Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

i want my piggie to enjoy people.

Brittnie

Cavy Slave
Marco has always hated when i try to pet/hold her.
I've had her for 10 months and she still does not let me pet her past her nose.
Is there a secret to holding petting her?:confused:

Help i want her to enjoy people. :yawn:

RufussMom

Cavy Slave
I had one of my pigs for around 8 yrs and every time I wanted to give him affection I had to chase him around his cage to catch him and then he was fine while I held him and liked it. So, when you hold her does she still dislike you touching her? Also, maybe you are holding her in a way that is uncomfortable, so try a wrapping her in a blanket where her head is still sticking out or make her a cozy. If she is still young she may just be a hyper baby and some dont really enjoy being held. Older pigs usually dont mind it because they are more relaxed and trust their owners because they have been taking care of them for years. You have only had her for 10 months and it sometimes takes a year or two for pigs to really get comfortable and trust people. Just keep trying, dont frighten her, and spend time just talking to her while she is in the cage so she can get used to you, and try feeding her from your hand. ;)

Paula

Pigaholic Extraordinaire
Cavy Slave
Several of my pigs let me pet them in the cage and take food from me all the time but run like crazy when I try to pick them up. As soon as they are in my arms and close to my body they snuggle in and are just fine. I think it's more of a natural instinct for them since they're prey animals.

Don't take it personally, your pig's just doing what's natural. ;)

Brittnie

Cavy Slave
I had one of my pigs for around 8 yrs and every time I wanted to give him affection I had to chase him around his cage to catch him and then he was fine while I held him and liked it. So, when you hold her does she still dislike you touching her? Also, maybe you are holding her in a way that is uncomfortable, so try a wrapping her in a blanket where her head is still sticking out or make her a cozy. If she is still young she may just be a hyper baby and some dont really enjoy being held. Older pigs usually dont mind it because they are more relaxed and trust their owners because they have been taking care of them for years. You have only had her for 10 months and it sometimes takes a year or two for pigs to really get comfortable and trust people. Just keep trying, dont frighten her, and spend time just talking to her while she is in the cage so she can get used to you, and try feeding her from your hand. ;)

Thank you, i just thought she hated me, but i will give her more time.
And i have tried holding her in a blanket but i think she kinda goes into shock. And she pees everywhere.
And she eats from my hand, and i can pet her nose. But thats about it. :(

And sorry about your piggie Rufus. :weepy:

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
Does she squeak when you touch her - like she is in pain? I am wondering if she has mites (microscopic) which may be why she doesnt like being held.Must admit, I dont really have this problem. My girls come running and wheeking to the side when it is veggie time, and let me give them head and chin scritches. Picking up wise they dont run, just stay where they are.

Brittnie

Cavy Slave
Does she squeak when you touch her - like she is in pain? I am wondering if she has mites (microscopic) which may be why she doesnt like being held.Must admit, I dont really have this problem. My girls come running and wheeking to the side when it is veggie time, and let me give them head and chin scritches. Picking up wise they dont run, just stay where they are.

Thanks for the help.
No she doesnt squeak she just kinda jumps around. And runs away.
Should i take her to the vet?

PigWooBus

Cavy Slave
My pigs run away when I try to pick them up, too. I think it is their natural instinct. Woodstock and Buster live in one cage and they have always run--they will take food out of my hands and seem content once I am holding them and petting them--but while they are in the cage they run away so fast if I try to pet them or pick them up.

Piglet, on the other hand, is very friendly and will always take food from me and pet him while he is in the cage, but even he still usually runs a little if he thinks I am trying to pick him up. He is not too fast though, you will know why if you have seen his pictures. And sometimes he cries (makes noises like he's upset) if I try to walk anywhere once I've picked him up, but is fine once we are sitting down somewhere. I can see how being up high and moving would be scary to him.

I recently adopted a spayed female, Petunia, so Piglet would have a friend in his cage, and she is still pretty young and skittish. But she is warming up to me fast and usually will let me pet her while she is in the cage. She also runs when I am trying to pick her up, but it's less and less, and she doesn't run away nearly as fast as I know she can--it seems almost like she's not really trying. Maybe she thinks I'm okay but also still thinks she should run anyway. I'm not sure.

pigsforlife

Cavy Slave
Most pigs do run - it is their natural instinct as they are prey animals. If after you have treated her for mites (see your other thread - the shedding one, I gave you a couple of links), she still runs or doesnt like being petted I wouldnt worry. Just rule out mites first.

AneesasMuse

Cavy Slave
I'm glad I read this thread ...I was starting to get a little bit of a complex about Giorgi not liking me. He was fine in the store ..sittin' on the counter, waiting for someone to adopt him... and let me pick him up and even snuggle him to me. Then I got him home.. haha!! No need to put on the "friendly face" anymore... the sucker lady fell for the "sweet piggy". :p

He's a doll baby and he wheeks like he's crazy when he hears me approaching in the hallway, but he does NOT want to be picked up. I can scritch his face, ears, and his back.. about midway to his rumpus.. and then he darts away to his hidey house. If I try to gently pick him up, he quickly snaps his head and gives me a warning nip. :crazy:

Since I don't have any idea what Giorgi's life was like before me, I don't really put any particular expectations on him. He doesn't have to like being held or picked up right now.. he's only been here a month, or less... he has time to come around. And he does take food from my hands.. his salads and other stuff.. even treats. :)

willowfaery

Cavy Slave
My Willow hates the picking up process. She's so fast and she always finds the most difficult hiding places to run into. At first, she didn't like to be petted that much. Now, if she's not in a hyper mood, she will lay down on my chest and let me pet her. She even makes these little short purring noises.
I think every pig is going to be different. And it just takes time.

mbator

Cavy Slave
Don't feel bad, mine are like that too, I have one that loves me but will give me a small bite when he has had enough and the others 5 of them run from me and act like they have never seen me before, so I guess it does take time.

Cherish

Cavy Slave
As has already been said, it's just the prey instinct kicking in.

However, I find that they are much more friendly, relaxed and easier to handle if they have a friend to live with. Again, it's just their survival instinct; if they see other healthy pigs around, they're less likely to assume there's danger.

Whenever I get a new pig, the complete personality change from when they're in quarantine to when I introduce them to the other pigs never fails to amaze me.

Brittnie

Cavy Slave
Im moving next month and she is getting a new, bigger cage. If i get her a friend do you think she would mellow out?

Haley0489

Cavy Slave
Im moving next month and she is getting a new, bigger cage. If i get her a friend do you think she would mellow out?

She might, she might not; some piggies will never become "lap pigs." However, guinea pigs are herd animals and do better in groups. Getting a friend will definitely benefit her overall happiness, human handling or not. :)

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.