Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 81

Thread: What if I keep the babies?

  1. #21
    Cavy Slave ArtisticRainey's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 04, 2007
    Location
    Belfast, NI
    Posts
    183
    Thanks
    7
    Thanks
    74 Rec'd/27 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What if I keep the babies?

    No one has implied anything. Okay, good, you'll hand-feed your rejected babies. Responsible. Especially if the sow has died in birth. Having them in the first place is not responsible.

    Guinea pigs can feel every emothion we can!!

    Prove it.

    Also, in your profile you've stated that your pig has grey on its body. Therefore it has colour pigments. Therefore it's not an albino. It's chromosome, by the way.

  2. "Thank you, ArtisticRainey, for this useful post," says:


  3. #22
    Banned
    Joined
    Apr 19, 2008
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What if I keep the babies?

    When I first got her I thought that was her skin tone, after I gave her a bath I found out it was just grime from the pet store that was on her ears. So she does not have that on her ears. I need to edit my profile. Also, you can show different levels of albonism. How is it iresposible to breed my pig if there are no more adoptable pigs where I live. All the pigs at the adoption center in my town have aplications pending, which means they will get adopted.

  4. #23
    Banned
    Joined
    Apr 19, 2008
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What if I keep the babies?

    You are one of the people who think animals have no feelings. When my other pig died of old age, her buddy would not accept the new pig we brought home and he would look around the cage to try and find her. They can feel pain and sorrow, they have memories and feelings just like we do, besides, you have no proof that they don't have feelings!

  5. #24
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Aug 05, 2007
    Location
    Lauderhill, FL
    Posts
    110
    Thanks
    33
    Thanks
    37 Rec'd/25 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: What if I keep the babies?

    You are breeding them just because you want too? That is a backyard breeder anyway you put it. You are wrong about the overpopulation problem of guinea pigs not being as bad as dogs and cats. There is just as big of a problem with them. If there werent such a big overpopulation then why are there guinea pig only rescues that are consistently maxed out and cannot take another pig in?

    It doesnt matter if you keep the babies or not you are still contributing to the population. If you make more that is adding, it doesnt matter if you keep them or not. I kind of hope that your pig does have complications and then maybe you will realize that maybe you shouldnt have done it. But then again if you are a typical breeder YOU DONT CARE ABOUT THE PIG...only yourself.

    Please adopt more instead of making more. Subtraction is the best thing that can happen in the pet overpopulation right now. Obviously you will do whatever you want and that is called being selfish. I dare you to start a Guinea Pig Rescue and I GUARANTEE you will see what kind of overpopulation there really is! If you have never ran a rescue or been involved directly with a rescue, you do not understand.

  6. "Thank you, Henle15, for this useful post," says:


  7. #25
    Banned
    Joined
    Apr 19, 2008
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What if I keep the babies?

    Ok, whoever you are that just joined, read the rest of the posts. I am not a typical breeder and their are no pigs 4 adoption where I live, that proves there is not as much of an overpopulation. I love my pigs!

  8. #26
    Cavy Slave ArtisticRainey's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 04, 2007
    Location
    Belfast, NI
    Posts
    183
    Thanks
    7
    Thanks
    74 Rec'd/27 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What if I keep the babies?

    I'm an advocate of animal rights. This means that I believe that animals should in theory not be kept as pets. I have four guinea pigs and I'm pig-sitting a fifth at the moment. My first two were store bought pigs; the rest are rescues. If they all died sans one male and one female, and there were no guinea pigs left in the universe, I would still not breed those two in order to get more. Any animals I take into my care since the moment I realised pet stores, breeding etc were wrong are not pets; I am their guardian. And once there are no more animals that need guardians, I shall be happy.

    You cannot be so selfish as to create life just because you want it. Want another pig? Adopt. I don't care if there are none close by. If you want more pigs, travel to get them. I was willing to travel over 1000 miles in a round trip to make sure my pigs were re-homed in an appropriate way. Thankfully I found someone closer to take over their care once I'm no longer able.

    You rescued. Brilliant! I applaud you! Don't screw that nice thing up by breeding.

  9. "Thank you, ArtisticRainey, for this useful post," say these 6 members:


  10. #27
    Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator Ly&Pigs's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 05, 2004
    Location
    Mountain View, Arkansas
    Posts
    21,140
    Thanks
    299
    Thanks
    5,431 Rec'd/1,918 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: What if I keep the babies?

    What the heck kind of word is "iresposible". It's irresponsible. You may want to use spell check before hitting submit. Also the correct spelling for albonism is albinism and I even admit that I spelled it wrong earlier.

