Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n 10 Steps to Going Vegetarian and other tips

CavySpirit

Administrator
Staff member
Cavy Slave
I really like this simple page of advice:

10 Steps to Going Vegetarian

If you have other positive 'how to' pages of advice for going vegetarian, please post them here. Please refrain from posting all the 'why you should go vegetarian' links. Just the how-to's for this thread. I'd like to make this thread a sticky for the top of the forum.

Thanks.

chrishall1979

Cavy Slave
There is really only 1 How-to in my opinion. And here it is.

1.) Make a choice that you aren't going to believe all the lies the meat industry pushes down our gullets year after year. Make YOUR choice that it isn't fair to the animals. What makes one creature more sacred than another? Do we treat cats and dogs different because the are domesticated? Well then I have news for you. Cows are domesticated, so are pigs, and sheep. As none of them were originally from this continent. Make the choice that you will not eat meat or consume animal products. It has to be your choice and you have to be ready to make the change and stand for your beliefs.

The only other would be 1 1/2) and that is. Speak out to others about the horrors of how their meat is processed. How leather is harvested. How it takes at least 30 living things to make ONE fur coat. Read about how wool is harvested. AND SPEAK OUT!!! But the ONE AND ONLY clear rule is.... STOP!

I gave up all meat in 1 day. None of this weening yourself off of it. Do not let one more animal die needlessly. The only way is cold turkey just like cigarettes.

I think I stayed away from reasons why you should and kept it on topic.

The whole How-To is QUIT NOW! Not tomorrow, not a week from now, not sometime. RIGHT NOW! Ok I feel better!

Chris

mncavylover

Cavy Slave
That's what I did, except for seafood. I'm gradually getting off that. Sometimes people find that gradual change is better, though I see where you're coming from.

kavykritter

Cavy Slave
Well, that is a great idea to go completely off meat in one instant, Chriss, but for some people, that is not practical or they are not that comitted, or something. I, for example, am only 13, and I still live with my parents, and our lifestyle is such that i just can't do that, so here is how I did it.
1)get to know some vegetarian recipies and nutrition, and inform anybody you need to. (ie parents, if you live with them, whatever)

2)start eating more vegetable protien sources and enjoyable and cut the least important meat meal you eat ina day or a week, or whatever it takes for you

3)decrease how much meat you are eating as slowly as is necessary, and as quickly as is possible and as you would like to.

4) go 100% veggie, and make the commitement to keep it that way!

zariex

Cavy Slave
chrishall1979 said:
There is really only 1 How-to in my opinion. And here it is.

1.) Make a choice that you aren't going to believe all the lies the meat industry pushes down our gullets year after year. Make YOUR choice that it isn't fair to the animals. What makes one creature more sacred than another? Do we treat cats and dogs different because the are domesticated? Well then I have news for you. Cows are domesticated, so are pigs, and sheep. As none of them were originally from this continent. Make the choice that you will not eat meat or consume animal products. It has to be your choice and you have to be ready to make the change and stand for your beliefs.

The only other would be 1 1/2) and that is. Speak out to others about the horrors of how their meat is processed. How leather is harvested. How it takes at least 30 living things to make ONE fur coat. Read about how wool is harvested. AND SPEAK OUT!!! But the ONE AND ONLY clear rule is.... STOP!

I gave up all meat in 1 day. None of this weening yourself off of it. Do not let one more animal die needlessly. The only way is cold turkey just like cigarettes.

I think I stayed away from reasons why you should and kept it on topic.

The whole How-To is QUIT NOW! Not tomorrow, not a week from now, not sometime. RIGHT NOW! Ok I feel better!

Chris

I have to agree with you wholeheartedly. I went vegan about five months ago and I wouldn't have been able to do it without going cold turkey. I liked [I don't feel anything for them anymore] some stuff... I work at Dunkin' Donuts so milk products surround me all the time. I had to just one day decide "never again."

Alanas

Cavy Slave
I would really like to go Vegetarian, however I have tried many substitutes like tofu etc, and I can't stand it. I actually crave meat and I hate that I do. What can I eat that I can chew and feel satisfied with? I had a vegetarian pasta the other day and I hated it. Is there hope for me? Is there anyone else out there who used to be like me? I need help!

guineapiglvr14

Cavy Slave
I think I am like you because I don't like much veg. stuff!

