Where People & Piggies Thrive

Newbie or Guinea Guru? Popcorn in!

Register for free to enjoy the full benefits.
Find out more about the NEW, drastically improved site and forum!

Register

Cage Suggestions for 2-Level?

ellenelle

Cavy Slave
I have three piggies right now. One of them has been very grouchy, and our vet suggested that we separate her from the other two to see if her mood improves. She is actually behaving much better, acting friendlier and running around the cage again.

The problem is that if this ends up being a long-term thing, I will need a more permanent solution to our housing issues. Right now we are splitting our 2x5 into a 2x3 and a 2x2 with a partition... way too small for our piggies!

I was thinking a two-level cage... 2x5 on the bottom, and a 2x3 on top. I am a little bit worried about safety, about the lower piggies getting enough light, and about whether we will be able to catch the lower girls with most of the top being closed off. Does anyone have suggestions on how to pull this off? Or alternate suggestions for our best housing options if we need to separate our squeakers permanently?

Thanks!!

dagwellismypigy

Cavy Slave
I had a setup similar to what you're describing, it was a 2x6 on top for 3 males and 2x3 on the bottom. [pic1] [pic2]

I really liked the cage and Atticus, the single pig, enjoyed being in the darker cage, I guess he thought the whole cage was a giant hidey house. I would have liked to keep it, but had to remodel due to fighting unrelated to the cage.

https://www.guineapigcages.com/photos/showphoto.php/photo/5706/ppuser/997

ellenelle

Cavy Slave
Nice, I like how the door flips up... that solves the catching and safety problem in one swoop. Maybe we will do that for our girls instead.

Status
This thread has been closed due to inactivity. You can create a new thread to discuss this topic.