Thanks
    Thanks
    38 Rec'd/24 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

How can you tell a Satin?

At our last piggie check up, the vet said that Smarkey had the glossiest coat she had ever seen. The children took this to mean that we have a very discerning and wise vet and I mentally thought "I bet you say that to all the pigs". But now that I'm back home I keep worrying that the glossy coat might mean she is a Satin.

Smarkey has never had any health problems. Am I just being neurotic? Is there anything else I should be checking for?

Thanks
    Thanks
    123 Rec'd/75 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: How can you tell a Satin?

Pretty much all I know about satins is the hair/fur should be silky smooth and fairly glossy. Not quite sure of what other things could determione whether or not it is a satin.

Thanks
    Thanks
    99 Rec'd/76 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Satin's are verrrry glossy. You can compare your piggie to these pics to see if there are any similarities Flickr: Search bivoir - away in Europe!'s photostream

Thanks
    Thanks
    86 Rec'd/66 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Satin's are usually easy to tell if you've seen one or a picture. Someone on GL says they 'look like they swallowed a flashlight'. They really do glow, especially around their nose. I was worried for a while there that my TSW (but mainly black) American was a satin because she is glossy and quite shiny, but I've quit worrying since she doesn't really 'glow' if that makes sense.

Look at the satins on these links Guinea Lynx :: Guinea Pig Coat Types and Guinea Lynx :: Topic - What Kind of a Guinea Pig is That? (Breeds and Varieties). Does your pig look anything like them?
    Last edited by PixieStix; 07-16-08 at 02:23 pm. Reason: adding links

Thanks
    Thanks
    141 Rec'd/90 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I think short of genetic testing there's nothing you can really be doing. And I don't know that the conditions satins are predisposed to are actually preventable in the first place. I have a satin and there's nothing wrong with her, so even if your pig is a satin you aren't doomed!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    38 Rec'd/24 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

She doesn't actually glow in the way that some of the pigs in those pictures do. She does look a bit like some of the less glowing ones in those links but I think that flash photography will affect the appearance of the pigs in those photos. I think she is just healthy and glossy.

I know that, even if she were a satin, the potential problems couldn't be prevented. I think I am just a worrier by nature! (The first time I read about roans I started to worry that our silver agouti was a roan, then realised that as we're never going to breed it doesn't affect us)

User Tag List