CF#5
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

piggy_love

Cavy Slave
attention all ppls that hav a tough decision of goin veg or not

I have been thinking about going veg. too. But I think that if I do I should be veg. every other month or week. That way we don't have to have a craving for meat products ALL the time. and then you can make a final decision.
:eek:

ImissNibbles

Cavy Slave
"Someday" definitely isn't a good mentality to use. That is what I started out saying. That got me nowhere. It takes making the decision to do it in an instant I think. You just have to decide you are going to do it and really do it. Sometimes certain experiences will help you do this. . .(seeing fried guinea pigs did it for me!)

SleepyBirdy
  • Post hidden due to user being banned.

Greenwalker

Cavy Slave
I think that personality has alot to do with it. If you're the kind of person who likes to carefully plan things out, and make sure everything is accounted for, then the gradual method is probably for you. Suddenly cutting out something that this type of person has had every day of their life would be tramatic an uneffective.

Now, on the other hand, if your a rather "emotional" spur-of-the-moment-desition-maker like me, the sudden switch would probably be best. If this type of person tried to gradually limit their meat intake, they might just get boared and change their mind; this type of person likes to change their mind quickly. I remember when I first decided to go vegetarian, my mom told me that we were going to out favorite resteraunt, I went upstairs to get dressed, happily dreaming of a meat dish, suddenly though of dead pigs, and came downstairs stating that I was a vegetarian. Both of my parents teased me and said I'd eat meat the next day, but it's been two years and no meat for me!

I think what really helped me make the switch was the fact that the last bit of meat I had was awful. You see, my mother had bought some pre-seasoned pork, but it was really salty and chewy; gross! That's the last meat I remember having, and how could I pine for that? If I'd gone to that resteraunt and had "one last meat dish" (like my mom suggested) it would feel like I was punnishing myself.

BabyGrl

Cavy Slave
I just stopped eating meat cold turkey. It has worked well for me. A few things in the beginning had not been easy. My husband and my favorite resturant is a steakhouse. We still go there to eat but now I just get the vegetarian plate. I basically eat eveything I would have minus the steak. I still enjoy going out and can feel better about it because my meal is healthier for me now.
At first my husband teased me about it but now he is very supportive. I am one of those people that goes on a diet for like 2 days and gets sick of it. He thought this would be like that but he knows now that it is serious and he is really proud of me.

WritingLife

Cavy Slave
I think it helps to stop thinking in terms of "meat replacement" or even "main dish." We're so used to meat being the main dish and vegetables to being mere side dishes, that when we go from meat-eating to vegetarian eating, we still think, "Okay, what do I replace the meat with?" We picture a plate with peas, mashed potatoes, and a giant blank spot. What goes in the blank spot. Veggie loaf? Meat eaters all cringe at the thought.

Instead, I may serve up several dishes that contribute equally to a meal: a thick bean soup, a hearty whole grain bread (I love my bread machine!), and a tossed salad with walnuts and some really good cheese.

I'm not vegetarian now, but I have been in the past. For me, it's not a matter of labels and rules, and deciding, "Now I'm a vegetarian, now I have to eat certain things." For me, it's simply that I find vegetarian foods more interesting, with a wider variety of flavors and textures. When you think about it, there are only a few kinds of meat that we can get at the grocery store, so meat every day gets boring. I'm also weird about food textures. I can't STAND squishy fat and chewy gristle, even a bit of it, in my food, so often it's simply easier to order something vegetarian at a restaurant than order the chicken chow mein and wonder, "Is it going to have that icky squishy cheap chicken that all the Asian restaurants use, with the fat and skin still on?"

