Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

What if I keep the babies?

VoodooJoint

Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator!
Cavy Slave
I'm creating a sticky reference thread of this post by VJ from this thread: https://www.guineapigcages.com/forum/kitchen/35662-what-if-i-keep-babies.html.

I think most of us would agree it's a great summary of information.
Teresa
Albinism is NOT a breed, it is a birth defect that causes there to be no color pigments in an animal.
Not quite. It's cause by recessive alleles. While albinism does exist what people are trying to make you understand is that it DOESN'T exist in Guinea pigs. It is impossible for it to exist in guinea pigs because they do not possess the particular alleles responsible for albinism. Therefore a pink eyed white guinea pig is just that, a-pink-eyed-white-guinea-pig NOT an albino.

There are certain animals that CANNOT create albinos. The closest thing they can produce is a "lethal". When the "improper" alleles (which would be normal, recessive alleles in other animals) meet they create a "lethal", a creature that is usually lacking in much pigmentation as well as also inheriting severe deformities. These can be anything from deafness (which is survivable) to severely deformed eyes, teeth, digestive tracts, limbs and so many other variables that it's impossible to list them. MOST of these deformities cannot be survived and usually lead to death soon after birth.

Those deformities CAN and DO exist in guinea pigs and I doubt you have even the slightest clue as to how to distinguish a potential cross that can create a lethal. Here's a clue. YOU HAVE NO IDEA! Since you do not know the genetic background of your guinea pig you would have no way of knowing if the cute little babies you want, and think your guinea pig wants, will come out to be malformed and suffering creatures that you, and your guinea pig, will have the infinite joy of watching slowly die. What FUN!!!

Honestly, if there was nearly as many piggs as there where dogs and cats ... but where I am there are none beeing put to sleep, or abused.
You have no idea. You are so very wrong. There are loads of guinea pigs being abused right now. Some are probably within a few blocks from you. Do you want to know why you aren't seeing as many in your local rescues (although I doubt you really looked all that hard) it's because most people either allow the guinea pig to slowly die of neglect and poor care in some basement, garage or outdoor cage. Most of those came from the petstores where they were bought as a "child's pet", or as an impulse purchase. Once the newness wears off they are forgotten about and allowed to die in filth.

Do you want to know another reason why you aren't seeing as many in rescues? It's because many people set their guinea pigs "free" when they don't want them anymore. They let them go in parks, golfcourses, forests and sometimes just their backyards to fend for themselves. They usually know, but simply don't care that they can't survive. As long as they are gone it's no longer their problem.

Do you know that the SPCA believes is the #1 abandoned (set free) animal is? It's not the cat, it's not even the dog, they believe it's the rabbit. Unfortunately, unlike dogs and cats, so few survive their release for long that it's hard to pinpoint. Do you honestly think guinea pigs are being treated any better?

So sure, go ahead and breed, breed BREEEEED and feel free to ignore the craigslist and newspaper ads full of people looking to dump their pets. If you have filled up your home with cutie wootie little babies and can't take them in then I'm certain it won't bother you to know that it's very likely the owners will just set it free to live a natural and long life in the wilderness like nature intended (are you catching my sarcasm?) or maybe they will just give it to a reptile owner as food.

Oh well, what do you care, right?

I'm just saying they breed to survive, so doesn't that mean they want to breed
Their instinct tell them to breed to reproduce their numbers so that they don't die out. Guess what? There is no reason when they are in safe captivity and under your protection for them to breed. Their instincts are false and they do not have the full understanding of what reproduction is. Their mating runs on hormones and circumstance NOT on some sort of romantic notion. You cannot humanize them to that extent. NO animal desires to be a mother or a father. You can see that everyday in the millions of happy, healthy and well adjusted spayed and neutered animals.

YOU may desire to have cutie wootie babies but your guinea pig does not. Your pig wants a large comfortable home, interesting things to do and explore, healthy and varied food, water and preferably companionship. It is not thinking, "oh, I have nearly everything in life, now if only I had a baby". That sort of thinking is something that only humans, and perhaps some higher primates and sea mammals, are capable of. It's not the guinea pig that wants babies, it's you. If you want a baby so bad then why don't YOU have one? Endanger your life, health and future, NOT your pet's. You are the one that compared their "desire" for children to the human desire. If that's true and both are equal then you have the baby. That animal is not your toy.

