Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cosidering a Rabbit...

AbsLoveSnicks

Cavy Slave
Okay, so after a relative was talking about her bunny, she has kind of pursuaded my mom to get me a bun, so I'm going to do the rest of the pursuading! So here is a couple questions about pet rabbits:

Okay, so I was thinking that I would make my guinea pig cage into 3 levels, the top level for my pigs and the bottom 2 for a rabbit, and the bottom part for the rabbit would be 4 by 3, and the top part would be 3 by 3, is that a good size for one or two rabbits to stay in when I'm not home or sleeping? Would it be okay for the bunny to be so close to a guinea pig?

What's the best food for bunnys pellet wise? I was thinking most likely Oxbow and that's easy because they sell Oxbow rabbit food with the guinea pig food at a local pet shop.

Can rabbits eat the same fruits and veggies guinea pigs can eat?

Would I ever let a rabbit meet my pigs or not, never housed together though or left alone.

Is there any specific breed of rabbits that are good for 1st time owners? Because the rabbit rescue I'm looking at (Midwest Rabbit Rescue & Re-home) has many different breeds of rabbits who need good homes.

Are rabbits okay with just theirselves, or are they like piggys and can get depressed if they don't have a buddy?

Can guinea pigs catch sickness from rabbits or rabbits catch sickness from guinea pigs?

Even though alot of rabbits are already litter trained at rescues, do you teach them to use the litter box the same way guinea pigs learn?

Would rabbits chew up fleece or not? If you use bedding can they still not use the same kind of bedding guinea pigs can't use?

Should a even bother with using coroplast since rabbits are big chewers?

Would they need a ramp up to a 2nd level one grid higher?

Okay, that's all the questions I have right now. Sorry if there is alot, but I really want to pursuade my mom with knowing everything a rabbit needs.

naturestee

Cavy Slave
Holy questions!lol

First of all, Midwest is awesome! I know several people that volunteer and/or foster for them.

Have you thought about adopting a pair? Rabbits love company. Some rabbits do ok on their own, others don't. The rescue people should be able to help you find one that's ok as a single, if you want.

The cage sounds like a great size for most rabbits. As long as you don't get a Flemish Giant (and I don't think they have any there), you're good.

Oxbow timothy pellets are the best stuff ever. Make sure to get some of what Midwest has been feeding the bun and switch them over slowly.

Safe veggie list:
Suggested Vegetables

Rabbits can carry bacteria that can infect cavies. But... I know quite a few people who keep both with no problems (separate cages of course). I wouldn't be comfortable letting them play together though because rabbits are so much stronger.
https://www.guineapigcages.com/rabbits.htm

I use fleece for my foster, but she's really the best behaved rabbit I've ever met by far, and I volunteer with rabbits at my local shelter. I usually prefer grass mats but couldn't find any on short notice that time. A lot of bunnies really just like the bare floor, as long as it's not terribly slippery. Those furry feet slide! Aside from the foster bun (in a slippery-floored dog crate), my buns have textured vinyl floor with a soft grass mat to lay on. I frequently see them sleeping on the bare floor or bare wood shelves, even though they love their grass mats too.

You can use coroplast, just fold it different so that the cage grids are inside of the coroplast flaps, not outside. Most rabbits don't need a ramp for a 1 grid high shelf, but some like it. I don't use ramps and my buns don't have any problems.

Good luck! I hope you can get a bun or two. I adore mine!

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.