Vegetarian cooking is also more ecologically sound, since you're eating low on the food chain. And since I garden, and can even keep chard and (with some care) lettuce going all year round, I have a supply of really, really fresh, sweet veggies of a quality that you can't get in the store. There's a world of difference between asparagus from the grocery section and asparagus fresh cut from your own garden. There are delicious varieties of vegetables and fruits that you can't buy at the store at all (I grow a variety of carrot that is so sweet and crisp that you can't just yank it out of the ground it or it will break off -- you have to dig it up. And I can't find salsify, also called oyster root, at the store at all). And how much more pleasant it is to walk outside a pluck fresh, soft sprigs of rosemary than to shake dry little needles out of a jar.

When I do use meat, I often prefer to use it IN things, as an ingredient or even a condiment rather than a large slab of boring plain meat. And that's another way for carnivores to taper off: find good "peasant food" dishes that use small amounts of meat, like Tuscan pasta dishes with white beans and rosemary in a wine sauce with slices of sausage. Before you know it, you can leave out the sausage and hardly notice. If you go for gourmet vegetarian cooking instead of the dreary "Drink your soy-molasses-brewer's yeast super drink and eat your tofu loaf because they're GOOD for you!" routine that characterized (rightly or wrongly) so much of the 70's health food movement, you'll soon find yourself thinking, "Broiled chicken breast? With mashed potatoes and peas? That's it? Booooring!"

JackSpicerRules

Cavy Slave
I'm the biggest wannabe vegetarian ever. Since I'm young and live with my parents, going Veg. won't be so easy. And my school doesn't have anything without meat in it except the really gross school egg-salad-that-has-been-sitting-out-for-3-hours. My mom cooks alot of things with meat in it except on Fridays, which is our meat-free day.

I guess I can try to be a part-time veg. I'll cut down on the meat at school and maybe pack lunches instead. PB&J sounds good. Yeah. Or maybe cut down on everything a little bit. I want to be veg. a lot, mainly because this site supports it. I'm gonna try... :) Maybe I'll get the tuna salad sandwich tomorrow. Tuna is yummy. Too bad my school doesn't serve PB&J lol

PeruRodent

Cavy Slave
(broken link removed)

Whit23ney

Cavy Slave
I went Vegan two days ago. Cold Turkey, and I used to eat A LOT of meat! Like three meals a day and then some....beef jerkey was a common snack. I found that eating a portabella mushroom burger for dinner at night has stopped any cravings for meat entirely. I put garlic A1 sauce with some lettuce on a sesame seed bun with my Portabella burger and it tastes the same as a hamburger to me. It's not about only eating vegetables, although I have at least one salad a day, it's about finding things to replace your meat products with things that are similar that help cravings go away. Makes this transition really easy for me. Imitation crab meat it actually really yummy in salads as well. I've been putting that in instead of chicken in my salads. Been working so far!

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Have you checked the ingredients in your imitation crab meat Whit23ney? Most imitation crabmeat is pollock or another fish that is treated with spices and flavorings, so that it tastes like crab. If you have a brand of imitation crabmeat that is truly vegetarian, please post the brand here.

Whit23ney

Cavy Slave
Percy's Mom said:
Have you checked the ingredients in your imitation crab meat Whit23ney? Most imitation crabmeat is pollock or another fish that is treated with spices and flavorings, so that it tastes like crab. If you have a brand of imitation crabmeat that is truly vegetarian, please post the brand here.

No, no I haven't checked. When I saw 'imitation' crab meat I figured it was only imitation cause there was a demand for it from vegarians who want meat-free seafood alternatives. Why the hell would they make imitation crab meat only to make it fish anyways? What's the point in that? Damn it! Am I going to have to read labels on my veggie burgers for forbidden stuff too? ~sigh~
I'll have to check when I get home. If it's truly meat free I'll post the brand but with this new found info, I'm guessing not.
Seriously, what's the point of imitation crab meat made out of fish? Might as well just be crab meat!

Percy's Mom

Cavy Slave
Actually there is an answer for that. It's not made for vegetarians. Imitation crab meat is made for people who are allergic to shellfish or for religious reasons do not eat shellfish. There are alternatives to pork products as well. Turkey ham, pastrami, or bacon for example. Generally speaking, if you're going to be a vegetarian or vegan, you should read the labels on everything. Animal byproducts and dairy products sneak into all sorts of unexpected places.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.