Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register
  • ONE THREAD per pig please!
    We really want your pig's history all in one place to help you. Please don't start a new thread for a new issue. Just reply to your old one. We can edit the title for you if needed.

Urgent

Sugar

Cavy Slave
Hi everyone,

My good friend has a guinea pig who is pregnant and expected to deliver sometime this week. My friend found things she described as 'fetuses' in her guinea pig's cage as well as blood. Her guinea pig is alive, but it is just laying in its age at the moment, she isn't sure what to do. She cannot take her guinea pig to the vet yet, because her mum isn't home at the moment.

Please don't start abusing me or my friend for having a guinea pig pregnant, you don't know the circumstances. This is an emergancy, the reason I haven't posted on Guinea Lynx is because it isn't letting me sign up with my email address and I do not have another one.

Please help ...

auburnmare5

Cavy Slave
Maybe you can take her to her vet. Have her leave a note or call her mom explaining what is happeneing; and taker her to her vet.
Good Luck!

clotho

Cavy Slave
I hope you have found a way to get that poor guinea pig to a vet!!! She needs vet care immediately. The babies are obviously stillborn and there could be a fetus still inside her. If she is just lying around and being lethargic, there is something seriously wrong and she needs a vet NOW. If you haven't gone already - find a way to get her to one somehow!!

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
Sorry but there isn't any advice we can give you. It sounds like the pig aborted the fetuses or went into premature labor. It may still have a fetus inside or be suffering from infection if a baby died inside the womb.

Only a vet can help. I hope your friend manages to get her to a vet quickly.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Ditto voodoo.

You need to take her to a good vet and see if she has retained any fetuses.

Is she alert?

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
Whatever the circumstances, I don't care. The pig has to go to the vet NOW. (Well, twelve hours ago, now.) She miscarried and she could have a fetus still inside her, or she could be suffering from pregnancy toxemia.

Sugar

Cavy Slave
My friend managed to get her guinea pig to the vet in the end and by the time she got her there, the vet said there were no more babies left inside her. My friend's guinea pig is fine now and she won't be breeding that guinea pig or any other guinea pigs ever again, she realised its just not worth risking the guinea pig's health. Thanks for the replies :)

salana

Lethal Guru
Cavy Slave
She should keep an eye on her pig's weight (weigh her every day, at the same time) for the next two weeks as a precaution.

It's a rough lesson to have to learn, but at least the pig looks like she's pulling through.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.