Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

2 Ferret Nations = Guinea pig cage?

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
I have a Ferret Nation (double level) for my ratties. It is the easiest and most amazing thing to clean.

Now onto my question..

What do you guys think about 2 double levels combined as a pig cage? The dimentions would be 25in x 72in. That is 12.5sqft. It would be 2 complete levels of that which is 25sqft not counting the mini levels. I realize that 'only the main level counts' but my pigs get along really well anyhow. The girls would def. travel to each level. Divinci would stay on whichever I put him on.

Im open to suggestions :)

bigfndecorated.JPG

EDIT: Oh, and of course I would modify the shelves and ramps so they are piggy safe.

Toadies

Cavy Slave
They are beautiful cages. The inside demensions are 22.5 x 34.75 for the single unit. Is there some way to connect the units so that they are 4 units square? Like leave the backs off of the 4 units, put the doors facing outward? Then the inside demensions would be 45 x 70 -71 and all one level. Make sense? Just a thought.

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
Probably, but the main reason I am doing it is for space. My room is so very, very small. I have my bed, dresser, tv stand, bookshelfs, and the cage all in it. I really need something that is narrower that what I have now (42in) and easier to clean.

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
The Houston Rat Rescue is going to take my old cage. I am going to go after work to see if I can get the cages (Im at work now- I get off in an hour). I will be sure to post pics before, during, and after.

Oh, and I measured the inside and its almost exactly 25in (?) Maybe I measured wrong.

ETA: Since its going to be about $300, Its going to be my birthday present to myself (My birthday is in 3 days!)

Harrys Dad

Cavy Slave
ETA: Since its going to be about $300, Its going to be my birthday present to myself (My birthday is in 3 days!)

Wow what a present! Let me give you my birthday date and you can buy me something too! :crackup:

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
Aha. If I had the extra cash I would send all my GPC friends a birthday present. Or.. make a donation for them ;)

The store didn't have them so I am going to have to try another tomorrow.

piggly wiggly

Cavy Slave
I love your cage, it looks so fun.

JennG

Cavy Slave
Hey wicked! I didn't know if you bought the Ferret Nation cages but I have built two cages for my piggies from Lowe's shelving unit. It's cheaper and it's pretty big.

This is my cage (w/ 10piggies in it which is pushing it a bit on space but they all get along). I had to cut a hole in one of the boards to attach a ramp to the 2nd level. They have access to both levels.

And here's my foster cage. I have 2 piggies on each level.

I hope these help. I know I got this idea from someone else on here w/ a rescue. I like them because they're alot more stable. Good luck.

Harrys Dad

Cavy Slave
I'm working on making my 1 level into a 3 level 2 x 4 and hopefully going to add a new male to my Harry this weekend

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
Thanks Jenn but I just got back from buying the cages. I really don't mind spending the money on something that is going to last a long time and be really easy to clean.

Im almost finished putting the 1st one together.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
I think the space is fine for your pigs, Wicked. Especially since they will travel between the levels. I think they're lucky piggies indeed!

You will be posting pictures of the finished "product," yes? :)

Happy decorating!

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
Whew, Im tired. I just spend like.. 4 hours straight putting the cage together. I will NOT follow the instructions next time. My ratties cage (also a FN) took me less than an hour (even though I messed up a few times). Dang instructions make it impossible for a single person to put the cage together.

So.. 1 Fn down, 1 to go.

Sadly, I have to work 12-5 tomorrow but I am going to do the 2nd one when I get home (assuming we aren't going to eat or something). Speaking of eating, I should probably eat dinner. Its 11:30.

I do have in-between pics..

DoubleFN003.jpg

Here is what it should look like finished:

doubleFn.jpg

Oh, and I didn't measure the width wrong.. My 23in pans (litterboxes) fit width wise in the cage.. Weird. Perhaps Midwest is giving out cages with mixed dimentions? :crazy:

JennG

Cavy Slave
Ooo, wicked! Nice job! I love that it's on wheels. I put my cages on those slider thingys for furniture which has helped tremendously. I can get behind it to clean up the hay. I like the stability as well. Can't wait to see the finished product.

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
30mins and I get to go home and finish it (Im at work and anxiously counting down the minutes). I will be sure to post loads more pics!

JennG

Cavy Slave
Well, it's almost 7:30pm Central time, are ya finished? ;) I'm sure you're working hard on it. I know once I get started, I hate to stop and want to get it finished.

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
Unfortunatly my grandfather refuses to cut the sides tonight so I have to wait until the morning. I couldn't even guilt-trip him with the: "But graaannndppa.. its going to my birthday tomorrow".

So.. its put together but still needs to be cut and bolted together.

Currently:

DoubleFN007.jpg

JennG

Cavy Slave
That's cool! I can't wait to see the finished product. Great job!

hairlikeafox

Cavy Slave
First off. I completely in love with your rat cage. Brilliant!

Secondly, Im new to the site and I was wondering how many piggies you have that get the fancy new FN Piggy-Condo lol

And judging by the dates, its your birthday.... HAPPY BIRTHDAY!! Now go eat cake :)

JennG

Cavy Slave
Happy Birthday wicked! Hoping that it's a good one.

wickedrodent

Cavy Slave
Thank you both. :)

Its for 4 piggers.

As of now.. the sides have been sawed so they are open in the middle. My grandpa has to go tomorrow and buy bolts so we can connect them. I am going to test it out with fleece and such and take pictures tonight, if I can.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.