Thanks
    Thanks
    8 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Question Grease Gland

Both my adult boys have a little issue. When I adopted them i was instructed to keep the grease gland clean and i could do so with dawn dish soap. i have done that religously whenever they get gross but lately i have noticed my boys tucking their buts underneath them and wiping it along the ground. I Can't tell what they are wiping exactly, whether it is the grease gland or something else. Any ideas as to what this may mean?
    Thanks

Blog Entries
    Thanks
    Thanks
    167 Rec'd/116 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Grease Gland

Guinea Lynx :: Grooming

THere's a section near the middle about grease glands. I hope it answers your question. ;)

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    1,146 Rec'd/634 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

They are marking their territory. That's where their scent glands are.

4. "Thank you, rabbitsncavyluv, for this useful post," says:

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    8 Rec'd/4 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

So now, the updated news is that Oscar who is a white/creme colored somewhat long haired pig has a in issue involving his grease gland area. I gave him a bath today as his grease gland was dirty and his hair was grungy. Hours after the bath I noticed his behind was wet already! The hair is yellow and I can't clean his grease gland very well because he hates being in the water. I am wondering if he might have an infection, I have looked online but had no luck as to what an infection might look like. If anyone has any advice as to what this may mean or what I should do I would greatly appreciate it.
    We do have a guinea pig vet clinic near by and it is open tomorrow if I need to take him in.
    Thank you all so much, I really appreciate all the information this site provides!

Cavy Slave
    Thanks
    Thanks
    172 Rec'd/140 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

As far as cleaning his gland without water, I put a drop or two of grapeseed oil on the spot, message it in for a minute and use a flea comb to comb out the gunk and then I "buff their butts." We just have a grand time, but it keeps them clean, as they don't like water either. Grapeseed oil is light, no odor and doesn't leave a film on the skin. Great stuff!

User Tag List