Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cleaning out the anal sac

• Thread starter guineapigluver1
  • Start date

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
Okay, the pigs I want to adopt after we move are unaltered boars (so are the other pair just in case the others get adopted before I can) and I have read how to do this, but I really don't get how to do it still. It's like I really can't do much of anything without being physically shown how to do it.

And also where do you get mineral oil?

bamby71994

Cavy Slave
You can buy mineral oil from pretty much any store. You get a Q-tip and tip it in the mineral oil. Then you swap they're rump. It is a bit easier with two people instead of one.

Newpiggiemom

Cavy Slave
It's kind of like how you would clean your ears. You want to be slow and gentle but do the job. Remember where you are and don't jab. I think it hurts my husband more than it bothers the pigs when I do it. He thinks I'm crazy. I've only done it a couple of times for good measure.

Ziggy&Herald

Cavy Slave
I'm sure you have read this before but just in case you haven't here are some links. The first has many pictures, the other's just describe the process.
Guinea Lynx :: Impaction
(broken link removed)
(broken link removed)
Hope they help some.

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
Yeah, I read the first two links, I just read the third and that helped me a bunch! Thanks! Would the rescue show me how to do it if I asked?

Ziggy&Herald

Cavy Slave
I'm sure they have a boar there that may have impaction problems that they could demonstrate to you. If not they could always just show you the technique used. Maybe that would help as well.

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
I'm going to end up asking if they can show me how to do it, because I don't want to do it wrong and hurt them.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Mineral oil is sold where other laxatives are sold in any pharmacy type area of most stores. Just FYI.

And as for cleaning your boys, I had the same problem - not wanting to hurt them, etc., but once I flipped them over and actually looked at them and their, eh, parts, it was pretty clear what to do and where. Maybe just examine them?

I know I personally was afraid they would feel violated but mine at least tolerated it pretty well and as far as I know none of them are seeking any kind of therapy. lol

LoveCutePiggies

Cavy Slave
... What is a boar?

babyboo

Cavy Slave
A boar is a male guinea pig, LoveCutePiggies

fourboys4now

Cavy Slave
I have 7 boys myself and it's not the most pleasant experience for me or for them, but after I had done it a couple of times, it's really not that bad. One of my boys has impactions so he gets cleaned out pretty regular, the others only once a month or so. Just take your time, be gentle and you will do just fine.

pigsmakemesmile

Cavy Slave
Hi, I have 6 boys and had no clue about piggy anatomy especially their privy's so I went to guinea lynx to learn more about this "area" and learned how to address it. Wasn't bad at all. Was just gentle and made sure I had plenty of qtips. Some of my pigs need to be cleaned a little more often than others. I always check for shavings and things. Only takes a few minutes to do. Smells a little skunky. The boys don't seem to mind it and actually appeared relaxed. Not to get too much off the subject but being I'm in the same area, I also clean their thingy's. Too often they get shavings caught in there. My peruvian always manages to get hair tangled and wrapped around it. Unfortunately for him it has to be removed to prevent a bigger problem later.

LoveCutePiggies

Cavy Slave
Oh, sorry... I'm new to the cavy world.

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
That's okay. Just so you know a sow is a female guinea pig.

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
This doesn't have anything to do with what I asked, but I didn't want to start a new thread so...
I am still debating on whether when I adopt to have them in my room, or in the living room, mind you I have seven siblings, 2 older and 5 younger, and it's pretty noisy, so I'm not sure if I want them in the living room.

Ziggy&Herald

Cavy Slave
If you are worried about it being too noisy or maybe your younger siblings harassing the pigs, I would definitely put them in the bedroom. Having said that, some pigs do just fine in noisy situations once they become accustomed to it. From what I hear, sometimes it helps them overcome some fear of people. But go with your gut, you know the best situation in your family.

bamby71994

Cavy Slave
I clean my boys about every week! I didn't know you are supposed to clean everything out. I only knew of their rum, if you get what I mean!

Luvmyboarz

Cavy Slave
I've gotten pretty experienced cleaning out all 3 of my boys myself,altho' I know they hate it! I always feel so guilty afterward and apologize to them with veggie or fruit treats!

fourboys4now

Cavy Slave
About the pigs being in living room or bedroom. I have 2 dogs who play like kids, they run around play wrestling and barking and growling. Plus my 4 year old daughter chasing them like a banchee. Mine have got used to our usual chaos around here. Pluse the tv is usually on kind of loud. I think you would just have to worry if little hands were constantly bothering them.

Karsluma

Cavy Slave
How often do you do this "cleaning out" - regularly after a certain age or just if they need it?

My newest piggie is over a year old, but the other two are about 5 months old and are so small compared to the big one.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.