if you could use the others if you put the ones with the larger holes on the bottom of the cage Floor suppot gor a fully enclosed cage) or if you used them as the lid?? If you were using them as floor support wouldn't the coloplast be covering them anyway??
Wasn't sure.

ptbruiser

Cavy Slave
I saw the new Target grids when I went last week to buy some. Luckily they had the crome ones that were "safe" but I wondered if you could use the others if you put the ones with the larger holes on the bottom of the cage Floor suppot gor a fully enclosed cage) or if you used them as the lid?? If you were using them as floor support wouldn't the coloplast be covering them anyway??
Wasn't sure.

Yes, you can use the larger holed grids for the bottom with the coroplast on top of them. Or as a top for the cage it should be fine too. I used one of them for the side, but my coroplast is really high on that side, so they can't get over it and go through the grid.

BubuCandyBlue

Cavy Slave
Wasn't sure.
Yes you can, as ptbruiser says. I had a box from Target with large grids and and it was too late to return it. I used it for the bottom of the cage (coroplast on it) and for the support of the cage (I have storage space under the cage).

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.