Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

guinea pig eating the others hair?

slfboy34

Cavy Slave
i have 2 boar guinea pigs that are 16 months old the black and white is a short haired, the brown and white has longer hair. i have recently noticed that the black/white has started to pull the hair out of the brown/white in chunks from its rear end and eat it? they seem to get on fine and dont seem to fight. any ideas?

Pumpkin_RIP

Cavy Slave
I have read that they usually do this to the "underdog" of a group. It isn't very common, and I'm not sure what you can really do to stop it.

I would check with someone else though, because I'm not completely sure that where I read that info is a reliable source. I just thought I would put that idea out there as a likely possibilty.

EDIT: since Pigsforlife says they do it from bordeum or jealously, maybe you could give them new toys to play with and spend more time with them? Just a suggestion.

Last edited:

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
Not harmful at all. This is called 'barbering'. Jealous or bored pigs often do it to other pigs. Guinea Lynx :: Hair Loss

lynn's Cavies

Cavy Slave
My shorthair female, Edna, does this from time to time with my sheltie, Bette, and I found it was happening more when I hadn't put enough hay in the cage to last until morning. Now that I really stock that hay up (cause they should have hay 24/7) it isn't happening as much. Edna is definitley the more dominant pig. I heard it can also be from boredom.

Dodge

Cavy Slave
I would not worry, its barbering like the previous posters said. Pig and Pinnypig ripped Charlie's long hair out at the roots and he was bald for a few weeks, I thought it was the mites that they had doing it but I realized it was only them pulling out his hair.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.