    But anyway, back to the subject at hand- It's irresponsible because you will be adding to the overpopulation problem. You don't want to breed to better the species, you just want to breed so you (and your friend?) can have more guinea pigs. Those are reasons that are pure selfishness. You could wait until more pigs are available in the shelters then adopt.

  11. "Thank you, Ly&Pigs, for this useful post," say these 3 members:


  12. #28
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Aug 05, 2007
    Location
    Lauderhill, FL
    Posts
    110
    Thanks
    33
    Thanks
    37 Rec'd/25 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: What if I keep the babies?

    Where do you live? I bet I can find a place close to you that has pigs

  13. "Thank you, Henle15, for this useful post," say these 3 members:


  14. #29
    Banned
    Joined
    Apr 19, 2008
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What if I keep the babies?

    OK, Artistic Rainey, ur crazy! I am a member of peta, and they even agree with having animals as pets! People only have kids because they want them, so wht don't you just go call your mother selfish?

  15. #30
    Pigaholic Extraordinaire Paula's Avatar
    Joined
    Jun 12, 2007
    Location
    PacNW
    Posts
    6,614
    Thanks
    782
    Thanks
    6,515 Rec'd/2,346 Posts
    Mentioned
    207 Post(s)
    Quoted
    314 Post(s)

    Re: What if I keep the babies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy4cavys View Post
    There is not an overpopulation of guinea pigs as bad as dogs and cats.
    So you intend to make it worse? Why would you choose to breed pigs when 1) you likely have no idea what you are doing and 2) there are so many homeless pigs already in the world - why create more that you may or may not be able to take care of?

    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy4cavys View Post
    I have researched breeding piggs, and I will keep all the babies. So why should people get mad at me for that? Why are people so fed up on this issue?? I am not trying to brak the rules or anything, but I am not going to be some backyard breeder anf I will take good care of the pigs and will keep them or give them to responsible friends. So whats the big deal??
    What about three or four years from now when all those cute little babies have grown up and your life circumstances change? What will you do then? Hope to find "responsible" friends?

    Please look around this site and at Guinea Lynx :: A Medical and Care Guide for Your Guinea Pig to see what the "big deal" is.

  16. "Thank you, Paula, for this useful post," say these 3 members:


  17. #31
    Cavy Slave ArtisticRainey's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 04, 2007
    Location
    Belfast, NI
    Posts
    183
    Thanks
    7
    Thanks
    74 Rec'd/27 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What if I keep the babies?

    Don't call me names. My mother had me because she made a conscious choice to have children. You would be forcing your pigs to breed.

    You may wish to stay on topic, my dear. We're speaking of why you should not breed, not why my mother shouldn't.

  18. "Thank you, ArtisticRainey, for this useful post," says:


  19. #32
    Banned
    Joined
    Apr 19, 2008
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What if I keep the babies?

    OK, I'm sorry about the text speak! It is a habbit I am trying to break, don't bann me, I don't even realize I am doing it.

  20. #33
    Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator Ly&Pigs's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 05, 2004
    Location
    Mountain View, Arkansas
    Posts
    21,140
    Thanks
    299
    Thanks
    5,431 Rec'd/1,918 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: What if I keep the babies?

    Then please slow down and look over your posts before submitting them. If you keep using chat speak, you will get more impactions. If you wish to avoid them then check your posts before you hit the button.

  21. #34
    Banned
    Joined
    Apr 19, 2008
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What if I keep the babies?

    Yes, and it is instinct for guinea pig to want to breed to keep the species gooing. Honestly, if there was nearly as many piggs as there where dogs and cats then there would be some up for adoption, there are less then 10 left in the adoption center where I am located, and they all have adoptions pending. Everyone has there own opinions on these things, I was asking one question and proving that your reasons for not breeding simply are not true, there is not very much of an over population of guinea pigs, maybe a small one, but where I am there are none beeing put to sleep, or abused. There is no reason for my pig not to have babies. I have done alot of research and an prepared for complications. It's just 1 litter for the experiance, its not going to hurt anything, the sow will have the best possible care wiht me. Just because you don't like my outlook on things does not mean I am not a responsible pig owner.

  22. #35
    Banned
    Joined
    Apr 19, 2008
    Posts
    22
    Thanks
    0
    Thanks
    2 Rec'd/2 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What if I keep the babies?

    I got to go, my mom is making me go to bed...