If you still want to do this thing then no one can stop you. You have been given reasons not to and appraised of the facts. You can act compassionately and maturely or selfishly and childishly. Take your pick.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mumu is my pig

Cavy Slave
Yes, i quite, quite, quite agree.
Also, do you know that the Humane Society dosent rescue guinea pigs anymore?
Its sad.

Arizonapiggies

Cavy Slave
I would never recommend breeding pet animals or without the proper knowledge of genetics, but if no one ever bred an animal then you wouldn't have any to adopt. There is a place for breeders in this world even if you don't want to admit it and no responsible breeder would ever refuse to take back an unwanted animal. I bred dals and roans for many years and I never had a problem taking back and rehoming unwanted animals. Infact, I turned into the defacto rescue of my community. I have also never had a lethal white(due to responsible breeding practices). Breeders(responsible ones at least) strive not only to improve the standard of the animal, but the health and longevity as well. It is irresponsible breeders and people that want "babies" that cause the rescue situation. Please do not breed your pet cavies. Please.

Tandorla

Cavy Slave
"Their instinct tell them to breed to reproduce their numbers so that they don't die out. Guess what? There is no reason when they are in safe captivity and under your protection for them to breed. Their instincts are false and they do not have the full understanding of what reproduction is."

No, neither do teenagers. Humans are over populated did you know? Maybe you should consider the starving children, tell the farmers in third world countries that they are wrong to 'breed'.

Heres an idea - lets use guinea pigs as they have been used for so long - What do you want to do with people who eat them? Just as a matter of interest?

My word! What is wrong with you people?! Stop messing with nature - lonely guinea pigs are no good to anyone. Also, having your boar snipped is a highly stressful experience.

KEEP YOU OPINIONS TO YOURSELF IF YOUR ONLY GOING TO USE THEM TO HURT PEOPLE!

piggyluver1722

Cavy Slave
Yes, i quite, quite, quite agree.
Also, do you know that the Humane Society dosent rescue guinea pigs anymore?
Its sad.
Actually I have a couple around here and they all rescue guinea pigs.

rabbitsncavyluv

Cavy Slave
Wow.

"Their instinct tell them to breed to reproduce their numbers so that they don't die out. Guess what? There is no reason when they are in safe captivity and under your protection for them to breed. Their instincts are false and they do not have the full understanding of what reproduction is."

No, neither do teenagers. Humans are over populated did you know? Maybe you should consider the starving children, tell the farmers in third world countries that they are wrong to 'breed'.

Heres an idea - lets use guinea pigs as they have been used for so long - What do you want to do with people who eat them? Just as a matter of interest?

My word! What is wrong with you people?! Stop messing with nature - lonely guinea pigs are no good to anyone. Also, having your boar snipped is a highly stressful experience.

blackarrow

Cavy Slave

Well, that's the most nonsense I've seen in a single post in quite some time. No one suggested anyone "mess with nature" or that anything should be done to "people who eat them" or that people will have "lonely guinea pigs" or even that anyone should have their boar "snipped," so I don't know why you're carrying on that people are somehow being "hurt" by being told factual information. You know, like that it's absolutely possible for guinea pigs to live a long and rich and happy life with others of their own kind, but of the same sex.

(And yes, it would indeed be better if people who couldn't feed their children could also prevent bringing them into the world, but poverty often prevents good human birth control.)

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Why wouldn't you? The problem of overpopulation extends beyond just animals. I'm sure you're trying to make a point here, but sadly, you're failing miserably. All you're doing is stating the obvious. There are too many homeless animals in the world, yes. There are also too many homeless people, orphaned children, etc. How is your solution to either problem to breed guinea pigs and other animals? Are you saying that because there's a problem that exists with humans, somehow that makes it okay that we're perpetuating the problem with animals too?

Wow. Blackarrow certainly called it. This is absolute nonsense. I'm just gonna suggest this to you - just because you can get on a forum like this and post things that are ridiculous and senseless doesn't necessarily mean you should.

My word! What is wrong with you people?!
Strange. I was just wondering the same of you.

Stop messing with nature - lonely guinea pigs are no good to anyone.
Which is why you should adopt more than one of the same sex.

Also, having your boar snipped is a highly stressful experience.
It's less stressful than pregnancy on a female's body. That it's "nature" doesn't make it any less difficult or negate the risks.

I actually ask that you keep your opinions to yourself if they're entirely nonsensical and pointless.

Last edited:

gooberific

Cavy Slave
Why respond to such an old thread in the first place? It's not like this is the only thread with this very same "point." That's what got me rolling my eyes to start with. And now I shall leave with more eye rolling. :dontfeed:

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.