Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Hi, I'm new...and so are my pigs!

Michellec

Cavy Slave
Hey everyone,

Been enjoying reading your forum for the past few weeks. You helped me decide to definitely get pigs for my family for Xmas!

I picked them up today, two 11 week old girls. They are in my room for now, until I can put them in their regular spot, once the kids go to bed.

I'm dying to hold them and play with them, but I'm letting them have some queit time for now. Do you think it'll be okay if I give them some floor tonight? Also, I read somewhere that I shouldn't put a hiding house in there at first, since they'll probably just stay in there and not move around and get used to the cage. ????? Any opinions on this and on how to give the pigs a proper "homecoming" in general?

Thanks!!

Michelle

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
It is cruel to the animal to not put a hidey house in the cage. Either way, even if you don't put the house in, the pig is just going to stay still. I would give it a couple of hours. All ne pigs are a little frightened at first, but they warm up. Also, I would wait a day or two to let them get used to you and your cage before putting them in floor time, to try and cause them as little stress as possible. Good luck with your new pigs! Do you know what breed they are? Or their names?

Michellec

Cavy Slave
Thanks. Common sense told me it's be good for them to have a safe, quiet place. Glad you confirmed it.

So, can I hold them tonight? Or should I just let them hang in the cage? (I sooooo much want to cuddle them!)

What's a favorite treat that I can "bribe" them with as I hold them?

They are Abyssinian, awesome "hair-do's"! And, no names yet, we'll choose as as family tomorrow.

Thanks, again, doc!

M

cornhill

Cavy Slave
Michellec said:
Hey everyone,

Been enjoying reading your forum for the past few weeks. You helped me decide to definitely get pigs for my family for Xmas!

I picked them up today, two 11 week old girls. They are in my room for now, until I can put them in their regular spot, once the kids go to bed.

I'm dying to hold them and play with them, but I'm letting them have some queit time for now. Do you think it'll be okay if I give them some floor tonight? Also, I read somewhere that I shouldn't put a hiding house in there at first, since they'll probably just stay in there and not move around and get used to the cage. ????? Any opinions on this and on how to give the pigs a proper "homecoming" in general?

Thanks!!

Michelle
I would let them have their hidey houses and plenty of Alfalfa Timothy hay & Oxbow Cavy Performance (til they are about 6 months old) right from the git go. I also would make sure they get some fresh veggies daily and NO Vit-c drops in their water. If anyone disagrees with me, I'm sure they will let me know. Good luck and give them lots of love.

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
How long have they been in their cage? I broke the rules and instead of leaving my new pig in his cage over night, I let him sit there for about three hours and then I held him. I was very bad. I would give it a few hours to let them adjust, and then hold them. But I broke the rules, so you might want a second opinioN!

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
i play with my new pigs as soon as they get home they seem to like having attention and love!

Katie

Cavy Slave
It is cruel to the animal to not put a hidey house in the cage.
I have to disagree. I find my cavies become much more socialized and friendlier without their houses in their cage 24/7 then those that do. Our cavies only get a house at night, and even then they never lay inside.

We have 3 cavies that always had a house. They always stayed inside of it and never came out except when we weren't around. We took the houses away from them, they couldn't run and hide, they got used to us coming and going and now they come up to the side of the cages to be pet.

To the OP-

Make sure they are the SAME SEX. Where did you get them from? How old are they? Give them plenty of hay to eat and play in, give them pellets and start introducing them to vegetables.

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
mine don't have houses but they have clothe things to lay on or next to or under, also with two levels they can hide under the second one

DocDolittle

Cavy Slave
I believe that not having a house simply causes the animal more stress. Guinea pig's only defense is run and hide, so where can they possibly use there defense mechanism without the house? If you want, you can simply not use hidey houses. Many people do it that way. that's just not what i think is right. My Cocoa has a hidey house in his cage 24/7 and I can walk past his cage anyday and he'll come up to investigate, or be eating or lounging. He never runs into his house now. Yes, he sometimes does rest in it because my brother is a moron who keeps the TV volume up all day. But he does come out for people he knows.

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
You can use other things besides a house i use pvc piping towels a little futon thing the can play on or under

My Baby Mu

Cavy Slave
I put hidey houses in floor time. I don't put them in the cage because he is potty training.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.