Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Plastic Storage Totes?

GuineaWolf

Cavy Slave
I read on xxx that large Plastic Storage Totes are fine for guinea pigs. Is this true? If so it would make getting/making a cage alot easier.

Last edited by a moderator:

Cavy Carnage

Cavy Slave
Having read through it I am appalled at some of the information given. I would not believe anything you have read on that site, storage totes are NOT a good idea for guinea pigs, for one because they aren't big enough to meet even the minimum requirements, secondly the ventilation, even with a wire lid fixed to the top its not open enough to let enough air circulate. I would just stick with C&C cages. Once you have the grids and choroplast it is easy to put together, or you could just purchase one off ebay or the link to the shop at the top.

piggly wiggly

Cavy Slave
I only read the first two paragrahs, and clicked off of it. What horrid information.
Deffinately do not use a plastic storage container. Cages suggested here are much cheaper to make, and are so much better for your piggies. If you look in the gallery of alot of peoples cages on here, you will see many different ways to make your cage, and they are fun to make.

Ziggy&Herald

Cavy Slave
I took that as breeder talk to another breeder. We all know breeders don't keep the cavy in mind when considering housing. Just how many cages they can have and how cheap they can have them. I would also stick with c&c cages. They are well worth the expense paid to build them.

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Plastic storage totes fall into the category of "before I knew better" and I would only consider putting my pigs in one in an emergency evacuation type situation and I had nothing else for them.

If you are overwhelmed by the idea of making a cage I totally understand, I have been too but it is so worth the extra time and effort! And if you are having trouble finding materials, this site has some amazing resources and really shows you how to get creative if you seem to be out of options. :)

ali's_pigs123

Cavy Slave
I got not even 1/3 of the way down and I was flaberghasted at some of the info provided. The plastic container, horrid.
Has that person every heard of a C+C Cage?? They don't cost $75. C+C Cages are perfect for pigs, not something that is still too small, and is very bad, while it is still almost the same price!
The thing that is really irritating is the fact that they say to use plastic containers, but they trun around and say it can cause health problems. So why are they still using them if they know how bad they are?
STACKING THE CAGES?
They even say they are good for breeders to expand their herd!
Ugh!

cavyinhawaii

Cavy Slave
My grids were 15.00 and the coroplast 15.00 so for 30.00 I got a really nice, really big cage. It took me about an hour to put it together.I could have done it faster if I wasn't nervous about measuring the coroplast. Don't be fooled by that site to think a plastic tub is ok. Pigs need space to run and circulation. The tubs don't provide what they need.

krittercrazy

Cavy Slave
Yet another example of lack of care from breeders. Storing guinea pigs like excess junk. When I worked at the SPCA, people would bring in animals in totes. The tote would reek of urine and feces (the plastic soaked in the odor, so even if clean still smells). The animals were generally over heated. It is animal cruelty. Why use anything like this when cavy cages are available. It is even worse than store bought cages! Ugh!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.