  23. #36
    Cavy Champion, Previous Forum Moderator Ly&Pigs's Avatar
    Joined
    Dec 05, 2004
    Location
    Mountain View, Arkansas
    Posts
    21,140
    Thanks
    299
    Thanks
    5,431 Rec'd/1,918 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: What if I keep the babies?

    Oh great, she a minor and wants to be a backyard breeder.

  24. "Thank you, Ly&Pigs, for this useful post," say these 3 members:


  25. #37
    Cavy Slave ArtisticRainey's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 04, 2007
    Location
    Belfast, NI
    Posts
    183
    Thanks
    7
    Thanks
    74 Rec'd/27 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What if I keep the babies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy4cavys View Post
    Everyone has there own opinions on these things, I was asking one question and proving that your reasons for not breeding simply are not true, there is not very much of an over population of guinea pigs, maybe a small one, but where I am there are none beeing put to sleep, or abused.
    So, you're basing your argument that there is only a very small guinea pig overpopulation issue on your own experience. You're going to ignore the experiences of hundreds if not thousands of other people around the world. You're going to ignore the hundreds if not thousands of guinea pigs waiting in rescues to be saved, or killed. Nice. I wish I could be so blind. Just because there perhaps are not as many guinea pigs in shelters as cats or dogs does not make the problem any less important.

    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy4cavys View Post
    There is no reason for my pig not to have babies. I have done alot of research and an prepared for complications. It's just 1 litter for the experiance, its not going to hurt anything, the sow will have the best possible care wiht me. Just because you don't like my outlook on things does not mean I am not a responsible pig owner.
    Have you understood any of the stuff that has been written regarding the health of the sow and the pups? Any of it? You are running the risk of harming innocent animal life. Even if, as you seem to believe, many pig pregnancies turn out just fine and everything is rosy with marshmallows and a cherry on top, there is still a CHANCE that an animal will get hurt. A human can understand that her pregnancy may take her life, and can act according to whatever her morals tell her. A pig cannot. She can't say, 'Please, don't risk my life because you want more guinea pigs.'

  26. "Thank you, ArtisticRainey, for this useful post," say these 2 members:


  27. #38
    Cavy Slave ArtisticRainey's Avatar
    Joined
    Nov 04, 2007
    Location
    Belfast, NI
    Posts
    183
    Thanks
    7
    Thanks
    74 Rec'd/27 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What if I keep the babies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Ly&Pigs View Post
    Oh great, she a minor and wants to be a backyard breeder.
    Well, there's time to chance. At least it explains a few things, anyway. I need a drink...

  28. "Thank you, ArtisticRainey, for this useful post," says:


  29. #39
    Cavy Slave
    Joined
    Aug 05, 2007
    Location
    Lauderhill, FL
    Posts
    110
    Thanks
    33
    Thanks
    37 Rec'd/25 Posts
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

    Re: What if I keep the babies?

    If there is not an overpopulation i guess I shouldnt have to rescue pigs from a shelter that are less than 24 hours from being put down. Shame on me for that.... Again the overpopulation of guinea pigs is just as bad as dogs and cats...tell me where you live and I guarantee that I can find pigs close to you ready to find a new home.

    I know you are just trying to stir the pot as they say and have no idea what you are doing because breeders know the lineage (sp?) of their pigs and where they came from and what genetics will cause what type of breed to be born. If you don't know these things than you are backyard breeder. You can't just throw 2 pigs together and let them breed. That is where you run into problems and have complications. You are a selfish little kid!

  30. "Thank you, Henle15, for this useful post," say these 2 members:


  31. #40
    Banned
    Joined
    Jan 27, 2005
    Location
    New York
    Posts
    231
    Thanks
    17
    Thanks
    60 Rec'd/28 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    Re: What if I keep the babies?

    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy4cavys
    OK, Artistic Rainey, ur crazy! I am a member of peta, and they even agree with having animals as pets!
    PETA is not the end-all, be-all, final authority on anything. If you were more familiar with animal rights issues and had a better understanding of PETA's philosophies, history, and strategies, and how they've all evolved over time, you'd realize that PETA doesn't really support breeding, no matter how badly you want to believe they do.

    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy4cavys
    People only have kids because they want them, so wht don't you just go call your mother selfish?
    Actually I do... every time I speak to her. In fact, we had a long, somewhat heated discussion about this exact topic on this forum well before you came along with your silly ideas and intolerant stubbornness.

    Instead of posting like an immature child and trying to get us to accept ideas we've already analyzed and rejected, maybe you should take a step back and try to learn from people who have more experience than you do.

  32. "Thank you, CF#5, for this useful post," say these 3 members:


User Tag List

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •