Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Veg*n 10 Steps to Going Vegetarian and other tips

Sabriel

Cavy Slave
Finally, someone who understands exactly why I hate pulp!

Squirle

Cavy Slave
Very interesting topic, its really informative!

I decided to be vegetarian about a month ago but I still haven't got off meat completely. I eat things like hot dogs, hamburgers, pepperoni and chicken but I used to eat much more meat! I only eat meat at dinner and somtimes at lunch but I'd still like to keep going until I've cut off meat completely. What do you reccommend to help substitute the protien from meat? I try to have more cheese and eggs (I don't concider them meat) but I still feel I should get a little more protien for my diet. Suggestions? Thank you

tcarey

Cavy Slave
I have been 'sort of' vegetarian for the past year or so. Last month I was on holidays and while leisurely poking through a used book store in Sidney, BC, I came across this book:

"For the Vegetarian in You" by Billy Ray Boyd (1996, Prima Publishing, Rocklin, California, USA).

This book is a compelling yet easy to read account of a man, raised in the Ozark mountain area in a pro-hunting culture, and how he became a vegetarian and then a vegan. He goes on to talk about the personal and worldwide implications of meat-eating vs. veg lifestyles. Once I read that we could feed the world easily if everyone went vegetarian, instead of feeding that food to 'food animals' destined for slaughter to feed (likely more privileged) humans, I knew I had to stop eating meat.

My first step toward vegetarianism came last year when on another holiday to BC I found myself parked on the loading deck of a BC ferry beside a chicken transport truck. When I went to get into my vehicle after the ferry ride, I looked over at the chicken truck, at first just pissed off that some chicken poo had gotten on my car. Then I made eye contact with one of the five or six chickens (or the chicken made eye contact with me, I'm not sure which) who were stuffed into a cage only 1 foot high. The truck must have contained hundreds of these cages. I felt nothing but shame to be a human being at that moment. Mr. Boyd's book has helped me work towards the promise I made to those chickens that day. I encourage everyone to read it.

JarBax

Cavy Slave
I know exactly where you're coming from with the eye contact. I have been there with cows, and with a chimpanzee at the zoo. Something I will never forget.

I will look out for that book - it sounds really interesting. I wonder if it is published over here? (Just off to search Amazon...) Thanks!

mgeorge

Cavy Slave
i'm trying to go veggie. I am slowly going off of it by limiting one meat a day and no meat two days out of the week. I'm slowly going to make more and more no meat days.

kristinlove

Cavy Slave
I'm young, and its hard to go vegetarian because your parents pretty mich decide what to cook. But I've been trying hard, and really, this site is my motivation. Instead of bacon and sausage every morning, I eat a grilled cheese and a pickle. It really isn't as hard as it seems subsituting meat in your diet. I eat salads a lot for a meal when my parents are eating hamburgers or something. I just decided today to really become vegetarian.

Love4Piggers

Cavy Slave
I was strictly vegan for about 4 years. It's kind of complicated why I'm not any more, and I don't want to get this thread off-topic. But I just wanted to say, there was a time when I didn't even know what a vegan was, and I'm sure there must be others who aren't clear on what veganism is either.

Vegans eat no animals or animal byproducts whatsoever. When you're a strict vegan, that means no meat, dairy, eggs, honey, gelatin, or refined sugar made with bone char. Which means a lot of label-reading, and confusing the hec out of waiters at restaurants making special orders and such. But if you don't mind all that, I say go for it. I think being vegan is wonderful if you are willing to put in the time and self-discipline that it takes.

Most vegetarians are lacto-ovo, which means they don't eat meat, but do consume eggs and dairy.

Just wanted to clarify for people that weren't sure of the difference.

i-love-nev

Cavy Slave
I would really like to go Vegetarian, however I have tried many substitutes like tofu etc, and I can't stand it. I actually crave meat and I hate that I do. What can I eat that I can chew and feel satisfied with? I had a vegetarian pasta the other day and I hated it. Is there hope for me? Is there anyone else out there who used to be like me? I need help!

Me two! I craved meat when I went cold turkey hated not having it! I feel the best I have in 14 years just from like 1 month of being vegetarian! youde be glad to do it! I hate tofu, the only 'fake meat' I have found that I like is linda mccartneys burgers, sausages etc etc and all no meat :heart: please go vegetarian! go cold turkey! you will feel sooooo much better! my energy level has like tripled since I went vegatarian a run round a few fields used to ware me out not now :silly: I can go round a the fields 5 times and I want to run more and more he he!

kristinlove

Cavy Slave
I just became a vegetarian today. I just stopped. I've tried before, but I was never committed. I'm motivated now. I had a talk with my mom, telling her that I would do my own grocery shopping (though she could help pay :)), and I would even cook my own meals. I really think I can stick with it this time. It really has come to the point where meat sickens me. It's kind of like when you decide to stop drinking soda. After a while without it, it makes your stomach upset to drink it. I just stopped eating meat today, but it just hasn't tasted good to me anymore.

guineapigluver1

Cavy Slave
Good for you! When I went vegetarian, I went cold turkey and didn't have a problem, though I suspect it's because I rarely ate meat anyways. My mom doesn't cook meat a whole lot either.

Last edited:
Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.